3D Question regarding 3D Blu Ray Disc Movies

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 15, 2010
Does anyone here know if all 3D Blu Ray Disc movies can play in a 2D Blu Ray Disc Player in 3D, that has successfully played Journey to the Center of the Earth 3D in 2D and in 3D before ? :wtf: . Also, Do all 3D Blu Ray Disc movies come with 3D Glasses ? :wtf: .

I respectfully disagree. I have a feeling, that it says on the back of all 3D blu ray disc movies something such as "Special glasses (included in package) required for 3-D viewing", or something very similar to that, and that means that it can play on both 3D and 2D blu ray disc players, and on 2D and 3D hdtv's. Also, all 3D blu ray disc movies have to be able to have 3D glasses that come with it, or else it wouldn't work, whether its playing on a 2D blu ray disc player that's 3D compatible, and 2D hdtv, or 3D blu ray disc player and and 3D hdtv, not including the 3D glasses that come with the 3D blu ray disc player or 3D hdtv.

Actually, I already have a copy of DisneyNature Oceans and there is even and advertisement on it that promotes the upcoming Disney 3d movies as 4 discs ... "Future Proof" as they promote it. Alice and Wonderland is one (yellow cover) So is A Christmas Carol

1. Blu-ray disc 2D
2. Blu-ray disc 3D
3. DVD
4. Digital Copy

Maybe you will believe Amazon more than us,

This Blu-ray disc will display only in 2D without special hardware. To watch this movie in Blu-ray 3D, you will need a 3D-capable television that comes with active-shutter glasses and a 3D-capable Blu-ray player. See 3D 101 for full details.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003NFM3JU/?tag=hidefnin-20

I understand that you're thinking that without the "new" 3D that you could watch it in old 3D. However, take the new ps3 games that have and will have 3D effect.

ie. Killzone 3 - It has been stated in many magazines promoting the 3D that if you have a 3D setup then you will see parts of the game that they want you to see (projectiles) in 3D. But for those without the new 3D the game will play as normal. ie. ONE DISC. Thus, your movie would play as normal if you dont have the new 3D tech.

That is why they are starting to sell these 4 disc and 3 disc sets including both the regular BD and the 3D BD. You are "Future Proofing" yourself in the sense that for a small premium you get both versions. So if you upgrade later you already have the 3D discs. Very much like the same marketing model of combining Blu-rays and DVDs. Those who have DVDs, but get blu-rays too so when they upgrade to blu-ray they are already in their collection.

Last edited:
Actually, I already have a copy of DisneyNature Oceans and there is even and advertisement on it that promotes the upcoming Disney 3d movies as 4 discs ... "Future Proof" as they promote it. Alice and Wonderland is one (yellow cover) So is A Christmas Carol

1. Blu-ray disc 2D
2. Blu-ray disc 3D
3. DVD
4. Digital Copy

Maybe you will believe Amazon more than us,

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003NFM3JU/?tag=hidefnin-20

I understand that you're thinking that without the "new" 3D that you could watch it in old 3D. However, take the new ps3 games that have and will have 3D effect.

ie. Killzone 3 - It has been stated in many magazines promoting the 3D that if you have a 3D setup then you will see parts of the game that they want you to see (projectiles) in 3D. But for those without the new 3D the game will play as normal. ie. ONE DISC. Thus, your movie would play as normal if you dont have the new 3D tech.

That is why they are starting to sell these 4 disc and 3 disc sets including both the regular BD and the 3D BD. You are "Future Proofing" yourself in the sense that for a small premium you get both versions. So if you upgrade later you already have the 3D discs. Very much like the same marketing model of combining Blu-rays and DVDs. Those who have DVDs, but get blu-rays too so when they upgrade to blu-ray they are already in their collection.

I think what i'm going to do, is that i'm going to go ahead and buy the 3D Blu Ray Disc version of a movie, that i want to get, and if it just so happens that you guys are right, and it doesn't work in 3D, and doesn't come with 3D glasses, then i will return it, and will let you all know what happens, afterwords ;) .

---------- Post added at 03:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:36 PM ----------

Ok well go buy a movie and slap on your red and blue glasses and enjoy.

That's what i'm going to go ahead and do. But, i still think that ALL 3D Blu Ray Disc movies come with their own 3D Glasses, and can work in a 2D hdtv that's a 3D compatible hdtv and blu ray disc player, that has played a 3D blu ray disc movie before in 3D with no problem. Sorry for my stubborn personality, but those who have 3D hdtvs, can watch 3D blu ray disc movies, have the option of watching the 3D blu ray disc movies in two ways, which is either with the 3D glasses that come with the 3D hdtv's usually, or with the 3D glasses that come with the 3D blu ray disc movies, which i do know that as a fact. Also, the people who have a regular hdtv and blu ray disc player, such as like i do, can watch 2D blu ray disc movies, and can also watch 3D blu ray disc movies in 3D, as long as 3D glasses come with the 3D blu ray disc movie, and also as long as, it says "Blu Ray 3D", and not "Blu Ray 3D Only", which "3D Blu Ray Only" means that it's "Only" for 3D hdtvs and 3D blu ray disc players. And besides, discs indentified as "Blu Ray 3D" are compatible with both 3D and 2D players, and both 3D and 2D hdtvs, while those marked "3D Only", "As i just said" , require only a 3D player, and 3D hdtv.

Last edited:
Please record your attempt to play the NEW 3D spec disc on your current setup and slap on your red and blue glasses. Upload it here and well see some results!

Please record your attempt to play the NEW 3D spec disc on your current setup and slap on your red and blue glasses. Upload it here and well see some results!

Well, i'll just be able to "tell" you what happens, i wont be able to do nothing more then that. I wont be able upload videos or pictures on here though, because i'm not familiar with putting my own personal pictures on a comptuer, and i don't have camera that i can put pictures from a camera, on to the computer.

Instead of buying it, just pick it up and read the back to see if glasses are incuded. Case solved.

Instead of buying it, just pick it up and read the back to see if glasses are incuded. Case solved.
No let him buy it and open it :hilarious: Im done talking about this topic.

Ps. I really hope your just messing with us and having a good laugh. If not. Well................

That's exactly what i'm going to do, before buying it. If it has the glasses, and it says so on the blu ray disc case, that it has them included with it, then i will buy it.

---------- Post added at 04:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:32 PM ----------

No let him buy it and open it :hilarious: Im done talking about this topic.

Ps. I really hope your just messing with us and having a good laugh. If not. Well................

No, i'm going to look on the outside of the blu ray disc case, to make sure that it says that the 3D glasses are included with the movie, and are inside the blu ray disc case.

If you find a movie that has glasses that is not the new 3D spec. Its the lame red/blue glasses. If you want true 3D then go to your local Best Buy and check out the displays and look at the glasses they require. Everyone here is telling you what's required for True 3D.

If you find a movie that has glasses that is not the new 3D spec. Its the lame red/blue glasses. If you want true 3D then go to your local Best Buy and check out the displays and look at the glasses they require. Everyone here is telling you what's required for True 3D.

Well, i was told by one of the people who work at a Best Buy store, when i went to a Best Buy store a few weeks ago, he said that 3D blu ray disc movies come with 3D glasses in the blu ray pack. And, i also asked him if they, meaning 3D blu ray movies, can play in a 2D hdtv, and 2D blu ray disc player in 3D, that are 3D compatible, and he said yes. I also recently went to a Target store, and went to the hdtv area/blu ray disc player area there, and asked someone who worked there, those exact same questions that i asked someone at best buy, and i was told by the person working there at a target store, the exact same thing that the person at best buy told me.

Look the guy (target/best buy employees) is only saying that IF the blu-ray has red and blue glasses in it that it will work in OLD 3d on regular tv with blu-ray player. But all the new 3d movies dont have the glasses is what we are saying. The technology works in a different way so even if you put on some red and blue glasses on a new 3d BD then it will suck and not work right.

Yes Best Buy employees are not allow to EVER lie and they are always correct. My mistake.

Oh my gosh, i knew there was something weird about that! EEK! . So, then this means that, i was right all along! :D .

---------- Post added at 11:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:59 PM ----------

Look the guy (target/best buy employees) is only saying that IF the blu-ray has red and blue glasses in it that it will work in OLD 3d on regular tv with blu-ray player. But all the new 3d movies dont have the glasses is what we are saying. The technology works in a different way so even if you put on some red and blue glasses on a new 3d BD then it will suck and not work right.

Well, the way i see it, is that even if the 3D Blu Ray movie comes with a 3D hdtv, or the other way around, then it should still come with a few 3D glasses in the blu ray disc case with the movie, because the people who put the disc in the blu ray disc case before sending and selling it in stores that sell it, know that it is a 3D movie, so they would have to put 3D glasses in there, so that the people want to see the movie, but don't have a 3D hdtv and 3D blu ray disc player could still see it in 3D if they wanted to. So, in that sense, it just wouldn't make sense to not have 3D glasses for a 3D Blu ray Disc movie, even if the movie is compatible with a 3D hdtv and 3D blu ray disc player that has 3D glasses as well, because most likely, people will want to buy the movie who don't have a 3D hdtv and 3D blu ray disc player, should still be able to see it in 3D as well, with their 2D hdtv that is 3D "compatible", as well as their 2D blu ray disc player that is 3D compatible too.

Last edited:
As horhay said before there are 2 different types of 3D movies.

Any movie with the Blu-ray 3D on top, in a clear case is for the new 3D TVs and new shutter glasses that cost $150 a piece. These movies can only be used in a 3D capable Blu-ray player to play 3D.

Any movie that is all blue like a regular case and says " Journey to the center of the Earth in 3D" and also says" 3D glasses included" use the old 70's technology of blue and red 3D. These can be played in any Blu-ray player.

Your BD300 is not 3D capable.

Yes, it came with 4 3D glasses, and it can play in 2D, with out the 3D glasses on my blu ray disc player and hdtv, and also in 3D with the 3D glasses too. I was thinking that if the 3D blu ray disc movie cover says on it "Blu Ray 3D", then it would play fine in a 2D blu ray disc player and 2D hdtv, that are both 3D compatible with 3D, but if it says "Blu Ray 3D Only", then it would only play on 3D hdtv's and 3D blu ray disc players.

let me clear this up, lol

all 3D movies that require the Active Glasses to work with 3D TV's are NOT 3D only, you can watch in 2D

Sean, right now, you should only buy the 3D blu rays that come with the paper glasses, because once you open up that Blu Ray, its yours, you wont be able to bring it back...........

As horhay said before there are 2 different types of 3D movies.

Any movie with the Blu-ray 3D on top, in a clear case is for the new 3D TVs and new shutter glasses that cost $150 a piece. These movies can only be used in a 3D capable Blu-ray player to play 3D.

Any movie that is all blue like a regular case and says " Journey to the center of the Earth in 3D" and also says" 3D glasses included" use the old 70's technology of blue and red 3D. These can be played in any Blu-ray player.

Your BD300 is not 3D capable.

That is why from now on, i'm going to be checking the 3D blu ray disc movie before i buy it. I'm going to make sure it doesn't say "Blu Ray 3D Only", and i'm also going make sure it says on it that 3D glasses are included with it, before i buy it. Also, if they don't take it back, if i were to return it, then i could always just tell them, that there was something wrong with the 3D blu ray movie, and not take it back with me.

---------- Post added at 12:32 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:26 AM ----------

let me clear this up, lol

all 3D movies that require the Active Glasses to work with 3D TV's are NOT 3D only, you can watch in 2D

Sean, right now, you should only buy the 3D blu rays that come with the paper glasses, because once you open up that Blu Ray, its yours, you wont be able to bring it back...........

I don't want to watch a 3D blu ray movie in 2D, i want to be able to watch the 3D blu ray movie in 3D. Also, yes, that is what i am going to do, is buy the 3D blu ray movies that come with the "paper" 3D glasses. I would be able to take it back and have them take it, if i told them that it was messed up :giggle: .

Last edited:
Well, the way i see it, is that even if the 3D Blu Ray movie comes with a 3D hdtv, or the other way around, then it should still come with a few 3D glasses in the blu ray disc case with the movie, because the people who put the disc in the blu ray disc case before sending and selling it in stores that sell it, know that it is a 3D movie, so they would have to put 3D glasses in there, so that the people want to see the movie, but don't have a 3D hdtv and 3D blu ray disc player could still see it in 3D if they wanted to. So, in that sense, it just wouldn't make sense to not have 3D glasses for a 3D Blu ray Disc movie, even if the movie is compatible with a 3D hdtv and 3D blu ray disc player that has 3D glasses as well, because most likely, people will want to buy the movie who don't have a 3D hdtv and 3D blu ray disc player, should still be able to see it in 3D as well, with their 2D hdtv that is 3D "compatible", as well as their 2D blu ray disc player that is 3D compatible too.

Only in a perfect world...

I don't want to watch a 3D blu ray movie in 2D, i want to be able to watch the 3D blu ray movie in 3D. Also, yes, that is what i am going to do, is buy the 3D blu ray movies that come with the "paper" 3D glasses. I would be able to take it back and have them take it, if i told them that it was messed up :giggle: .

If you tell them its messed up you should get a return for the same item, so not much help there unless you buy at wal-mart. Instead, you should tell them its false advertising as it doesnt work in 3d.

Regardless, you've been given the answers to this like a million times and you still seem to make up answers to fit what you want it to be. Sorry man, its just the way it is. I wish it wasnt too, New tech.

I'm locking this thread, the answers are here spread through out and in many different ways.

We'd love to hear everyone's input in other 3d threads.

Status
Not open for further replies.