Song you're listening to???

Was listening to this amazing atmospheric music from the Burning OST:

and was wondering whether there is some type of band or artist which uses similar soundscapes.
The only thing that comes to mind currently is Tool - Disposition / Reflection / Triad.

Was listening to this amazing atmospheric music from the Burning OST:

and was wondering whether there is some type of band or artist which uses similar soundscapes.
The only thing that comes to mind currently is Tool - Disposition / Reflection / Triad.

As far as i know, you can find similar type of music in OSTs for movies and videos games . I dont know any specific artist/band though.

Have you heard or know about ambient music? There are a few sub-genres for that. They are not strictly atmospheric music but sometimes they sample such soundscape music. The only sub genre I listen to is Psybient, so i cant speak for the rest.

Reactions: Foetelaer
As far as i know, you can find similar type of music in OSTs for movies and videos games . I dont know any specific artist/band though.

Have you heard or know about ambient music? There are a few sub-genres for that. They are not strictly atmospheric music but sometimes they sample such soundscape music. The only sub genre I listen to is Psybient, so i cant speak for the rest.
Brian Eno Ambient Series (1,2,3,4) + Music for Films, Music for Films 2. (Also his Apollo: Atmospheres and Landscapes album)

Thanks, I will check it out! I'm not very aware of the different ambient subgenres. I particularly like the earthly, primal (?) vibe that the song has going for it.

Reactions: AlienKing
Thanks, I will check it out! I'm not very aware of the different ambient subgenres. I particularly like the earthly, primal (?) vibe that the song has going for it.
Oh, geez. There are a LOT of subgenres in Ambient!
Checkout clips of the albums first. They vary in style. (Brian Eno basically invented the Ambient genre...)
Any Eno Ambient collaborations are great. But they vary in styles depending on who he is working with (Daniel Lanois, Jah Wobble, David Byrne, Michael Brook, Harold Budd, Jon Hassell, etc.)
Based on the track you played - I'd listen to Spinner, Apollo, and Ambient 4: On Land first.
FE9DB0B3-CA58-4C14-BBA8-9FDFE08318EA.jpeg4F21D353-4C48-4B0C-A641-CB4F1FD0161A.jpegF2860919-C692-497D-9510-CAD190619034.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: Foetelaer
Brian Eno Ambient Series (1,2,3,4) + Music for Films, Music for Films 2. (Also his Apollo: Atmospheres and Landscapes album)
Just listened to Ambient 1. I wont say i'm crazy about it but its very nice (may be i'll go cray after a few listens?). I could see myself just playing it while i'm on the treadmill or when i'm browsing HDN. I've leaned more towards Psybient because I guess I like the way they fuse it. I prefer my tracks with a bit of melody and bass in it. And it ways makes my brain feel some type of way. Like it massages my brain or something :LOL:

But it's really hard to definite as only Psybient. The ones I listen to almost always have a mix of other genres in it even though it's already a fusion of other psy- genres. In my previous post, I was gonna say there are a LOT of subgenres in Ambient then i thought about how I dont actually know ALL the subgenres so i changed my wording to 'a few' then i see you said the exact same thing above. Haha.

I've never actually put in the time to listen to any whole Ambient albums but I've heard random tracks. It's only because i dont have time. There are so many other things i'm trying to listen to. There is the Sythwave/Retrowave I just cant stop listening to. :headphone:

Just listened to Ambient 1. I wont say i'm crazy about it but its very nice (may be i'll go cray after a few listens?). I could see myself just playing it while i'm on the treadmill or when i'm browsing HDN. I've leaned more towards Psybient because I guess I like the way they fuse it. I prefer my tracks with a bit of melody and bass in it. And it ways makes my brain feel some type of way. Like it massages my brain or something :LOL:

But it's really hard to definite as only Psybient. The ones I listen to almost always have a mix of other genres in it even though it's already a fusion of other psy- genres. In my previous post, I was gonna say there are a LOT of subgenres in Ambient then i thought about how I dont actually know ALL the subgenres so i changed my wording to 'a few' then i see you said the exact same thing above. Haha.

I've never actually put in the time to listen to any whole Ambient albums but I've heard random tracks. It's only because i dont have time. There are so many other things i'm trying to listen to. There is the Sythwave/Retrowave I just cant stop listening to. :headphone:
You aren't meant to actively "listen" to the Ambient series. It is supposed to become background landscape.
Check out his collaborations with Jon Hassell. (Dream Theory in Malaysia) - wild stuff. (Btw- when you listen to it - you won't believe that the main instrument is a trumpet! Jon Hassell became a legend for "treated" trumpet. It is other worldly!).
If you like more structure and melody - My absolute Favorite is Pieter Nooten (from Clan of Xymox) and Michael Brook - SLEEPS WITH THE FISHES. A masterpiece. (And a kind of side sequel to Clan of Xymox's 2nd album Medusa - also a masterpiece). Clan of Xymox is one of my all time favorites- They basically invented Darkwave. (Imagine a goth New Order). But SWTF uses song from Medusa as a starting pount for some ambient songs and soundscapes. Michael Brook adds his "infinite guitar" to it. (Michael Brook invented the "infinite guitar". He only made 2. He gave the other to the Edge from U2. The beginning of "with or without you" is the infinite guitar. (Sustains forever).
Brook also worked on some Eno Ambient albums as well.
5913C3E0-D07E-4B75-9640-D03C1D6E8C36.jpegD32CD236-FAE7-4C45-B36C-E47758AF6B8C.jpeg

Last edited:
You aren't meant to actively "listen" to the Ambient series. It is supposed to become background landscape.
Of course, of course but for the ones i keep on my playlist, I'd prefer them if they are something i can zone into once in a while. I might be doing some other work but once in a while I'd just zone out of the work I'm doing and focus and "listen" to the beat here and there. Does that make sense? And does that make me a bad worker? Hmmm...:dunno:...:LOL:

Check out his collaborations with Jon Hassell. (Dream Theory in Malaysia) - wild stuff. (Btw- when you listen to it - you won't believe that the main instrument is a trumpet! Jon Hassell became a legend for "treated" trumpet. It is other worldly!).
If you like more structure and melody - My absolute Favorite is Pieter Nooten (from Clan of Xymox) and Michael Brook - SLEEPS WITH THE FISHES. A masterpiece. (And a kind of side sequel to Clan of Xymox's 2nd album Medusa - also a masterpiece). Clan of Xymox is one of my all time favorites- They basically invented Darkwave. (Imagine a goth New Order). But SWTF uses song from Medusa as a starting pount for some ambient songs and soundscapes. Michael Brook adds his "infinite guitar" to it. (Michael Brook invented the "infinite guitar". He only made 2. He gave the other to the Edge from U2. The beginning of "with or without you" is the infinite guitar. (Sustains forever).
Brook also worked on some Eno Ambient albums as well.
Have no clue about any of these names. Sorry. But sure, I'll check'em out. :)

Love the drop/change @ 02:16. Wish they'd continued that longer. :thumbs:
I'm used to listening to 10-12 min beats. First couple of minutes usually are like a intro/build-up to something else :LOL:

Now this....this is something! @ 00:24, I'm like "Hell yeah! I can rock to this" Love the beat. But the guy started singing @ 00:52 which was a letdown. Before you say anything else, I'm not saying he's a bad singer or this is a bad song or of that sort. It's just that I dont like too many words on these type of beats. A few words here and there are fine or may be even a chorus. But I dont think I can rock a full song. May be it'll go into a different playlist. If i can find the beat alone it's definitely going in to the playlist though :D Thanks! :thumbs:

Of course, of course but for the ones i keep on my playlist, I'd prefer them if they are something i can zone into once in a while. I might be doing some other work but once in a while I'd just zone out of the work I'm doing and focus and "listen" to the beat here and there. Does that make sense? And does that make me a bad worker? Hmmm...:dunno:...:LOL:

Have no clue about any of these names. Sorry. But sure, I'll check'em out. :)

Love the drop/change @ 02:16. Wish they'd continued that longer. :thumbs:
I'm used to listening to 10-12 min beats. First couple of minutes usually are like a intro/build-up to something else :LOL:

Now this....this is something! @ 00:24, I'm like "Hell yeah! I can rock to this" Love the beat. But the guy started singing @ 00:52 which was a letdown. Before you say anything else, I'm not saying he's a bad singer or this is a bad song or of that sort. It's just that I dont like too many words on these type of beats. A few words here and there are fine or may be even a chorus. But I dont think I can rock a full song. May be it'll go into a different playlist. If i can find the beat alone it's definitely going in to the playlist though :D Thanks! :thumbs:
Well, maybe you wanna listen to something more Like THE ORB, or maybe ORBITAL.

Also look into JOHNNY JEWEL from the band Chromantics (he did the music for Drive and Bronson)

Also his side project SYMMETRY. -Themes for an Imaginary Film is great.

Also - if you have the patience to look over the over 100 albums Tangerine Dream has done (!) - quite a lot of amazing stuff in there.

Last edited:
Oh, the nostalgia . . . with mention of Tangerine Dream taking me back to when when I used to pick up all their LPs from those cathedral-like music shops in and around Oxford Street, Central London back in the day. . .
As for the nomenclature "Ambient" music: as far as I remember the sections were labelled "New Age" here in the UK.
I admit to preferring music without voices for years . . . with hours spent listening to Tangerine Dream and solo work from members of the group especially Peter Baumann although my favourite artist at that time was Klaus Schulze. Also enjoyed Kraftwerk, Kitaro and many of the other artists around at the time including early Pink Floyd.

My favourite "New Age" albums of the period would include:-
Klaus Schulze's "Picture Music", "Dune", "Audentity" and - after the CD killed the LP (at the time) - "Are You Sequenced?" from the '90s.
T. Dream's "Rubycon", "Ricochet", "Phaedra" and "Encore".
Peter Baumann's "Romance 76" and "Trans-Harmonic Nights".
Kraftwerk' :"Radio-Activity" and "The Man Machine".
Kitaro: "Silk Road" suite.

Reactions: C.C. 95
Oh, the nostalgia . . . with mention of Tangerine Dream taking me back to when when I used to pick up all their LPs from those cathedral-like music shops in and around Oxford Street, Central London back in the day. . .
As for the nomenclature "Ambient" music: as far as I remember the sections were labelled "New Age" here in the UK.
I admit to preferring music without voices for years . . . with hours spent listening to Tangerine Dream and solo work from members of the group especially Peter Baumann although my favourite artist at that time was Klaus Schulze. Also enjoyed Kraftwerk, Kitaro and many of the other artists around at the time including early Pink Floyd.

My favourite "New Age" albums of the period would include:-
Klaus Schulze's "Picture Music", "Dune", "Audentity" and - after the CD killed the LP (at the time) - "Are You Sequenced?" from the '90s.
T. Dream's "Rubycon", "Ricochet", "Phaedra" and "Encore".
Peter Baumann's "Romance 76" and "Trans-Harmonic Nights".
Kraftwerk' :"Radio-Activity" and "The Man Machine".
Kitaro: "Silk Road" suite.
Good list!
Yeah - early on many of us Ambient fans had to make a distinction. Tangerine Dream and Eno were NOT in the same grouping as Yanni!
New Age became a "catch-all" for all music that was instrumental. Unfortunately, serious instrumental ambient artists ended up grouped here.
I'm sure you realize that Klaus Schulze and Harold Budd are nothing like George Winston and Windham Hill artists!!
Yet, they continued to stuff great artists like Cluster, Vangelis, Holger Czukay, Jon Hassell and Eno into that New Age catagory.
When I hear that term - I just think of all that elevator music Windham Hill was churning out!
If you are a fan of TG and Kraftwerk - definitely check out CLUSTER & ENO (and their various incarnations - Eno, Mobius, Roedelius & Plank)
A5E6D892-E7C9-43C6-9B78-9E2DA2E528CE.jpeg868F9F5F-BA2D-425B-AC48-FA35417F98FF.jpeg2E14865D-FB2A-4AEE-9C9C-F508C3B8DC9A.jpeg

Reactions: virkia