Rate the Movie You Recently Watched

PunkNinja

Bring The Good Times Home
Contributor
Premium Supporter
Jan 3, 2013
USA
Use the Ninjas for rating (copy and paste)

Half Ninja = Terrible

HalfN.png

1 Ninja = Poor
1N.png

2 Ninjas = Ok
1N.png
1N.png

3 Ninjas = Good
1N.png
1N.png
1N.png

4 Ninjas = Very Good
1N.png
1N.png
1N.png
1N.png

5 Ninjas = Excellent
1N.png
1N.png
1N.png
1N.png
1N.png

movieratings.jpg
movierate.jpg

Last edited:
IMG_3201.JPG
IMG_3209.JPG
IMG_3209.JPG
IMG_3209.JPG
IMG_3209.JPG
IMG_3209.JPG

IMG_3211.JPG
IMG_3209.JPG
IMG_3209.JPG
IMG_3209.JPG

Having just revisited both versions on the screen - I can say, without reservation, that the redux version damn near destroys the film.
As many have said before me, the French Plantation sequence remains (largely) pointless and brings the film to a dead stop for nearly 25 minutes. It seems ironic given that in the interveneing years, most involved in the film have said that it really it isn't a film about Viet Nam (it is really the Conrad Book) - so the half hearted additional politicking (in the Plantation sequence) seems cruelly shoehorned in -to absolutely no benefit to the journey of Willard and his crew. (The only possible reason for its inclusion (that I can fathom) is FFC wanting to get to the Opium smoking in the bedroom scene - as maybe another catalyst for Willard's mindset).
The additional (and clearly rehearsal B Roll footage) of Brando's Kurtz blathering on for an additional 20 minutes in the final reel completely obliterates any "mythic" quality Kurtz had attained in our minds while we read the dossiers along with Willard heading upriver. He is reduced to just a fat, babbling man of no consequence, or mystery at all.
He sits and reads TIME magazine to Willard for 5 minutes. WHAAAAAT?!!!
(When the original Theatrical cut was released - people often compained of the brevity of Brando's role. "We see him for only 5 minutes after the huge buildup." For me, that works. It holds the mystery and Mystic quality. We don't grow to "know him". He is supposed to be an enigma. Not a guy who reads you a passage from Time magazine, and then says "I'll see you around camp...").
The only thing the redux cut gave us, was a new Dye Transfer negative (which is gorgeous).
I will admit I am fine with the addition of the scene of the men and the Playboy bunny rendezvous in the Helicopters in exchange for diesel fuel. That seemed to fit as a bookend or resolution to the earlier scene of the Bunny USO show.
I still see the original cut as the one. Flawed though it is, it is still the masterpiece.
It has a flow that is completely blown by the (unneeded) additions.
Coppola needs to stop tinkering (à la George Lucas) with his films. (He also recut and rearranged The Outsiders, and One From The Heart, among others).
With Apocalypse Now, he should have heeded his own words: "Never get off the boat."

Last edited:
  • Thanks
Reactions: Hamill82 and tridon
Saw 'GOODFELLAS ' UHD yesterday. Watched this movie numerous times but this UHD transfer (which is not the best but definitely an upgrade on the BD) is worth buying the UHD.

OUjXD4F.png
OUjXD4F.png
OUjXD4F.png
OUjXD4F.png
OUjXD4F.png

View attachment 302621 View attachment 302626 View attachment 302626 View attachment 302626 View attachment 302626 View attachment 302626 ____________________

View attachment 302627 View attachment 302626 View attachment 302626 View attachment 302626

Having just revisited both versions on the screen - I can say, without reservation, that the redux version damn near destroys the film.
As many have said before me, the French Plantation sequence remains (largely) pointless and brings the film to a dead stop for nearly 25 minutes. It seems ironic given that in the interveneing years, most involved in the film have said that it really it isn't a film about Viet Nam (it is really the Conrad Book) - so the half hearted additional politicking seems cruelly shoehorned in -to absolutely no benefit to the journey of Willard and his crew. (The only possible reason for its inclusion (that I can fathom) is FFC wanting to get to the Opium smoking in the bedroom scene - as maybe another catalyst for Willard's mindset).
The additional (and clearly rehearsal B Roll footage) of Brando's Kurtz blathering on for an additional 20 minutes in the final reel completely obliterates any "mythic" quality Kurtz had attained in our minds while we read the dossiers along with Willard heading upriver. He is reduced to just a fat, babbling man of no consequence, or mystery at all.
He sits and reads TIME magazine to Willard for 5 minutes. WHAAAAAT?!!!
(When the original Theatrical cut was released - people often compained of the brevity of Brando's role. "We see him for only 5 minutes after the huge buildup." For me, that works. It holds the mystery and Mystic quality. We don't grow to "know him". He is supposed to be an enigma. Not a guy who reads you a passage from Time magazine, and then says "I'll see you around camp...").
The only thing the redux cut gave us, was a new Dye Transfer negative (which is gorgeous).
I will admit I am fine with the addition of the scene of the men and the Playboy bunny rendezvous in the Helicopters in exchange for diesel fuel. That seemed to fit as a bookend or resolution to the earlier scene of the Bunny USO show.
I still see the original cut as the one. Flawed though it is, it is still the masterpiece.
It has a flow that is completely blown by the (unneeded) additions.
Coppola needs to stop tinkering (à la George Lucas) with his films. (He also recut and rearranged The Outsiders, and One From The Heart, among others).
With Apocalypse Now, he should have heeded his own words: "Never get off the boat."

I've never liked the film and it's Brando's performance that kills the film dead for me. Lazy dire acting........
Afraid I'm with @Lollard2002 on this one. Think I might be due a rewatch though!

Passengers (2016) (1/5)
What a load of drivel. Major plotholes and boring, underwhelmed performances.
1n-png.127234

La La Land (2016) (2.5/5)
Overhyped. Enjoyed the first 20 mins or so, then all gradually downhill from there
1n-png.127234
1n-png.127234
halfn-png.127233

Hell or High Water (2016) (4/5)
Thoroughly enjoyed it. Great performances and a decent, solid story. Jeff Bridges is my hero.
1n-png.127234
1n-png.127234
1n-png.127234
1n-png.127234

Rogue One (2016) (5/5)
Had a chance to catch this at the cinema recently as one of the last showings, I should have watched it earlier! Excellent movie, better than Ep7 IMO and easily the best Star Wars since the original trilogy. Cast is great and loved the way it ended. Iffy CGI on Governor Tarkin, but happy with the rest of it.
1n-png.127234
1n-png.127234
1n-png.127234
1n-png.127234
1n-png.127234

• Thanks
Reactions: tridon
The Devil's Candy (2017)
1n-png.127234
1n-png.127234
1n-png.127234

This one screened at Horrorthon here in Ireland last year & got pretty good reviews, but it was just missing something for me. The performances were good (I've a soft spot for Ethan Embry ever since Empire Records), but there was just something that didn't click with me.

From a House on Willow Street (2017)
1n-png.127234
1n-png.127234

Another Horrorthon movie, the poster for this is better than the movie itself. A run of the mill low budget horror movie. Performances are average, story is average. I was actually quite bored by this one.

Last edited:
  • Thanks
Reactions: tridon
I finally watched Doctor Strange and I'm completely blown away.

The Marvel Universe is, to me, one of the best things to ever happen to cinema. It's always been hard for me to pick a overall favorite in the series as there are so many stellar offerings. But really, Doctor Strange has gotten me to the point of considering this is possibly the greatest masterpiece thus far.

Not surprisingly I highly recommend the viewing of this most excellent film to the max.

1n-png.127234
1n-png.127234
1n-png.127234
1n-png.127234
1n-png.127234

Reactions: psychoscot
Inferno (2016)

1n-png.127234
1n-png.127234

Being the third of the Dan Brown based films I had high hopes, especially since I loved The Da Vinci Code and Angels & Demons. Unfortunately, Inferno did not seem to thrill me as the previous two films had.

Demons (1985, Lamberto Bava)
IMG_2805.jpeg

I love this film a lot, one of my favorites. Demons is a great 80's horror roller coaster ride with a great soundtrack. Hell of a fun movie.

1n-png.127234
1n-png.127234
1n-png.127234
1n-png.127234
1n-png.127234

Demons 2 (1986, Lamberto Bava)
IMG_2811.jpg

I honestly think the second one is bad film and not comparable with the first Demons. While the first one delivers great atmosphere, awesome soundtrack by Claudio Simonetti, likeable characters and overall thrilling roller coaster, this one doesn't have that much to offer. It's a bit boring, lacks the excitement of the first film and has characters you could care less. There is also one truly annoying creature in Demons 2 which just drives me crazy. There are some fun and foolish scenes, laughable dialogue and it's not all terrible, but overall I don't feel Demons 2 is in the same league with the first one, not even close.

1n-png.127234
1n-png.127234

Memories of Murder
2003 - Dir. Joon-Ho Bong

Being a huge film noir fan I love a good crime/mystery flick but I cannot say I'm too familiar with Korean cinema. A few years ago a friend gave me this movie to watch, it definitely impressed me at the time and stuck in my mind. Finally got around to rewatching it last night and it blew me away!

Based on real events, the film looks beautiful, is paced superbly, and provides a real mystery. The two main characters are polar opposites, providing the classic good cop, bad cop duo but not in a cliche way. An intense thriller sprinkled with doses of comedy and horror. A definite 5, this film ranks among the best of Asian cinema.

1n-png.127234
1n-png.127234
1n-png.127234
1n-png.127234
1n-png.127234

• Thanks
Reactions: davhyl and vexred