Resident Evil: The Final Chapter ( 3D+2D Blu-ray SteelBook) (Kimchidvd Exclusive No.49) [Korea]

Aug 25, 2011
Hong Kong
Release date: April 26, 2017
Purchase links: Lenticular - Full Slip - One-click
HDN Group Buy: One Click - Full Slip - Lenti
Price: $40.99 (Full Slip or Lenti) - $81 (One Click)
Note: Lenticular Edition (700 copies Numbered Card) - Full Slip Edition (500 copies Numbered Card) - One Click will be made as same Number (1~150)

17796226_2067336873493519_2319365856279337889_n.jpg 17799044_2067336840160189_1062818216689391453_n.jpg 14914478647981763.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Which is obviously all these companies care about, but my original point still stands- Why, out of all the classic films in existence, do they release such a niche, and critically/commercially panned film as a premium edition?

I know it's all a matter of personal taste, but surely this film won't have been at the top of many people's lists of movies that deserve this type of treatment...
Mainly because it's guaranteed to sell as @cooey said. It's a new Resident Evil movie so no matter what you think about the movie there will always be fans out there who will buy it. Why would they take a risk on a less mainstream movie if this is a guaranteed to sell out.

Mainly because it's guaranteed to sell as @cooey said. It's a new Resident Evil movie so no matter what you think about the movie there will always be fans out there who will buy it. Why would they take a risk on a less mainstream movie if this is a guaranteed to sell out.
I both agree and disagree; Whilst I agree that it makes sense that Kimchi would want to release a popular title over a less popular title, was RE: The Final Chapter really that successful?

With such a limited run, think they'd be making as much of a gamble in releasing a premium old classic (say for arguments sake The Shawshank Redemption) than a film that doesn't deserve said treatment (of course, that being a matter of opinion/taste)- a low print 'classic' film would appeal to a lot of people you'd imagine.

I both agree and disagree; Whilst I agree that it makes sense that Kimchi would want to release a popular title over a less popular title, was RE: The Final Chapter really that successful?

With such a limited run, think they'd be making as much of a gamble in releasing a premium old classic (say for arguments sake The Shawshank Redemption) than a film that doesn't deserve said treatment (of course, that being a matter of opinion/taste)- a low print 'classic' film would appeal to a lot of people you'd imagine.
It's successful enough to sell out these kinds of numbers as we can already see by the lenti being sold out. I agree that there's a lot of films out there that do deserve the treatment and would certainly sell. I think it may be a licensing issue, perhaps there is more work needed to be done to release these older classic films than a newer release.
Judging by the small amount of older film releases we get I imagine it must be easier for them to approve artworks and such for newer films.

• Thanks
Reactions: Andycadle84

It's successful enough to sell out these kinds of numbers as we can already see by the lenti being sold out. I agree that there's a lot of films out there that do deserve the treatment and would certainly sell. I think it may be a licensing issue, perhaps there is more work needed to be done to release these older classic films than a newer release.
Judging by the small amount of older film releases we get I imagine it must be easier for them to approve artworks and such for newer films.

It mostly comes down to a few factors. In the past I've asked Arrow, Plain Archive, Kimchi and Nova about various titles and almost every time the answer is '[insert studio name] owns the license for it and it's not something they want to do'

Even if the retailer wants to do something people have asked for sometimes studios can't be bothered or just make it difficult (agreeing artwork for example). I'm sure you're also aware that companies deliberately 'vault' some titles so that probably works into what comes out. As much as Steels are close to our hearts they're still pretty niche to a Studio. Also, retailers will only bother with premium releases of things they know will sell. Why waste their effort on 'classics' when they can do something on films that are coming out now. It takes a lot of time and effort behind the scenes to get premium release sorted end to end. Plain Archive are the exception in this case as they do a lot of niche titles (just not in steels) but they have to jump through hoops sometimes.

As for this film; Res 6 was made for $40m. It's made just over $300 in total. The US gross was only $26m whilst this made almost $160m in China alone. As this movie was being released anyway, Kimchi were always onto a winner with this. As far as I know this is the only one of the Res films to get a Premium edition. Res 5 didn't anywhere. Personally I love the film. I love the whole series (it's made well over $1bn) but that's just me and I get why LOADS of people hate it. I personally don't know anyone else that likes this film aside from me and the guys in this thread. Kimchi as an Asian retailer are always going to look to take advantage of the demand in their own region.

Sorry for the long post.

It mostly comes down to a few factors. In the past I've asked Arrow, Plain Archive, Kimchi and Nova about various titles and almost every time the answer is '[insert studio name] owns the license for it and it's not something they want to do'

Even if the retailer wants to do something people have asked for sometimes studios can't be bothered or just make it difficult (agreeing artwork for example). I'm sure you're also aware that companies deliberately 'vault' some titles so that probably works into what comes out. As much as Steels are close to our hearts they're still pretty niche to a Studio. Also, retailers will only bother with premium releases of things they know will sell. Why waste their effort on 'classics' when they can do something on films that are coming out now. It takes a lot of time and effort behind the scenes to get premium release sorted end to end. Plain Archive are the exception in this case as they do a lot of niche titles (just not in steels) but they have to jump through hoops sometimes.

As for this film; Res 6 was made for $40m. It's made just over $300 in total. The US gross was only $26m whilst this made almost $160m in China alone. As this movie was being released anyway, Kimchi were always onto a winner with this. As far as I know this is the only one of the Res films to get a Premium edition. Res 5 didn't anywhere. Personally I love the film. I love the whole series (it's made well over $1bn) but that's just me and I get why LOADS of people hate it. I personally don't know anyone else that likes this film aside from me and the guys in this thread. Kimchi as an Asian retailer are always going to look to take advantage of the demand in their own region.

Sorry for the long post.
No need to apologise- It was a good post!!

Wasn't knocking the fact that people like you will be looking forward to this release incidentally, just think it's a shame we can't get premium releases of any given other film (although you're never going to please everyone, unless you made premium releases of every movie out there, which we all know won't happen)

• Thanks
Reactions: jitstark
Absolutely agree with you that I think licensing comes into play with things like this- As much as it's a shame, guess we should be grateful that these editions exist for the collectors who will appreciate them.

No need to apologise- It was a good post!!

Wasn't knocking the fact that people like you will be looking forward to this release incidentally, just think it's a shame we can't get premium releases of any given other film (although you're never going to please everyone, unless you made premium releases of every movie out there, which we all know won't happen)

I never took personal so it's all good. Trust me, I get why people hate this franchise it's just somehow I love them. I've always been a fan of B-movie horror and zombies/monsters getting blown away in hugely over the top ways.

It's true you'll never please everyone. One of my favorite horrors films is Night of the Demon from 1957 (it's what the opening lines of Kate Bush's Hound of Love are taken from). For me it's a crying shame there isn't a true collectors edition of this and there's only France, Italy, Spain and US with any sort of Blu-ray of it. This was the film I asked Arrow if they'd do a release for and although they are dying to (so they tell me) the company that own the rights are sitting on them.

• Thanks
Reactions: Andycadle84
Sorry to be hyper critical, but why do companies waste their time in making premium versions of films which are essentially complete garbage?

Of all the films in the world that are out there, they choose a film that sits at 33% on RT. It beggars belief that people would want to spend good money on such an awful movie, just because there's a premium edition of it being produced.

Each to their own I suppose...
Because there are people that enjoyed this movie; there are people who dont think this is completely garbage.
A movie that you deem garbage might be someone's favorite; A movie that you loved might be a complete garbage to someone else. :)

Also, RT doesnt mean anything. At least, personally, i think RT is useless and i find it negatively impacts the movie industry as a whole. There are so many movies that are certified fresh on RT but i found them to be a disaster.

Which is obviously all these companies care about, but my original point still stands- Why, out of all the classic films in existence, do they release such a niche, and critically/commercially panned film as a premium edition?

I know it's all a matter of personal taste, but surely this film won't have been at the top of many people's lists of movies that deserve this type of treatment...
1) RE is not niche. May be so when it started back in '02, but definitely not now.
2) Critically panned? Yes. Commercially? Absolutely not. $40M budget and worldwide gross of $312M. Surely, you don't consider that commercially panned?

Also, if everyone were to only watch and like movies that were critically approved, it would be a boring industry, wouldn't it? :)

Sorry to be hyper critical, but why do companies waste their time in making premium versions of films which are essentially complete garbage?

Of all the films in the world that are out there, they choose a film that sits at 33% on RT. It beggars belief that people would want to spend good money on such an awful movie, just because there's a premium edition of it being produced.

Each to their own I suppose...
Cos people like me will buy them to complete the set(and cos its fsr from the weakest in thr Franchise)

• Thanks
Reactions: Ashish
Yeah, I think this is being made largely because the movie is 4th in worldwide yearly gross to date. Well fifth now I suppose . Forgot the new Fast & Furious movie. But that, Logan, Beauty & the Beast and the new Kong movie. All of them will get some fancy release.

Box office does not inherently mean great blu-ray sales, but there's a good correlation.

RE has a huge fan base in Asia -- especially in Japan. It is arguably as popular as STAR WARS is in North America.

Furthermore, movies like THE SHAWSHANK REDEMPTION have been done to death on SteelBook. Despite it being a better film, it would sell far less than RE.