Mar 15, 2017
Release date: June 27, 2017
Purchase link: Target
Price: $22.99
Note: Includes a graphic novel

52436760.jpeg

l7WweK5.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Lol did anyone actually watch this movie? I think I'll watch the movie first before deciding to buy the steelbook.

Lol did anyone actually watch this movie? I think I'll watch the movie first before deciding to buy the steelbook.
Yea I did. Wasnt great tbh as Rita was poorly done, ruined goldar, the new suits are poor and the actors are little wooden. Has some good moments but overall this is basically a film that needs to be cheap if wanna buy it

• Helpful Post
Reactions: JCC

I got to see it for free, so I went in with low expectations. It was better than I expected and pretty entertaining considering it's a kids movie. I would give it a 6.5 of 10. I think it would be a great guilty pleasure movie on FX that you don't mind that you started it over half way through.

This was... an interesting one. The movie is the exact opposite of what I thought it would be.
I thought that the movie would be similar to the TMNT movies, where it's just pointless nothingness inter-spliced between mind-numbing action scenes.

But Power Rangers (2017) was the exact opposite. It had some well-written and (surprisingly) well-acted character motivated drama, and some heartfelt dialogue between people trying to grow up.
The part I disliked most about the film was the actual ONE ACTION SEQUENCE towards the end. It was tonally imbalanced, misplaced, generic, and all-around lack-luster.

But the solid hour and 45 minutes of character building beforehand warrants a watch from me.

• Thanks
Reactions: Chee_Kno
This was... an interesting one. The movie is the exact opposite of what I thought it would be.
I thought that the movie would be similar to the TMNT movies, where it's just pointless nothingness inter-spliced between mind-numbing action scenes.

But Power Rangers (2017) was the exact opposite. It had some well-written and (surprisingly) well-acted character motivated drama, and some heartfelt dialogue between people trying to grow up.
The part I disliked most about the film was the actual ONE ACTION SEQUENCE towards the end. It was tonally imbalanced, misplaced, generic, and all-around lack-luster.

But the solid hour and 45 minutes of character building beforehand warrants a watch from me.

That's probably the most positive review I've read of the movie. Well-written and well-acted are not phrases usually attached to this movie. I'll have to watch this before deciding whether to buy the steelbook. I'm trying to avoid another case of ID:Resurgence, where the movie was so bad that I couldn't even stomach having it in my collection.

That's probably the most positive review I've read of the movie. Well-written and well-acted are not phrases usually attached to this movie. I'll have to watch this before deciding whether to buy the steelbook. I'm trying to avoid another case of ID:Resurgence, where the movie was so bad that I couldn't even stomach having it in my collection.

What are you talking about? ID4:2 was a fantastic comedy... never before have I seen a film so trapped in the 90's fail so spectacularly on every conceivable level of what films are supposed to do.
Power Rangers was an interesting case of a filmmaker trying to film succeed in spite of itself. The writing is solid, the acting is solid, the build up is well-established... but the last 20 minutes are a completely different film.

I'd say that to use the word "good" to describe this movie is stretching it a tad bit (although I am a bit of a cynic)- but what the movie succeeds at is building unique characters with real issues. As an action film, or as a throwback to the original property- it was really misguided in it's attempt- but I'd compare this film more to the Breakfast Club than I would any modern Superhero film.

If you have mild interest in this film- it's worth a watch. It's not 2 hours worth of 90's-era dog feces thrown up on screen (like Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles)- but it can be a bit jarring when you don't know exactly the kind of film that you're getting in to.

What are you talking about? ID4:2 was a fantastic comedy... never before have I seen a film so trapped in the 90's fail so spectacularly on every conceivable level of what films are supposed to do.
Power Rangers was an interesting case of a filmmaker trying to film succeed in spite of itself. The writing is solid, the acting is solid, the build up is well-established... but the last 20 minutes are a completely different film.

I'd say that to use the word "good" to describe this movie is stretching it a tad bit (although I am a bit of a cynic)- but what the movie succeeds at is building unique characters with real issues. As an action film, or as a throwback to the original property- it was really misguided in it's attempt- but I'd compare this film more to the Breakfast Club than I would any modern Superhero film.

If you have mild interest in this film- it's worth a watch. It's not 2 hours worth of 90's-era dog feces thrown up on screen (like Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles)- but it can be a bit jarring when you don't know exactly the kind of film that you're getting in to.

I thought the new TMNT movies were actually fun to watch. Kind of like the old TMNT cartoons, just CG. I do get the sense that this movie is not fun, which is probably the one thing you'd want from a film remake of a (super) cheap '90s schlock-fest.

And don't take this the wrong way, but I do take your film recommendations with a grain of salt.

• Thanks
Reactions: FN-2187