Raised Borders - Embossing

Jun 24, 2012
For a while now I've been getting a little tired with the borders on steelbooks...
Everybody always asks for embossed steelbooks, and I like embossing of course, but the borders just don't suit some steelbooks in my opinion, and I would prefer to go without embossing on those particular steelbooks.

I've started this thread as I see from the Aladdin thread that others maybe share my opinion.
I don't know if it's possible or not, but I would personally like to see more steelbooks debossed. Or perhaps see some different embossed effects. And I don't want to lose embossing altogether by any means, it looks perfect on some, I just don't think it's needed all the time.

Anyway feel free to share your opinions... if you love borders on all steelbooks or if you think we could do without them now and then... or if you have any good examples you would like to share.

Last edited:
A little variation is needed at times. Some of the more spectacular steels in my collection have no emboss / deboss or raised borders, some have embossed letters and some a little of both. I don't think variety is a bad thing but seems to be all similar lately

Reactions: MK50 and ETSC
I love boarders, I love embossing, but I agree there's a need for variation. Take Roger Rabbit for example. They found a unique way to create embossing without the 'standard border' around the steel.

I hate the borders it makes them look cheap and its far too common now days all zavvi exclusives now days say embossed title so i know its going to have a silly border.

I also think that some would have (possibly) looked better with a debossed title instead of it beeing embossed with a border...
But one that looks PERFECT (IMO) with embossing and Border is the The Last Stand Gold Edition!!!
We just do not "need" any embossed SB look too similar with the same formula

For example the NEW Thor and Captain America from zavvi! Think they would look much better with a debossed title... but they need ANY embossing or debossing to make them GREAT imo!!!

Bu think the UNIQUE debossed SBs like The Raid UK, Roger Rabbit or Lawless UK are great variety and HIGHLY appreciated :)

How come they can emboss slipcovers without adding the deboss around the border?

Wouldn't it be the same press for steelbooks?

How come they can emboss slipcovers without adding the deboss around the border?

Wouldn't it be the same press for steelbooks?

I dont think so, one is card and one is metal so there is probably a big difference. I imagine its a lot easier to emboss card than it is with metal.

Reactions: Nick Nameless
We need classy embossing like some of the older German titles. 1408, Deathrace, Hellboy 2, Wanted, now that's how you do a premium embossed steelbook!! Imagine if those steelbooks had a clean back to?? Nothing would touch them!!

Reactions: Monkey2005
We need classy embossing like some of the older German titles. 1408, Deathrace, Hellboy 2, Wanted, now that's how you do a premium embossed steelbook!! Imagine if those steelbooks had a clean back to?? Nothing would touch them!!

As far as I know there is no embossing on them, only debossing.

I wrote a lot about this issue yesterday. It's just obvious that many people don't understand the manufacturing process behind it and this cause some misleading comments unfortunately.

As for the embossing/debossing: Selectivity! Take logos respectively framed art for it. Artwork with just some characters and the movie title isn't tailor made.

Reactions: hayemaker
As far as I know there is no embossing on them, only debossing.

I wrote a lot about this issue yesterday. It's just obvious that many people don't understand the manufacturing process behind it and this cause some misleading comments unfortunately.

As for the embossing/debossing: Selectivity! Take logos respectively framed art for it. Artwork with just some characters and the movie title isn't tailor made.

Ok my bad, good point. Then we need more debossed steels like these German ones without a border!!

Reactions: djprodikis
I really like the "style" of border on the Zero Dark Thirty Best Buy SB. I don't like the border style on the UK Iron Man SB. I'm a total sucker for embossing / debossing, however. I think a regular "flat" SB needs some seriously badass artwork for it to stand out, otherwise i'd be just as happy with an amaray + slipcover.

The Raid UK is a great example. Only the title is debossed, but the artwork is fantastic. I bought it before i even knew about the debossed title.

I think a lot of the more recent SBs have suffered from uninspired, over used, boring artwork due to the massive amount of releases and re-prints we've been seeing. It's a shame, really. To me, SBs used to be something special....but apparently that's slowly coming to an end.

I like the thin border on the now deceased Viva cases. The steelbook boarders make it look too much like a Lunch Box.

Viva's were always classy. :scat::scat: Like I said before, Aladdin is a very good steel but still feel the border was not necessary at all. Other than the vmb's that have a very subtle border, all the other Disney's are plain and are very good without the emboss / deboss.

I still prefer no frill plain steels as I think the whole emboss deboss thing is getting a little out of hand

The Raid UK is a great example. Only the title is debossed.

This is not true - The Raid has debossed artwork as well as the title.

Anyway, for me I'm a little annoyed by all the borders. Aladdin looks terrible, whereas Roger Rabbit looks fantastic with some tasty debossing. My main annoyance comes with how flimsy steelbooks become in either process though.

Come'on, now. I wasn't counting the windows of the apartment complex, since it's barely noticeable unless you're closely inspecting the SB, or actually touch it.

I agree with the flimsy statement. The recent Django Unchained SB is a perfect example. The Target & FS versions are fine, but the on the UK and pretty much everyone else got, is horrible.
This is not true - The Raid has debossed artwork as well as the title.

Anyway, for me I'm a little annoyed by all the borders. Aladdin looks terrible, whereas Roger Rabbit looks fantastic with some tasty debossing. My main annoyance comes with how flimsy steelbooks become in either process though.

Funny I accidentally come across this thread days after bringing up this exact same sentiment in another thread.

I do agree it would be nice to have some variety. I'm guessing studios don't have the time or money to invest in designers to throw together high quality artwork. It seems like the embossing is a way to compensate for the often otherwise plain work, to make it actually seem special.

No big deal though, there are plenty of amazingly designed steels out there to keep everyone happy.

I prefer embossed to debossed. Sometimes the debossing isn't aligned properly which can ruin the artwork. I'd like to see more steels given special treatment like wfrr and Forbidden Planet. The old border + tiltle treatment can get a little boring.

I prefer embossed to debossed. Sometimes the debossing isn't aligned properly which can ruin the artwork. I'd like to see more steels given special treatment like wfrr and Forbidden Planet. The old border + tiltle treatment can get a little boring.

I believe you mean that you like debossed over embossed. Embossed is when it has a border plus either title or character embossing as well.