Region Free Blu-ray Players (World Wide List)

Wreck

Is Here To Serve
Staff Member
Jan 26, 2009
USA
Post models/tips here for multi-region players.

Models for Purchase in the US

OPPO BDP-103-Link -requires kit to make region free.

SONY BDP-S1100 Link

Models for Purchase in the UK

Last edited by a moderator:
i was looking at this for importing region a movies

but now its not really worth it, the currency exchange rate has put importing too expensive :mad:

Kogan blu-ray player full hd 1080p

http://www.kogan.com.au/shop/kogan-blu-ray-player-full-hd-1080p/
Blu-Ray-Front3_jpg_400x300_q90.jpg

Kogan’s Blu-ray disc player further defines Full HD Entertainment and proves that Kogan is at the forefront of affordable high technology for all Australians!

The Kogan Blu-ray player provides Full High Definition Playback with True 1080p capability. The result is an unrivalled viewing experience in exceptional 1080p resolution. This is Blu-ray, this is high definition! View scenes as they were meant to be seen and enjoy true picture quality.

This groundbreaking model is the ideal solution for anyone who enjoys Blu-ray, DVDs or CDs. The Kogan Blu-ray disc player accommodates all of these formats in one unit, and offers state of the art viewing with CD and DVD playback compatibility. What's more, it can upscale standard DVDs to 1080p resolution for Full HD video playback and crystal-clear picture even from older media. The Kogan Blu-ray player also plays many additional movie formats such as wmv, mpg & avi.

The Kogan Blu-ray player delivers Dolby Digital and Dolby Digital Plus audio playback allowing you to transform your home into a true cinematic experience. Step into the future with a truly immersive viewing experience for movies, gaming, sports and more. With 5.1 channel surround, Dolby TrueHD and dts-HD you can now have remarkable sound that has both power and clarity.

Designed with fans of multimedia technology in mind, the Kogan Blu-ray player easily connects to your TV and other digital peripherals through an HDMI port for expanded colour delivery and easy home theatre control.

The Kogan Blu-ray disc player provides an unrivalled home theatre experience at Australia’s best prices!

Unrivalled Entertainment
Unlike standard analogue signals and DVD content, the Kogan Blu-ray disc player provides a 1920 x 1080 picture resolution source. Combined with uncompressed audio and Dolby TrueHD Surround Sound, the Kogan Blu-ray disc player provides a home theatre experience that is quite simply unrivalled.

Get the most out of your Current DVD Collection
Kogan Blu-ray players embrace DVD. Enjoy all your old DVD favourites, with images sharper and more detailed than ever before! Thanks to an onboard algorithm, Enhanced DVD Playback raises the quality of your existing DVD collection to HD quality with 1080p resolution.

Dolby Digital Plus and Dolby TrueHD
The Kogan Blu-ray player supports the new Dolby Digital Plus audio format - the next generation in sound. It also supports uncompressed PCM audio and legacy dts 5.1 Dolby Digital. Dolby® TrueHD is Dolby’s next-generation lossless technology developed for high-definition disc-based media. Dolby TrueHD delivers lossless studio master quality audio designed specifically for high definition entertainment like Blu-ray Disc™. An incredible sound stage, dynamic range and a stellar Home Theater experience await you with Dolby TrueHD.
SPECIFICATIONS

Input/Output Sockets:

*1080p HDMI V1.3 output
*Component video output (Y,Pb,Pr)
*Composite video output (RCA)
* Coaxial digital audio output
*Optical digital audio output
Features:

• Full High Definition 1080p resolution
• BD profile 1.1
• 24⁄60 frame visual support for true cinema
• Play DVDs with up-conversion to HD output resolution of 1080P⁄1080i⁄720P
• Playback compatible with Blu-ray (BD-ROM, BD-RE, BD-R) discs.
• Playback compatible with DVD Video and DVD-RW⁄-R (V mode and finalized only) discs.
• Playback compatible with SVCD/VCD/CD/AUDIO-CD.
• Supported movies file type: MPEG1, MPEG2, AVI
• Supported music file types: AC3, MP1, MP2, MP3, AAC
• Supported picture file types: JPEG, BMP, GIF
• Advanced Graphic User Interface
• Audio Decoding: Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby True-HD, and dts-HD
• Audio Outputs: 5.1 Channel and Dolby Downmix Stereo
• Audio Output Max sampling rate:24bit/192KHz
• Firmware Upgradeable
Other Specifications:

Power consumption: 45w
Power Source: ~100-250V
Max Resolution: 1920 x 1080p

Supplied Accessories:
Power cable, Remote control, User manual

Packaging:
Unit Dimension (WxHxL) : 430 x 305 x 60 mm
Box Unit Packing Dimension (WxHxL) : 490 x 120 x 370 mm
Unit Packing Weight (N. W.) : 4.1kg
Unit Packing Weight (G. W.) : 4.4kg
POSTAGE INFORMATION

PICKUP

Kogan products are not available for pickup.

DELIVERY
We offer Australia wide delivery for all products in the Kogan range. All items are usually dispatched within 24 hours of payment.

TO EASILY CALCULATE YOUR DELIVERY, ENTER YOUR POSTCODE AT THE CHECKOUT SCREEN

WARRANTY DETAILS

12 month extendable warranty
Unlimited email support!

Your Kogan product comes with a 12 month Australia wide warranty. For peace of mind, we offer 3 and 5 year extended warranty options.

To purchase an extended warranty simply add the 3 or 5 year option to your shopping cart prior to checkout.

For warranty terms and conditions, please see:
http://www.kogan.com.au/support/

Posting under the wall of info...

That Kogan player is region free...pretty much the first one on the market outside of the Asian market...

I have no idea if they will ship stateside, but, it will allow you to change between Region A, B, & C...

here's a review from CNet...clicky

Region Free Players, any recommendations?

I hear this vision quest is like a mock of the momitsu and at half the price (but no BD-live capabilities) but plays all regions. Hard to find it though.

Any others out there?

There will be no bullet biting here, plus the Vision Quest is like almost identical and half the price. I hear the momitsu is no longer for sale though anyways.

I want to get a new player in 2010. Early 2010.

preferably I'd love one that did it all. Region free plus netflix streaming etc.

Any updates here? I'm ready for a region free player. I don't have a clue where to start, other than ebay. Do the players with hardware upgrades work well and are they worth the money they are asking? I don't want to end up with another player collecting dust!

Any updates here? I'm ready for a region free player. I don't have a clue where to start, other than ebay. Do the players with hardware upgrades work well and are they worth the money they are asking? I don't want to end up with another player collecting dust!

Massgains said he got his player region free, I can't remember where he got from though. He pops around often he might be able to shed some light.

I just read over at Br and Highdefdigest that the new firmware update for the Momitsu-899 has crippled the region free capability. So if you have a current Momitsu owner and don't wish to lose your region free capabilities do not update!

I actually have two region free Blu-ray players. My first and favorite is the OPPO BDP-83, which I bought from Amazon.com, then I bought the region free mod from Blu-ray Chip and installed it by connecting a couple of cables...easy stuff.

My second region free player is the Sherwood 5003, which I picked up for $50.00 when AmericanTV.com made a pricing error. It is a solid bonus view (1.1) Blu-ray player and it is essentially the same as the Momitsu. You use the same remote control codes to change regions.

My OPPO with the hardware upgrade works perfectly. It works just like it did before I installed the mod...and because it is a hardware mod, I can update the firmware with no problems.

I think the region free Blu-ray players are worth the money...as long as you plan on importing a significant amount of Blu-rays/DVDs. If you are comfortable installing the mod yourself, you will definitely save yourself some money. For example, the region free OPPO BDP-83 is being sold for $699.00 on ebay. I paid $499.99 for my player, plus $79.00 for the mod, for a grand total of $578.99. So the ebay seller is basically charging $120.00 for the installation. So if you installed it yourself, then you'd get to keep that extra $120.00 and import some Blu-rays with it.

The only time I would pay that much for someone to install a mod for me is if there is soldering involved...

Anyways, if you have anymore questions just give me a holler.

I actually have two region free Blu-ray players. My first and favorite is the OPPO BDP-83, which I bought from Amazon.com, then I bought the region free mod from Blu-ray Chip and installed it by connecting a couple of cables...easy stuff.

My second region free player is the Sherwood 5003, which I picked up for $50.00 when AmericanTV.com made a pricing error. It is a solid bonus view (1.1) Blu-ray player and it is essentially the same as the Momitsu. You use the same remote control codes to change regions.

My OPPO with the hardware upgrade works perfectly. It works just like it did before I installed the mod...and because it is a hardware mod, I can update the firmware with no problems.

I think the region free Blu-ray players are worth the money...as long as you plan on importing a significant amount of Blu-rays/DVDs. If you are comfortable installing the mod yourself, you will definitely save yourself some money. For example, the region free OPPO BDP-83 is being sold for $699.00 on ebay. I paid $499.99 for my player, plus $79.00 for the mod, for a grand total of $578.99. So the ebay seller is basically charging $120.00 for the installation. So if you installed it yourself, then you'd get to keep that extra $120.00 and import some Blu-rays with it.

The only time I would pay that much for someone to install a mod for me is if there is soldering involved...

Anyways, if you have anymore questions just give me a holler.

Thanks a lot, thats a huge help. That is exactly the unit that interested me the most. Am I correct in assuming the hardware upgrade is external? Being in Canada, I'm not sure I would have access to the upgrade, but I'll certainly look into it. The seller on ebay is "multi-system". Do you know their reputation. They show quite a good buyer feedback. Again, thanks so much!

Thanks a lot, thats a huge help. That is exactly the unit that interested me the most. Am I correct in assuming the hardware upgrade is external? Being in Canada, I'm not sure I would have access to the upgrade, but I'll certainly look into it. The seller on ebay is "multi-system". Do you know their reputation. They show quite a good buyer feedback. Again, thanks so much!

The hardware upgrade is internal...so you have to take off the cover of the Blu-ray player and connect a couple of cables...if that answers your question. Here is the installation guide PDF: Mod Installation

Bluraychip.dk ships worldwide for free, so I think you'll easily be able to obtain the region free mod.

"multi-system" seems like a reliable ebay seller...but I have never done business with them before. I don't know of anyone who has used that company before. Their feedback is very good and they are very popular on ebay though.
By the way, I found their home website and the OPPO is on sale for $649.00.
Region Free OPPO Link

I actually know of another very good company that is selling the Region Free OPPO BDP-83 for $599.00. JVB Digital

Good luck, I'm glad I could help you out.:D

The hardware upgrade is internal...so you have to take off the cover of the Blu-ray player and connect a couple of cables...if that answers your question. Here is the installation guide PDF: Mod Installation

Bluraychip.dk ships worldwide for free, so I think you'll easily be able to obtain the region free mod.

"multi-system" seems like a reliable ebay seller...but I have never done business with them before. I don't know of anyone who has used that company before. Their feedback is very good and they are very popular on ebay though.
By the way, I found their home website and the OPPO is on sale for $649.00.
Region Free OPPO Link

I actually know of another very good company that is selling the Region Free OPPO BDP-83 for $599.00. JVB Digital

Good luck, I'm glad I could help you out.:D

Ordered my Oppo BDP-83 from JVB Digital Monday at 11 am. It was at my door Tuesday at 11:30 am. Hooked it up and without doing any setup, I tested it. I put in a Region A disc - no problem. I put in Righteous Kill Swedish steelbook which I thought was locked - no problem Region A! The case is marked ABC. I put in Terminator 2 German Steelbook - no play Region A. Switched to region B - no problem. Swiching Regions takes all of 5 seconds. I have no Region C to test. The unit is very solid, twice as heavy as my LG and a knockout to look at. Price was $599.00 US. Shipping to Canada in 24 hrs (I didn't ask for that) was $71.13 US Fed Ex. Some duty was charged. It seems a perfect addition to my system. SINCERE THANKS to MASSgains88 for his help.

Ordered my Oppo BDP-83 from JVB Digital Monday at 11 am. It was at my door Tuesday at 11:30 am. Hooked it up and without doing any setup, I tested it. I put in a Region A disc - no problem. I put in Righteous Kill Swedish steelbook which I thought was locked - no problem Region A! The case is marked ABC. I put in Terminator 2 German Steelbook - no play Region A. Switched to region B - no problem. Swiching Regions takes all of 5 seconds. I have no Region C to test. The unit is very solid, twice as heavy as my LG and a knockout to look at. Price was $599.00 US. Shipping to Canada in 24 hrs (I didn't ask for that) was $71.13 US Fed Ex. Some duty was charged. It seems a perfect addition to my system. SINCERE THANKS to MASSgains88 for his help.

:oohyeah: I'm glad I could help. Enjoy the new Oppo!:D:movie:

Reactions: edcopseywinn