Rogue One : A Star Wars Story - In theaters December 16, 2016

Drum18

Super Moderator
Premium Supporter
May 3, 2011
Montreal
[CONTAINER][MOVIE1]Genre: Action, Adventure, Fantasy

Director: Gareth Edwards

Cast: Felicity Jones, Mads Mikkelsen, Alan Tudyk, Donnie Yen, Ben Mendelsohn, Forest Whitaker

Plot: Rogue One: A Star Wars Story, is the first film in the new series of standalone Star Wars movies from Lucasfilm. It tells the story of how a group of unlikely heroes unite to undertake a daring and seemingly impossible mission to steal the plans for the Death Star.[/MOVIE1][POSTER1]
qjiskwlV1qQzRCjpV0cL9pEMF9a.jpg
[/POSTER1][/CONTAINER]

IMDB:

Original announcement:
In addition to the episodes of a new Star Wars trilogy, Lucasfilm and Disney have begun development on multiple stand-alone movies that will offer new stories beyond the core Saga. Gareth Edwards will direct the first stand-alone film, with a screenplay by Gary Whitta. The film is due out December 16, 2016.

Gareth Edwards blazed into the filmmaking forefront with his acclaimed work on Monsters, a film he wrote, directed and served on as cinematographer and visual effects artist. The skill and vision readily apparent in Monsters earned him the high-profile spot directing this year's smash hit Godzilla.

"Ever since I saw Star Wars I knew exactly what I wanted to do for the rest of my life - join the Rebel Alliance! I could not be more excited & honored to go on this mission with Lucasfilm, said Edwards.

Gary Whittas screenwriting credits include 2010s The Book of Eli starring Denzel Washington. He is also well known as a journalist and editor in the video game industry, as well as part of the BAFTA award-winning team on Telltale Games adaptation of The Walking Dead.

Whitta states, "From the moment I first saw the original movie as a wide-eyed kid, Star Wars has been the single most profound inspiration to my imagination and to my career as a writer. It is deeply special to me,so to be given the opportunity to contribute to its ongoing legacy, especially in collaboration with a film-maker as talented as Gareth,is literally a dream come true. I'm still pinching myself."
ROGUE1_LOGO_V3_FIN_08-06-15_0.jpg
rogue.jpg

Last edited:
More Details Have Been Revealed About Those Rogue One Reshoots

According to The Hollywood Reporter, the reshoots are definitely happening. However, the reason is much more specific. “The move is happening after execs screened the movie and felt it was tonally off with what a ‘classic’ Star Wars movie should feel like,” the article says. “The goal of the reshoots will be to lighten the mood, bring some levity into the story and restore a sense of fun to the adventure.”

MORE HERE

More Details Have Been Revealed About Those Rogue One Reshoots

According to The Hollywood Reporter, the reshoots are definitely happening. However, the reason is much more specific. “The move is happening after execs screened the movie and felt it was tonally off with what a ‘classic’ Star Wars movie should feel like,” the article says. “The goal of the reshoots will be to lighten the mood, bring some levity into the story and restore a sense of fun to the adventure.”

MORE HERE
What always disappoints me about reshoots is that we'll never get to see the directors original vision... whether it's better or worse compared to the final version, it'd still be cool to see IMO.

Trailers don't impress me, it's the final product that interests me and I usually find the final product wanting. Maybe it's an age thing, but I'm getting sick and tired of CGI crappy movies with no scripts, directions or ideas and that sums up a hell of a lot of films I see these days. Nor am I a troll. If the people making these films can't match the original Star Wars or Empire Strikes Back, why are they wasting everyone's time and please don't try to insult my intelligence by saying any of the last 4 films were even in the same league. They were rubbish........

I'd have to disagree and say that TFA is up there with the first two. Sure ROTJ wasn't as good as the two previous, but it certainly wasn't rubbish.

Whoa.

40% Of ROGUE ONE To Be Reshot?? MISSION IMPOSSIBLE Directors J.J. Abrams And Christopher McQuarrie Supervising An Eight-Week Reshoot??
Here are the common themes in what people behind the scenes are saying:
* Some crew initially heard J.J. Abrams was supervising the reshoots.

* Gareth Edwards [director of 2014’s “Godzilla” and at least until now the sole director of “Rogue One”] is doing the reshoots himself but with a partner, Christopher McQuarrie.

* Christopher McQuarrie [the writer-director of “Jack Reacher” who wrote and directed “Mission Impossible: Rogue Nation” for Abrams], the final writer on Rogue One will be working extensively with Edwards onset to make sure they’re on the “same page” with the most recent draft of the film.

* Christopher McQuarrie’s draft of Rogue One: A Star Wars Story was considered superior to the film they shot previously.

* It was not Edwards’ fault as McQuarrie’s draft wasn’t completed when much of the film was shot and revisions kept coming in that made the film feel uneven.

* 32 sets have been recreated for the reshoot.

* The crew expects they are reshooting 40% of the film.

* They are working 6 days a week for 8 weeks.

Whoa.

40% Of ROGUE ONE To Be Reshot?? MISSION IMPOSSIBLE Directors J.J. Abrams And Christopher McQuarrie Supervising An Eight-Week Reshoot??
Here are the common themes in what people behind the scenes are saying:
* Some crew initially heard J.J. Abrams was supervising the reshoots.

* Gareth Edwards [director of 2014’s “Godzilla” and at least until now the sole director of “Rogue One”] is doing the reshoots himself but with a partner, Christopher McQuarrie.

* Christopher McQuarrie [the writer-director of “Jack Reacher” who wrote and directed “Mission Impossible: Rogue Nation” for Abrams], the final writer on Rogue One will be working extensively with Edwards onset to make sure they’re on the “same page” with the most recent draft of the film.

* Christopher McQuarrie’s draft of Rogue One: A Star Wars Story was considered superior to the film they shot previously.

* It was not Edwards’ fault as McQuarrie’s draft wasn’t completed when much of the film was shot and revisions kept coming in that made the film feel uneven.

* 32 sets have been recreated for the reshoot.

* The crew expects they are reshooting 40% of the film.

* They are working 6 days a week for 8 weeks.

According to McQuarrie, it's all "horses***!" LOL!

https://www.yahoo.com/movies/rogue-one-reshoot-reports-horses-t-christopher-mcquarrie-164623544.html

They say that EVERY. TIME.
Every movie does this kind of spin. Where is the truth? Dunno. But it is interesting...
If they are reshooting 40% of it - do you really think they are going to admit it in public?
Spielberg promised no CGI in Kingdom of the Crystal Skull loudly and publically...
....and I got swinging CGI monkeys! So I don't believe anything!
Monkey%20Gif%20(47).gif
Light-brown-animated-moving-monkey-swinging-on-tail.gif

Last edited:
  • Thanks
Reactions: Flloydo
  • Thanks
Reactions: STARKILLER 1138
[quote}The rumor that almost half the movie is being reshot elicits both laughter and groans from those closest to the film.

And me as well, LOL![/QUOTE]
Ever heard of "damage control"? Why is it such a crazy concept that this movie could be in trouble?
No one hopes it is. But rarely are rumors like this completely false.

Reactions: nefilim
Just got done watching Harmy's Despecialized Editions of the Original Trilogy. Glorious to watch these back the way they should be! Everything back in its proper place....:thumbs:
image.jpeg

About as much as I've heard of net nerds making a mountain out of a mole hill when it comes to rumors. But, hey, I initially fell for it too. It is clear now it's a sensationalized rumor and nothing more thanks to updated reports. :)
Now Tony Gilroy is on as writer and McQuarrie is off?!!!!!!
There is some seriously BAD sh*t going on with RO....

1.jpg

• The background of our cover showcases new Imperial weaponry being used against the nascent Rebellion: taller, slimmer walkers known as AT-ACTs hauling cargo, and flatter, fang-like interceptors known as TIE Strikers.
  • New information about Jyn Erso (The Theory of Everything’s Felicity Jones), the outlaw who has clashed with both the Rebellion and the Empire, and now has a chance to clear her ledger of past wrongs by leading a mission for the good guys. It’s also personal – her father, played by Mads Mikkelsen, is a scientist whose knowledge is sought by both sides.
  • Full details of the squad of characters uniting to take on the Empire, played by the most multicultural cast to appear in a Star Wars film yet: Diego Luna, Jiang Wen, Donnie Yen, Riz Ahmed, Forest Whitaker, and Alan Tudyk – as a performance-capture droid. (One of these has been seen before by Star Wars fans.)
  • A look at the skullduggery inside the Imperial ranks, as seen through the eyes of a new villain: Ben Mendelsohn’s ambitious officer, who’s eager to earn the favor of the Emperor – and avoid the wrath of his black-masked enforcer.
  • Candid revelations from the filmmakers about what the current reshoots are adding to the story as the film nears its December release.
  • Finally, confirmation of what fans have hoped ever since the project was announced: Vader is back. We have a run-down of the Sith lord’s first day on set, and what his return means for the larger Star Wars storytelling universe.
Source.

1.jpg
Jyn Erso (Felicity Jones)
A streetwise delinquent who has been on her own since 15, she has fighting skills and a knowledge of the galactic underworld that the Rebel Alliance desperately needs. “She’s got a checkered past,” says Lucasfilm president and Rogue One producer Kathleen Kennedy. “She has been detained [by the Rebellion] and is being given an opportunity to be useful. And by being useful, it may commute her sentence… She’s a real survivor. She becomes a kind of Joan of Arc in the story.”

2.jpg
Captain Cassian Andor (Diego Luna)
Andor is a by-the-book Rebel intelligence officer, brought in to steady the volatile Erso, but he’s no square. He’s committed, steady, and practical, and has seen more than his share of combat. “He conveys a fair amount of experience and the reality of what it’s like to do this every day, to try to figure out how to resist the Empire effectively and intelligently,” says Kiri Hart, Lucasfilm’s chief of story development. “It’s not easy.”

3.jpg
Chirrut Imwe (Donnie Yen)
Pronounced chi-RUT, he’s no Jedi, but he’s devoted to their ways and has used his spirituality to overcome his blindness and become a formidable warrior. “Chirrut falls into the category of being a warrior monk,” says Kennedy. “He very much still believes in everything the Jedi were about.” He maintains that belief even though the Jedi are no longer there to protect the galaxy. As director Gareth Edwards puts it: "This idea that magical beings are going to come and save us is going away, and it’s up to normal, everyday people to take a stand to stop evil from dominating the world.”

4.jpg
Baze Malbus (Jiang Wen)
Heavily armored, Baze prefers a blaster to hokey religions and ancient weapons, but he is devoted to protecting his friend Chirrut at all costs. “He understands Chirrut’s spiritual centeredness, but he doesn’t necessarily support it,” Kennedy says. Baze goes along with this Force business because “it’s what his friend deeply believes,” she adds. Think of them as a little like the galactic version of Don Quixote and Sancho Panza.

5.jpg
Bodhi Rook (Riz Ahmed)
Bodhi is this Rebel squad’s lead pilot. He tends to be hot-headed, but any abrasiveness is overshadowed by his skills in the air — and the void of space. “He flies a lot of cargo, one of his key jobs,” Kennedy says. “And he tends to be a little tense, a little volatile, but everybody in the group really relies on his technical skills.”

6.jpg
K-2SO (Alan Tudyk)
This towering, powerful security droid is described by Edwards as “the antithesis of C-3PO.” In other words, he’s tough, confident, not especially interested in "human/cyborg relations," and the complete opposite of a neurotic fussbudget. “Kaytoo is a little bit like Chewbacca's personality in a droid’s body,” Edwards says. “He doesn’t give a s--- about what you think. He doesn't fully check himself before he says things and does things. He just speaks the truth.” Like Jyn, he’s also seeking a bit of redemption for past wrongs. Droids, too, can have regret.

7.jpg
Galen Erso (Mads Mikkelsen)
Jyn’s estranged father is like the galactic version of nuclear pioneer J. Robert Oppenheimer, with doomsday knowledge that is sought by both the Empire and the Rebellion. “He’s one of those people that has insight into you know specific aspects of just how the universe works,” says Hart. Where has Galen been, if Jyn has been on her own for years? “The circumstances of how the family got to the state that it’s in is something that we probably don’t want to share right now,” Hart says. (Lucasfilm isn't revealing his image yet, so this is file picture. Don't worry -- the button-down isn't retro galactic fashion.)

8.jpg
Director Orson Krennic (Ben Mendelsohn)
On the opposing side, this villain is an ambitious Imperial apparatchik who intends to use his squad of Deathtroopers to pulverize the Rebel uprising and ascend into the Emperor’s graces – while hopefully avoiding the wrath of his enforcer, Darth Vader. “The bad guy is a lot more terrifying when he’s really smart, and really effective,” says Knoll. “There is a lot of palace intrigue going on in the Empire, with people conspiring to move up the ranks and sabotaging each other. There’s not a lot of loyalty there.”

9.jpg
???? (Forest Whitaker)
This character has a past that Star Wars completists will recognize immediately when they see his name, even if he looks very different than the way they've seen him elsewhere. (He even looks different from when we saw him in the teaser trailer.) There's so much to say about this character, we’re going to save his revelation for later today. Check back to EW.com around 2 p.m. ET/11 a.m. PT for a deeper exploration of this shadowy figure ...

Source.