Shadow of the Colossus Movie Coming Along

mobius387

beer snob
Premium Supporter
Feb 16, 2009
Milwaukee, WI
Misher Films executive producer Kevin Ping Chang has gone on record as saying the Shadow of the Colossus movie is coming along.

Speaking to Play Till Doomsday Chang outlined just how far the movie has come.

"For Colossus, beyond the cinematic quality of having Wander battling these sixteen colossi, we have to effectively translate that into a narrative that people are going to want to watch for two hours. Without getting into the specifics of the script, that's a big challenge, especially for something so stark," he explained.

"One of the struggles of the game is that it is very episodic in nature, similar to the seven exes from Scott Pilgrim. Not that I don't respect the Scott Pilgrim source material, but watching the movie, I felt it sort of dragged along. Those are some of the pitfalls that we have to be careful to avoid. So these colossi battles need to be very significant, they can't just be one after the other, there has to be something learned from them."

Chang then went on to say that Misher Films wants Team ICO's Ueda's imput as much as possible.

"We are trying to repeat that transparent process with Sony and Team Ico," Chang said. "Sony Japan is very involved right now, we sit down with them whenever they are in town for things like E3. Sony America, we keep in contact with them once a month. As for Team Ico, we like to keep Ueda-san as best up to date as necessary. When we feel like we're comfortable with the product, we'll approach him and ask 'is this something that speaks to your vision and your inspiration?'"

"I think people realize the value of having the creator's involvement more nowadays. They obviously know the material the best. We want Ueda's feedback as much as possible, especially in terms of knowing certain character's motivations for what they're doing, where the character is born, etc. With that information we can begin to build the movie."

When asked if Chang was a fan of the game, he responded;

"Absolutely. I've played through it multiple times."

There you go, at least this movie's being made by a video game's fan.

hookedgamers.com/blogs/markbarley/2010/09/23/shadow_of_the_colossus_movie_coming_along.html

blah..this spells trouble. I dunno how they can translate all 16 into two hours without rushing it. I fear they might not capture the feel of the game.

Agreed... Unless they got Peter Jackson or Del Toro to do it and let them do it right. In 3-4 hours.

Or a trilogy! It isn't just the feel of the game, but the environment and the places you must visit that need to be as breathtaking as in the game. There were a few that had this wow factor by their size as well as the place where you found them. I don't think you can capture all that in just a 2 hour flick.