Rate the Movie You Recently Watched

PunkNinja

Bring The Good Times Home
Contributor
Premium Supporter
Jan 3, 2013
USA
Use the Ninjas for rating (copy and paste)

Half Ninja = Terrible

HalfN.png

1 Ninja = Poor
1N.png

2 Ninjas = Ok
1N.png
1N.png

3 Ninjas = Good
1N.png
1N.png
1N.png

4 Ninjas = Very Good
1N.png
1N.png
1N.png
1N.png

5 Ninjas = Excellent
1N.png
1N.png
1N.png
1N.png
1N.png

movieratings.jpg
movierate.jpg

Last edited:
Jason and the Argonauts 1963
1n-png.127234
1n-png.127234
1n-png.127234
1n-png.127234
1n-png.127234

Simply the pinnacle of Ray Harryhausen's career. A flawless display of action, adventure and special effects. You could not make the film any better today. If's it's amazing even now, what must it have been like for a 1963 audience?. Who needs CGI?
I've only ever seen bits of this (when I was a lot younger) and always thought it looked pretty cool. Hoping to pick up HMV's exclusive Premium Collection edition at some point and finally give it a watch!

• Thanks
Reactions: tridon
I've only ever seen bits of this (when I was a lot younger) and always thought it looked pretty cool. Hoping to pick up HMV's exclusive Premium Collection edition at some point and finally give it a watch!

I watched the HMV blu-ray and it's amazing. You really could not do the film any better today. It's Ray's masterpiece.

• Thanks
Reactions: tridon and Noodles
HELL DRIVERS 1957
1n-png.127234
1n-png.127234
1n-png.127234
1n-png.127234
1n-png.127234

This new Network release is awesome. Not going to spoil the film for anyone but it stars William Hartnell, Sean Connery, Stanley Baker, Patrick McGoohan, Herbert Lom, Peggy Cummings, Sid James, Gordon Jackson. its pretty much the cream de la cream of film stars of the time. Even NCIS regular David McCallum is in it. Talk about a different era!

• Thanks
Strange Days (1995)
1n-png.127234
1n-png.127234
1n-png.127234
1n-png.127234
halfn-png.127233

I can't believe this movie nearly derailed Kathryn Bigelow's career because it did so poorly. I still believe if this was released a couple of years later it would have been a big hit. A stylish, somewhat cyberpunk, noir thriller written by James Cameron & directed by Bigelow. Brilliant movie!

• Thanks
Reactions: C2V3N and tridon
Life (2017, Daniel Espinosa)
IMG_2794.jpg

1n-png.127234
1n-png.127234
1n-png.127234

Just a moment ago saw Life. Sort of reminiscent of movies like Alien and Gravity. Sure it was entertaining scifi thriller ride with a nice cast and intense atmosphere, but also very predictable and followed the familiar formula. Some of the characters do really stupid things, and not everything makes sense, but overall Life is not a bad film. It's well-made film, looks and sounds great, it's exciting space horror with nasty looking alien and good way to spend 103 minutes with some popcorn.

Last edited:
  • Thanks
Black Sunday (1960, Mario Bava)
IMG_2799.jpeg

Finally saw this horror classic which so many have praised, but I honestly had to struggle to see it. The acting, makeup, dialogue, story were bad IMO, but it was atmospheric film with good cinematography. Overall I feel Black Sunday is one overrated horror film.

1n-png.127234
1n-png.127234

Surprised at the 4 rating. I would give it the full 5. Simply the best Sci-fi/horror film ever made.
Well, 4 is a star up from the last time I watched it, which was the first time ever and only a year ago... so years of high expectations left me feeling a little underwhelmed at the time. I was tempted to give it the full 5 tonight, but unfortunately it still doesn't compare to the films I do consider 5 star worthy... this is coming from someone who generally isn't a big fan of horror though, so 4 is pretty damn good coming from me! ;)

• Thanks
I' m not normally a big fan of horror. Most of them don't do anything for me. The thing is the exception. it's the shear intelligence of the story that gets me and it's one of the rare times you really have to think about what you are watching and a lot of questions get thrown up. Burt Lancaster's son did a superb screenplay..............

I' m not normally a big fan of horror. Most of them don't do anything for me. The thing is the exception. it's the shear intelligence of the story that gets me and it's one of the rare times you really have to think about what you are watching and a lot of questions get thrown up. Burt Lancaster's son did a superb screenplay..............

The Thing is such a masterpiece and my personal favorite horror movie of all-time. I have loved it from very early on, but back then it didn't have the fandom it now has. It's great to see it's getting the recognition it deserves. It's one of the those rare movies where just everything works and I can watch it over and over again. Last year it was thrilling to hear The Thing music live by John Carpenter

There is fantastic 2 disc Collector's Edition release which I can highly recommend. Great picture and sound with tons of extras.

IMG_2802.jpg

Easily one of the best movies ever!
1n-png.127234
1n-png.127234
1n-png.127234
1n-png.127234
1n-png.127234

Last edited:
  • Thanks
Have that collectors edition but looking forward to seeing what Arrow do. When I was in art college all those decades ago we did a charity marathon thought the night of classic horror films and we got a copy of the Thing to show. That was way back in 1984...... Great turn up, great night.

• Thanks
Phantasm: Remastered (1979)
1n-png.127234
1n-png.127234
1n-png.127234
1n-png.127234
1n-png.127234

How I did I go my entire life without watching Phantasm until now? What a brilliant film! This could very easily be my favourite horror film from the '70s after John Carpenter's Halloween. The music, cinematography, story... it amazes me that this was all created by a 23/24-year-old Don Coscarelli (even more amazing that his father produced it for him). I've always meant to go back and watch the Phantasm films after loving Bubba Ho-Tep. I'm glad I finally did. :thumbs:

On a sidenote, for those who have seen the Phantasm films, how's the sequels? I heard the second is really good, but what's the other three like?

Alrighty, so I finally started watching the sequels. All I ever hear is people raving over the second film (some even saying it's better than the first)... but after seeing the second and the third, they don't touch the first film by a mile. In fact, I had the Well Go USA box set on pre-order and I just cancelled my order. As of now, the first film is the only one definitely worthy of being in my collection.

PHANTASM II (1988)
1n-png.127234
1n-png.127234
halfn-png.127233

While the first film had some campy fun to it, there was more of a serious undertone to it. This film jacks the campy, silliness to overdrive -- clearly influenced by the same move that Sam Raimi made with his Evil Dead sequel a year prior. While that worked for Evil Dead, it didn't work here. So much of what I loved about Phantasm was replaced with massive weaponry, a road trip dripping of sexual innuendo, and Ash-like quips. Reggie was a good supporting character in the first film, but I don't think he works so well as the lead. Add on the fact that A. Michael Baldwin was left out and James LeGros was cast as Mike instead (and he's really, really awful)... yeah, just wasn't feeling it. The saving grace here is Angus Scrimm's return as The Tall Man. Damn, what an awesome, menacing villain. Overall, it could've been a decent movie if it wasn't a follow-up to Phantasm, but alas, such is not the case.

PHANTASM III: LORD OF THE DEAD (1994)
1n-png.127234
1n-png.127234
1n-png.127234
halfn-png.127233

Much better than the second film. I honestly don't understand the love for the second. Here, A. Michael Baldwin returns as Mike and while he's not a good actor, he's still much better in the role. Angus Scrimm is as great as ever as The Tall Man and Reggie Bannister's Reggie is turned down to a more tolerable level. This film is still all about the road tripping across towns you've never heard of, but it brings back a lot of what made the first film so special (helps the Bill Thornbury also returned as Jody). Great cinematography in this one, too (some truly iconic shots of The Tall Man)! Honestly, I think that since the second film was the only studio film (Universal distributed it), writer/director Don Coscarelli had to make a lot of changes/sacrifices. Now that they're out of the picture, Phantasm III brings back a lot of what the first film originally offered.

• Thanks
Reactions: Noodles
The Thing is such a masterpiece and my personal favorite horror movie of all-time. I have loved it from very early on, but back then it didn't have the fandom it now has. It's great to see it's getting the recognition it deserves. It's one of the those rare movies where just everything works and I can watch it over and over again. Last year it was thrilling to hear The Thing music live by John Carpenter

There is fantastic 2 disc Collector's Edition release which I can highly recommend. Great picture and sound with tons of extras.

IMG_2802.jpg

Easily one of the best movies ever!
1n-png.127234
1n-png.127234
1n-png.127234
1n-png.127234
1n-png.127234

I'd kill to see John Carpenter live! That'd be such an amazing experience!!

• Thanks
Reactions: Hamill82
I'd kill to see John Carpenter live! That'd be such an amazing experience!!

Yes, it was such a great pleasure to see John Carpenter, his son and hear them play all these theme's from his movies. When I heard he's coming here, I had to buy tickets instantly being a huge fan. Also I wouldn't probably ever have another chance to see him. They played music from most of the movies and tracks from Lost Themes. Some movies weren't included like Village Of The Damned which I would had loved to hear also. It was nice small club and we were able go get very close to him. Good memories.

I have to see those Phantasm films, since I haven't seen any of them yet. It's going to be next on my list.

• Thanks