Lone Crusader

The Savage Ninja!
Super Moderator
Premium Supporter
Nov 24, 2011
Corpus Christi, Texas, USA
Engadget
sony-s90-bravia-curved-tv-2014-08-07-01.jpg

Sony's just announced its first large, curved 4K HDTVs, but is doing things a bit differently from its competitors. The new 65- and 75-inch S90 models have less curve than Samsung or LG's offerings, because Sony says that gives better viewing angles and a more immersive experience. Otherwise, they're packed with the kind of tech you'd expect: an UltraHD Triluminos display with "X-tended dynamic range" for better blacks, active 3D, advanced 4K-to-HD upscaling and angled speakers and subwoofers with 4.2 surround sound. Sony's also baked in social viewing, live football mode for instant tweeting and photo sharing. There's still no pricing, but Samsung's curved 65-inch 4K model is $5,000, and its 78-inch model is $8,000 -- despite Sony's smaller curve, we'd expect at least that.

Update: Just for reference, in China, Sony is offering the 65-inch version for 32,999 yuan or about $5,360, and the 75-inch version for 49,999 yuan or about $8,110. Fret not, chances are these will be cheaper when they land in the US.

Oh nnnnnice! Will be looking out for reviews in the home cinema mags. Sony have slipped bellow Samsung recently so be nice to see them come back with a range that destroys the rest like the good old days :cool:

My last 2 TVs have been Samsung, but I don't like the look of their curved screens. I think the Sony version is a much better idea. The room where we watch TV is pretty small, so the flattr curve makes a lot more sense (IMO). They will also need to come down in price as well!