Rate the Movie You Recently Watched

PunkNinja

Bring The Good Times Home
Contributor
Premium Supporter
Jan 3, 2013
USA
Use the Ninjas for rating (copy and paste)

Half Ninja = Terrible

HalfN.png

1 Ninja = Poor
1N.png

2 Ninjas = Ok
1N.png
1N.png

3 Ninjas = Good
1N.png
1N.png
1N.png

4 Ninjas = Very Good
1N.png
1N.png
1N.png
1N.png

5 Ninjas = Excellent
1N.png
1N.png
1N.png
1N.png
1N.png

movieratings.jpg
movierate.jpg

Last edited:
THE BAD BATCH (2017)
1n-png.127234
1n-png.127234
1n-png.127234
1n-png.127234
halfn-png.127233

The Bad Batch was such a fun, fearless breath of fresh air. I've seen some pretty negative reviews online and they honestly boggle my mind. The film is completely unchained and accompanied by a booming, bass-driven soundtrack. The cast was pleasantly surprising with the ensemble bringing their strange, horrifying characters to life with ease. Suki Waterhouse and Jason Momoa were excellent in their roles and Jim Carrey and Keanu Reeves were also great additions. If this is an Ana Lily Amirpour film, then I want more! I'll be watching 'A Girl Walks Home Alone at Night' as soon as possible.

• Thanks
Reactions: AlienKing
THE BAD BATCH (2017)
1n-png.127234
1n-png.127234
1n-png.127234
1n-png.127234
halfn-png.127233

The Bad Batch was such a fun, fearless breath of fresh air. I've seen some pretty negative reviews online and they honestly boggle my mind. The film is completely unchained and accompanied by a booming, bass-driven soundtrack. The cast was pleasantly surprising with the ensemble bringing their strange, horrifying characters to life with ease. Suki Waterhouse and Jason Momoa were excellent in their roles and Jim Carrey and Keanu Reeves were also great additions. If this is an Ana Lily Amirpour film, then I want more! I'll be watching 'A Girl Walks Home Alone at Night' as soon as possible.
You havent seen A Girl Walks Home Alone at Night yet? :OMG: Duuuuudee!

• Thanks
Reactions: tridon
Watched a ton of movies on the plane while traveling...

Goon 2: Last of the Enforcers (2017)
- Just as good as the first. I know its not out in theaters everywhere yet... but I highly recommend it if you are a hockey fan or a fan of the first movie.
full-png.321857
full-png.321857
full-png.321857
full-png.321857
half-png.316481

The Founder (2016)
- Really good. Keaton is fantastic in this.
full-png.321857
full-png.321857
full-png.321857
full-png.321857
empty-png.321856

Gold (2016)
- Didn't care for it. The way it was edited / how the story was told bothered me the entire film.
full-png.321857
full-png.321857
empty-png.321856
empty-png.321856
empty-png.321856

Gifted (2017)
- Loved it. So glad Webb is back doing these kinds of films.
full-png.321857
full-png.321857
full-png.321857
full-png.321857
full-png.321857

Colossal (2017) -
Huge disappointment for me. I know what it was trying to do... and how it was going for something different. But it just didn't work for me.
full-png.321857
full-png.321857
half-png.316481
empty-png.321856
empty-png.321856

Sleepless (2017)
- Not horrible, but very forgettable. Trying so hard to be the next Taken or John Wick but just ends up being a bit bland.
full-png.321857
full-png.321857
full-png.321857
empty-png.321856
empty-png.321856

The Boss Baby (2017)
- Pixar this is not.
full-png.321857
full-png.321857
empty-png.321856
empty-png.321856
empty-png.321856

The Zookeeper's Wife (2017)
- Amazing story. Not something I feel the need to watch again. But it has some great performances.
full-png.321857
full-png.321857
full-png.321857
full-png.321857
empty-png.321856

War for the Planet of the Apes:
1n-png.127234
1n-png.127234
1n-png.127234

This franchise has Star Wars'd itself. The second installation to the franchise was so good- that it set the bar too high for what ever the follow up film would be.
Whereas "Dawn of the Planet of the Apes" featured 3-dimensional characters whose existence and circumstances drove the conflict forward in a uniquely "human" way- "War for the Planet of the Apes" focuses less on the intimacy of the tale, and more so on the larger picture. While there are some excellent performances from Andy Serkis- this film ditches the 'Good on both sides' aspect of the last two films in favor of a simplified good vs. evil approach. The movie also suffers from "The Marvel Effect", wherein the movie persists that it had one comic relief character- someone who falls down and makes the audience cackle with laughter... which is especially disheartening because I consistently praise "Dawn of the Planet of the Apes" for being a film that lets drama be dramatic without forcing in an excessive amount of quips.

In retrospect- it seems even more lackluster considering that the climax of the film is less compelling and intense than the climax of the second film. The film is a perfectly well done prison break drama ( albeit one with one too many Jesus analogies for my taste); however it suffers from the issue of just being worse than the film that preceded it.

• Thanks
Austin Powers: International Man of Mystery (1997)
full.png
full.png
full.png
full.png
empty.png

I can admit these films aren't great, but I have very fond (and funny) memories of all of them, which always helps. :D

• Thanks
Reactions: vexred
IMG_8936.JPG IMG_8941.GIF IMG_8941.GIF IMG_8944.GIF
Their hearts (and love of 80's films) may be in the right place - But you can't just make a quilt out of lifted scenes from other movies and call it a new piece of work. This is one of those where you literally go "Hey, the hallway scene from Hellraiser 2." "Hey, That scene from Prince of Darkness." "Hey, that scene from Precinct 13"....etc. Even music cues are lifted. I counted Jaws, Aliens, and a few others.
Some scenes are just howlers, as they shoehorn in something they like from other movies where it makes zero sense.
(Apparently when the power goes off in a hospital, it gets flooded with red lights making it look suspiciously like the infirmary scene in ALIENS....but the ALIENS knockoff music cue is there to remind you of that!):hilarious:
Being INFLUENCED by great work is fantastic - it inspires you to make something original in the same sandbox. What is not OK - watching your favorite films and just taking scenes and stitching them together like some hipster mix tape. These are not homages. These are literal scenes from other movies.
An example of being influenced without stealing is IT FOLLOWS.
(But I don't wanna give these guys any ideas of what to steal next).
There is some good cinematography - and a hint that these guys might possibly do something good in the future. But - this is a swing and a miss. Story, characterization and logic are not their strong suit.
A few cool shots aren't gonna cover over a lack of a grounded story. (You don't for a second believe these people exist in real life).
(Oh, and the monster(s) are really blah).
I'll say this- It really makes you wanna rewatch the movies they lifted.

THE KINGSMAN (The Secret Service)
img_3621-png.322280
img_3621-png.322280
img_3621-png.322280
img_3621-png.322280
img_3621-png.322280

This was sort of a blind buy as I'd heard nothing of it other than the chatter here that is was a most worthy viewing experience.

Honestly, I was not prepared to be entertained like that. Very well written story, characters and development, action sequences simply superb, and a very macbre-esque way of things when it comes to death. Wow. Just.....WOW!!!!!!

Really dudes....a MUST SEE.

Now excuse me as I check out the hat collection available at the Lock & Co.

• Thanks
Reactions: FN-2187
THE KINGSMAN (The Secret Service)
img_3621-png.322280
img_3621-png.322280
img_3621-png.322280
img_3621-png.322280
img_3621-png.322280

This was sort of a blind buy as I'd heard nothing of it other than the chatter here that is was a most worthy viewing experience.

Honestly, I was not prepared to be entertained like that. Very well written story, characters and development, action sequences simply superb, and a very macbre-esque way of things when it comes to death. Wow. Just.....WOW!!!!!!

Really dudes....a MUST SEE.

Now excuse me as I check out the hat collection available at the Lock & Co.
I really was let down by KINGSMAN.
It was SPY KIDS with Kevin Smith humor.
It had promsing bits - and then always went for the Kevin Smith-stye teenage dick humor.
Very dissapointed with that movie.
And the church scene should be shown in film schools as one of the thing you cannot do with HD video.
The speed ramping gave away the video and looked like a Soap Opera. (Like shiny objects also give away video vs. film)
The church scene look like a violent episode of DAYS OF OUR LIVES on Fast Forward.
And this was one of the movies I most looked forward to in 2016. Not like the comic at all.

It had promsing bits - and then always went for the Kevin Smith-stye teenage dick humor.
And the church scene should be shown in film schools as one of the thing you cannot do with HD video.
The speed ramping gave away the video and looked like a Soap Opera. (Like shiny objects also give away video vs. film)
The church scene look like a violent episode of DAYS OF OUR LIVES on Fast Forward.
And this was one of the movies I most looked forward to in 2016. Not like the comic at all.

Different strokes for different folks I guess. I was completely captivated; hooked from the first. Loved, loved, loved the dark humor. I thought the church scene set the situation perfectly, given it was a preview of the ultimate bad dudes bad idea. But like I said....different strokes. There will definitely be a few rewatchings of this at my house. Sorry you didn't enjoy as much as I did.

• Thanks
Reactions: C.C. 95
John Wick 2 - 1N.png 1N.png 1N.png HalfN.png Fun little action packed movie :thumbs: i was not a super fan of the first one and this falls in to the same cast, fun but not great.

The Mummy (2017) - 1N.png 1N.png 1N.png 1N.pngI was pleasantly surprised :) it was filled with easter eggs and great special effects :thumbs: even tom cruise did not totally ruin this movie :p

Lego Batman Movie -1N.png 1N.png 1N.png WHAT´S THE PASSWORD? :LOL::LOL::rofl::LOL: watch the movie and you get it ;):D

• Thanks

The Frame rate is an issue. But that's an issue with most Hollywood Blockbusters- however, Kingsman isn't nearly as big of an offender as Captain America: Civil War was. Civil War had issues not only with the frame-rate, but with it's editing as well. Kingsman at least had to decency to match most of it's quick cuts to the middle of the frame and on an action so that the cut was more or less hidden... the same was done with Mad Max: Fury Road.

As for it's accuracy to the comics- I'm very glad that they didn't follow the comics because that form of storytelling wouldn't have translated well to film, in my opinion. Likewise, most- if not everything Mark Millar writes cannot be translated to film because of the unorthodox way he structures his narratives. It's a bit disappointing in certain sense- like how we'll never get Wesley Gibson's "Killer" suit- however, it's something that I think is probably for the best.

• Thanks
Reactions: C.C. 95