[RUMOR] Bungie's Next Game is an 'MMO FPS'?

Apr 17, 2009
San Diego, CA
According to an alleged disgruntled former Bungie employee, the developer's next game - set to be published on multiple platforms by Activision - will be a sci-fi 'Massively Multiplayer Online FPS' currently entitled 'Destiny', though it exists under the codename of 'Tiger' at present.

Said ex-employee told Kotaku that the unannounced game will "run on a new Bungie-developed graphics engine and feature unique online connectivity and matchmaking technology." It will also be somewhat like "WoW in space" the anonymous source stated.

Whether this source is reliable however, could be called into question by a statement issued by Bungie addressing claims that 30 non-salaried employees had been given the boot: "The claim is false. Bungie has never been asked to lay off any employees or contract employees by our publisher, Activision-Blizzard, for any reason," the statement reads. "The talented professionals who grace our offices day in and day out are the lifeblood of Bungie – our most cherished commodity – and the unsubstantiated rumours posted today are in direct opposition to the culture and values that we believe make Bungie an exceptional place to work, and to call home."

Bungie's new game will presumably be based upon new IP, as part of a ten-year agreement with Activision. A sci-fi flavoured MMO FPS though?

Yeah, if all these per month titles pick up steam then over the years that is exactly what all we will have. Sure you might pay for your single player experience, (one time purchase) but then all the MP's will be a per month charge to off set all the server maintenance etc. Well, not off-setting it, just pushing that extra cost on the consumers so their profit margins are higher.

pass if i gotta pay to play. When it comes to FPS it would have to be an already established name like BF or CoD for me to even consider it. Even then it would proly be the death of the game for me because they are both getting a little stale. lol.

If it's going to be anything per month then Ill pass, I hate how companies are starting to charge monthly for a game.... especially one thats been made for a console.

+1

pass if i gotta pay to play. When it comes to FPS it would have to be an already established name like BF or CoD for me to even consider it. Even then it would proly be the death of the game for me because they are both getting a little stale. lol.

I've actually heard something that said that the next COD MP could be fee based. Not sure if it would be like the setup that EA did with BFBC2 where it was included with the new copies and had to buy it if you bought your copy used.

+1

I've actually heard something that said that the next COD MP could be fee based. Not sure if it would be like the setup that EA did with BFBC2 where it was included with the new copies and had to buy it if you bought your copy used.

Thats not really a fee to pay BFBC2, I mean all you got was future DLC free for buying it new. Otherwise you could buy the DLC separately just like any other game.

It was extremely worth it though, like 3 packs of DLC for free, just for having the vip pass. Would have been $10 if you didnt, or buy packs at like $5 or $10 or how ever much they were.

Bungie's Next Project is an Action MMO

Following speculation from a supposed disgruntled ex-Bungie employee that the developer's next project will be an MMO FPS, it has since been confirmed that the next game will indeed be a "massively multiplayer action game," according to lead network engineer David Aldridge.

Aldridge's statement was delivered during a panel on network code at GDC, confirming those rumours that Bungie is in the process of creating an MMO. However, it won't be "WoW in space" as the anonymous source had previously had stated.

For now we're assuming that the game is an action FPS set within an MMO framework, but there are still no specifics forthcoming on what exactly the game will be beyond Aldridge's action MMO statement. Bungie's game is currently titled 'Destiny' and is apparently codenamed 'Tiger', which doesn't really reveal much, if anything at all. Bungie is working on an all-new engine for the multiplatform project though, which is set to be published by Activision in a 10-year deal.

Bungie MMO Announcement Was a Joke

Bungie has gone and dismissed reports that it's working on a massively multiplayer online title, as stated by Bungie's lead network engineer David Aldridge at a GDC session.

On Bungie.net, the studio cleared up the confusion, stating that the comments regarding an MMO were intended as a "joke".

"After the childish tears, gelatinous gibs, and acrid smoke cleared, an industrious journalist noticed the final slide from David’s GDC deck which apparently proclaimed that we were hiring for a "massively…multiplayer action game." Ruh oh," reads the post on the studio's official site.

"Now, in rehearsal Aldridge was convinced that everybody got the joke. It was all in the delivery, he assured us, and he was certain it was clear that he was playfully riffing off of the recent rumours. Unfortunately, most people can’t figure David out – they can’t process him. And we don’t expect them to. You can’t process David Aldridge with a normal brain. You’d need tiger blood and Adonis DNA."

Rumours still persist however that Bungie and Activision's game will be a shooter entitled 'Destiny', which currently exists under the working codename of 'Tiger'. Again, watch this space for more as it develops.