Rate the Movie You Recently Watched

PunkNinja

Bring The Good Times Home
Contributor
Premium Supporter
Jan 3, 2013
USA
Use the Ninjas for rating (copy and paste)

Half Ninja = Terrible

HalfN.png

1 Ninja = Poor
1N.png

2 Ninjas = Ok
1N.png
1N.png

3 Ninjas = Good
1N.png
1N.png
1N.png

4 Ninjas = Very Good
1N.png
1N.png
1N.png
1N.png

5 Ninjas = Excellent
1N.png
1N.png
1N.png
1N.png
1N.png

movieratings.jpg
movierate.jpg

Last edited:
1n-png.127234
1n-png.127234
1n-png.127234
1n-png.127234
1n-png.127234

Wonder Woman 2017

A superb film and after Captain America: The Winter Soldier easily my favourite of the superhero films over the past few years. Great cast, great script, superb action sequences and the best CGI I've seen in a film in years. I actually found it to be a superior war film to Dunkirk regarding conflict even though it was a science fiction film. The lack of know all winks and nods to cinema was a relief and made a refreshingly change and a few lovely twists along the way. Look forward to the next one (is there a next one?) There was certainly a nice Xena feel to the whole film. I did expect Lucy Lawless to make an appearance for some reason!

I saw this only recently...
I remember liking it- and really liking the "twist" at the end- but it also saddens me that this film is spinning off an entire M Night cinematic universe- with "Glass" being the next installment... all of this to me just screams corporate synergy and modern blockbuster world building- and it hurts my delicate sensibilities. Based solely as a film- I thought it was good. Not great, but the best M. Night film in recent memory (not that that's much of an accomplishment).

So I don't know if the success of Split should warrant the rage of me having the knock the film's rating down a peg or two because this now means that we're getting more M Night movies- and that's something I don't think anyone asked for.

The Wind Rises (2013)*:
1n-png.127234
1n-png.127234
1n-png.127234

*I watched the Subtitled Version and I have the feeling that this is a rare case where the Dubbed version might be better.

This is weird. I'm not the biggest fan of Ghibli films- with Princess Mononoke, Spirited Away, and Nausicaa being the exceptions.
I thought The Wind Rises was a well crafted film that grounds a lot of the eccentricities that Hayao Miyazaki adds to his films- and restricted his imagination to a lot of the surreal, dream-like elements.
I think that this film received the recognition that it did BECAUSE Hayao was the director- however, I think that The Wind Rises' success happened IN SPITE of Hayao's directing.

I don't feel like this film should've been handled by Hayao- and my one-sentence critique of this film is that it feel that it is "A film made by a childish Director- wanting to act mature".
While the subject matter and themes of the film seem to be wavering towards a more serious tone- it's Miyazaki's conflicting decisions and tendencies to each of these sequences that seem to be obtrusive to the viewing experience.

I saw this only recently...
I remember liking it- and really liking the "twist" at the end- but it also saddens me that this film is spinning off an entire M Night cinematic universe- with "Glass" being the next installment... all of this to me just screams corporate synergy and modern blockbuster world building- and it hurts my delicate sensibilities. Based solely as a film- I thought it was good. Not great, but the best M. Night film in recent memory (not that that's much of an accomplishment).

So I don't know if the success of Split should warrant the rage of me having the knock the film's rating down a peg or two because this now means that we're getting more M Night movies- and that's something I don't think anyone asked for.
Fair enough bud, but I pretty much disagree with everything you just said. :p

I love the majority of his work and Unbreakable is without a doubt my favourite (in fact, it's possibly my favourite "superhero" movie), so I'm very excited to see more of that world. :D

• Thanks
Reactions: FN-2187
Thank You For Your Service (2017)

TYFYS.jpg

000 Ninja.png 000 Ninja.png 000 Ninja.png /5

THOR: Ragnarok (2017)

Thor.jpg

000 Ninja.png 000 Ninja.png /5

Very disappointed in this such Anticipated Movie, My Favorite Marvel Character. This did not feel like a ''Thor Movie'' at All.
You would expect ''The Mood'' of the sequel to infuse the third movie, but it was just like a random movie...and to remove Jane from the Storyline was just a bad decision.

Happy for those who enjoyed it, but this comedy was not for me.

Thank You For Your Service (2017)

View attachment 354706

View attachment 354707 View attachment 354707 View attachment 354707 /5

THOR: Ragnarok (2017)

View attachment 354708

View attachment 354707 View attachment 354707 /5

Very disappointed in this such Anticipated Movie, My Favorite Marvel Character. This did not feel like a ''Thor Movie'' at All.
You would expect ''The Mood'' of the sequel to infuse the third movie, but it was just like a random movie...and to remove Jane from the Storyline was just a bad decision.

Happy for those who enjoyed it, but this comedy was not for me.

I don't think Natalie Portman wanted to be a part of it. So not really something they could do anything about. I agree though, most overhyped film of recent memory for me.

• Thanks
Reactions: Actarus
Wind River (2017):
1n-png.127234
1n-png.127234
1n-png.127234
1n-png.127234

I cannot say enough positive things about this film. It's the type of film that I feel isn't made any more- and harkens back to films like "Seven"- where films didn't have to be funny to appeal to people, and where a films success isn't based on it's world building or potential for a cinematic universe. Wind River is just a solid film. It has it's issues- sure- the proverbial pieces of the puzzle aren't necessarily subtle and the revelations aren't discoverable- as they are more so just revealed to the audience at the Director's leisure. This film also feels like it took a long look at Sicario and decided "I can do that!" - however, this film is an immensely enjoyable (if not morbid) film that I would highly recommend.

The Wall (2017):
1n-png.127234
halfn-png.127233

This was a bit of a let down- I'm normally a sucker for single-location films... it's interesting to me what films can do to keep a story fresh and engaging when the fantastical elements are removed from the equation.
I love films like Buried, Grand Piano, and... well- I guess that's it- but it was disheartening to see this film, directed by Doug Liman, feel so... dull. There's nothing truly engaging, compelling, or smart about this film or the way it's told. I frequently found myself bored because the film didn't present itself with physical or psychological challenges that would otherwise make me excited.

The Lobster (2016):
1n-png.127234
1n-png.127234
halfn-png.127233

Okay...bit of a doosey here- and it took me a bit to process my feelings... overall- it's... mixed. On one hand, this is an immensely entertaining idea- and it presents a lot of interesting notions with regards to the level of human interaction we have, the types of decisions that we make in order to conform to societal expectations, and the people we mold ourselves in to in order to be what we expect would make us happy. That being said- by the time the third act starts- the novelty has worn off- and the ideals of the film have been so thoroughly hammered in to your brain that you might feel a bit concussed. This is the kind of storytelling that feels like the message very clearly takes priority over the actual presented storytelling- and it's a shame that this film took such a sharp dive so close to the finish line.