Purchase link: Zavvi - Live Sep 20, 2015 18:00 UK time
Price: £14.99
Note: Limited to 1000 copies

11164657-2844322249447457.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: MRD and paulboland
I will be pre ordering the UK Steelbook
To make sure I get the new transfer

There is reports that the Italian Steelbook has the older Blu-ray Disc inside the Steelbook and not the new restored transfer how accurate that info is not known

Reactions: Flash
Anyone know how many discs this is?
1 Disc
New 4K transfer with new extras

Bonus Features

• I am Spartacus: A Conversation with Kirk Douglas
  • Restoring Spartacus
  • Deleted Scenes - [Play All] - {Spartacus Meets Varinia U.S. Version; Spartacus Meets Varinia U.K. Version; 1967 Finale; Gracchus' Suicide (Audio Recording)}
  • Archival Interviews - (Interview with Peter Ustinov; Interview with Jean Simmons (with submenue text page and 'continue' button)
  • Behind the Scenes Footage
  • Vintage Newsreels - {London Ovation; Tony Curtis Honored; Sir Laurence Olivier Returns to Hollywood; Kirk Douglas Honored; Kirk Douglas Arrives in New York}
  • Theatrical Trailer
  • Image Gallery

Paul is your go-to-guy for Blu-ray info :thumbs:

To give credit where it's due, it's actually thanks to tAldo on blu-raydotcom that we have this information about the Italian Steelbook release of "Spartacus". He posted there six days ago that he had asked Universal Italia on their Facebook page whether the Italian Steelbook would contain the new 4k restoration, and was advised by them that it would contain the earlier 2010 disc. This information has also been repeated on the Italian forum, dvd.forumcommunity.net.

Whether the information is 100% accurate remains to be confirmed. I already have the Italian Steelbook on order but I will also be ordering the UK one. Hopefully, nearer the release date, we will know one way or the other. If the Italian edition proves to be the earlier disc then I'll cancel it and keep my Zavvi order. If it proves to be the new disc then I'll cancel the Zavvi one.

By way of an aside, Universal Italia also stated in their reply that the Italian Steelbook release of "Bram Stoker's Dracula", which they distribute in Italy, will contain the new 4k restoration of that film. So, at least one piece of good news!

Last edited:
Universal Italy will need to make sure the Steelbook released in Italy has the new 55th Anniversary Blu Ray or make sure the Steelbook released in Italy no were on the steelbook itself or jcard has any mention of 55th Anniversary Restored Edition

I can see Universal Italy having to have a replacement Disc program in place if customers receive a Steelbook with 55th Anniversary Restored Edition printed on the Steelbook but the older 2010 Disc inside

Great film, but I'm happy enough with the digibook... although those new extras are quite tempting.

Do we really need or want all the actors on the front in the style of 'Grand Budapest Hotel' ???

Same art as the old Amaray but no matter it's a good 'un and very welcome, particularly with the new disc :thumbs:

Another to add to the list of Kubrick U.K. steels already released:

(1) THE SHINING
(2) 2001 A SPACE ODYSSEY
(3) FULL METAL JACKET
(4) A CLOCKWORK ORANGE
(5) DR. STRANGELOVE
and
(6) SPARTACUS

A THE KILLING / KILLER'S KISS steelbook would be v. nice but unfortunately highly unlikely - no Arrow Academy steels to date to my knowledge - and I'd imagine probably more chance of steels for 'Lolita' :thumbs: and 'Barry Lyndon' :thumbs: than this.

It would be insulting and unbelievable if the Italians don't receive the same re-mastered disc that we are getting although if a studio can put out a 'T2' steelbook with a completely blank spine then I suppose anything is possible . . .

On top of that the price of GBP14.24 is pretty good for this steelbook which is (a) limited to 1,000 and (b) has a re-mastered disc :thumbs:

EDIT 1pm 20/9/15: latest info from Amazon.It "CURRENTLY NOT AVAILABLE".

However, and as mentioned above, there is a very nice looking 'Bram Stoker's Dracula' and there is also 'Lawrence of Arabia' and 'The Bridge on the River Kwai' - all at the equivalent of just over 7 quid each which will allow Free Shipping as they come to more than the equivalent of GBP14.
Anyone know if we will be getting these 3 in steelbooks in the U.K. ?

Last edited:
By way of an aside, Universal Italia also stated in their reply that the Italian Steelbook release of "Bram Stoker's Dracula", which they distribute in Italy, will contain the new 4k restoration of that film. So, at least one piece of good news!
Awesome! :woot::woot:

Thanks for that. I was wondering if it would as I have it on preorder. It's was only about €10 and all! :thumbs:

Reactions: augustus
Looking forward to this. Apart from my Criterion laserdisc i have no other copy of this film so the new steelbook is as good a away as any to add to my collection.

All together now

"No I'm Spartacus"

Scary to think Kirk Douglas is still around...........

Great film have this on bluray and know with the updated and improved version I do want this for sure but will wait for the price to go a bit more down hopefully.

Looking forward to this. Apart from my Criterion laserdisc i have no other copy of this film so the new steelbook is as good a away as any to add to my collection.

All together now

"No I'm Spartacus"

Scary to think Kirk Douglas is still around...........

'Tis true - only one of less than a handful of nonagenarian bona fide stars still with us :thumbs: