Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (2D+3D Blu-ray SteelBook) (Zavvi Exclusive) [UK]

snooloui

The 'Negative' Ninja
Premium Supporter
Feb 12, 2012
UK
Release date: April 10th , 2017
Purchase link: Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (live)
Price: £24.99
Note: This steelbook displays the title on the spine.

C5S979bXAAA7T-s.jpg 02.jpg
03.jpg

11387240-1464445146360545.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
My feeling is that the mock-up doesn't do this steelbook justice and that the artwork with the finish it's getting will be a pleasant surprise in-hand.
Cool wraparound well-balanced artwork both inside and out and that gorgeous turquoise colour is to die for . . .
Just my personal feeling so nobody need jump down my throat . . . until it's released (lol).

I agree and hope it has a great finish. Apart from the artwork I'll reserve all judgement on the Steelbook itself until in-hand pics are released.

I agree and hope it has a great finish. Apart from the artwork I'll reserve all judgement on the Steelbook itself until in-hand pics are released.
Though I don't think there's much that can save this poor steelbook, I do think that if the troopers and the title are glossy and embossed in great detail, it may end up better than the JPEG. But I'm not hopeful it'll turn out this way.

Another idea: if they include a sheet of speech balloon stickers, so you can customize your steelbook by making the troopers say ridiculous things--that would work for me. :)

IMO it matters not that the particular images used for the outside of the steelbook are not in the final cut of the film as, according to reports, some 40% of shot footage was not used, while others have it down as 46 scenes adding up to not much more than 10 minutes.

Whatever the situation, the images on the steelbook are REPRESENTATIVE of the film, which is more a classic war film set in space than anything else, hence we have two opposing sides on opposite sides of the steelbook - seem appropriate artwork to me.
Think WWII and Vietnam with the director staging scenes taken from classic war films with the only difference being the characters' uniforms.

I've even read that these steelbook shots were nothing more than images used for publicity purposes and that the power-that-be liked them so much that they were used in the trailer (lol).

As the director himself said about images used in the trailer and elsewhere (which are not in the completed film) "I know that's not in the film, but the spirit of it is in the film" . . . and as we know these are images taken at the same location - the tropical paradise world of Scarif - and not at some random place unconnected to the film . . . and whilst the particular steelbook storm/death trooper images may have ended up on the cutting room floor there's still similar images to be seen in the finished film such as this one:-
rogueone-scarif-atact-troopers.jpg

Image via Lucasfilm

As for representative artwork on steelbooks there must loadsout there.
To put it another way, with artwork not actually in the film and two recent examples immediately spring to mind - the severed forearm on SAW and the Tommy gun on the upcoming SCARFACE.

Sorry, I have misunderstood you. @Noodles You're right of course, the actual "wading through the water" scene was not included in the movie. The still picture @lights posted is also not in the final cut of the movie, but it's very close to the Death Troopers' scene.

Please excuse the confusion I caused.

• Thanks
Reactions: harry and Noodles
Sorry, I have misunderstood you. @Noodles You're right of course, the actual "wading through the water" scene was not included in the movie. The still picture @lights posted is also not in the final cut of the movie, but it's very close to the Death Troopers' scene.

Please excuse the confusion I caused.
No need to apologise buddy... it's all good! I guess things may have gotten a little lost in translation between us. Glad we cleared it up anyway and were able to confirm that the scene from the steelbook was indeed cut. :)

"I know that's not in the film, but the spirit of it is in the film"

if the designer of this steelbook had the spirit of the film in mind, they would have came up with better art.

the first objective should be to produce a design that makes people want to buy the product. they failed. i wanted to buy this and now i am actively avoiding it

if the designer of this steelbook had the spirit of the film in mind, they would have came up with better art.

the first objective should be to produce a design that makes people want to buy the product. they failed. i wanted to buy this and now i am actively avoiding it
Well said!

• Thanks
Reactions: neo

Studios don't give a jack about consumers. They will keep re-releasing as long we buy. This has been happening for decades. Nothing new here. :(

I certainly would NOT say they failed as the product is well and truly SOLD OUT !

Apart from that fact all I can add is that I'm sorry you don't like the artwork and hope there's another release more to your liking (not with OTT pricing).

If you don't like the artwork there's not much more to say. . . particularly if you're like me with the artwork being more important than the finish . . . except that the U.K. release appears to be THE release of this international steelbook what with the title on the front and on the spine (allegedly/reportedly).