Spirited Away (Blu-ray SteelBook) (Zavvi Exclusive) [UK]

steelbookz4eva

In Memoriam 2016 - 2019
Premium Supporter
In Memoriam
Oct 23, 2016
Release date: March 13, 2017
Purchase link: Zavvi (Pre-orders will be live around 6pm UK time on Saturday February 18th)
Price: £15.99

11395575-1084452691326090.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Helpful Post
Reactions: Flloydo
Yes, and a quick check will show that it has been done for 5 of the titles . . . but only for LP covers/gatefolds.
To be precise: for the coloured vinyl for SPIRITED AWAY, PRINCESS MONONKE, THE CAT RETURNS, HOWL'S MOVING CASTLE and MY NEIGHBOURS THE YAMADAS from one of the most recognisable Mondo artists (Tyler Stout).
The design of these vinyl covers will definitely remind viewers of the steelbook covers - maybe not for the busy artwork contained therein (contrasted to the far simpler steelbook artwork) - but more for the central roundel design:-
II
V
SPIRITED AWAY
blog_Ghibli-Spirited-cover-blog.jpg

HOWL'S MOVING CASTLE
blog_Mondo-GhibliVinyl-HMC-blog.jpg

PRINCESS MONONOKE
blog_Ghibli-Mononoke-cover-blog.jpg

THE CAT RETURNS
51GjvGKwDmL.jpg

MY NEIGHBOURS THE YAMADAS
15_dsc04731.jpg

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1_dsc04715.jpg
2_dsc04716.jpg
12_dsc04728.jpg
13_dsc04729.jpg
14_dsc04730.jpg
17_dsc04733.jpg
18_dsc04735.jpg

Yes, and a quick check will show that it has been done for 5 of the titles . . . but only for LP covers/gatefolds.
To be precise: for the coloured vinyl for SPIRITED AWAY, PRINCESS MONONKE, THE CAT RETURNS, HOWL'S MOVING CASTLE and MY NEIGHBOURS THE YAMADAS from one of the most recognisable Mondo artists (Tyler Stout).
The design of these vinyl covers will definitely remind viewers of the steelbook covers - maybe not for the busy artwork contained therein (contrasted to the far simpler steelbook artwork) - but more for the central roundel design:-
II
V
SPIRITED AWAY
blog_Ghibli-Spirited-cover-blog.jpg

HOWL'S MOVING CASTLE
blog_Mondo-GhibliVinyl-HMC-blog.jpg

PRINCESS MONONOKE
blog_Ghibli-Mononoke-cover-blog.jpg

THE CAT RETURNS
51GjvGKwDmL.jpg

MY NEIGHBOURS THE YAMADAS
15_dsc04731.jpg

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1_dsc04715.jpg
2_dsc04716.jpg
12_dsc04728.jpg
13_dsc04729.jpg
14_dsc04730.jpg
17_dsc04733.jpg
18_dsc04735.jpg

Beautiful!

Never seen The cat return even though I've known about it. How does it compare with the "classics"?

Would be interesting to know whether this is a 2,000 print run like some of the other titles.
I asked them on Twitter, but they never responded. I could see it going either way. I'm sure they could eventually move more than 2000 units, but Princess Mononoke was also very popular, and they stuck with a 2000 print run on that as well.

• Thanks
Reactions: Starling
True.

Interesting where the buyers come from for these titles, as forums never display their mass popularity.

I'd say it depends. You look at releases like HDZeta's BvS and Mad Max, or Blufans' Guardians of the Galaxy, you see how popular they are. Hundreds of pages of posts. Then sometimes releases sell out with little to no interest in GBs on here or the other site. It's hard to know sometimes. :wacky:

True.

Interesting where the buyers come from for these titles, as forums never display their mass popularity.
Lot of Zavvi customers are not members of web forums like HDN and BD forums etc they add up to more customers than all the members of web forums combined.

Some releases in web forums you see the popularity of a release and can be a good idea as to the interest of a release but not always

I personally have no interest in these anime animated film but they are very popular in general and have big popularity in some countries

There is some releases that get lot of attention in the web forums that lot of times customers not members don't know about a release and sell well mostly due to forum members it really depends on the release and the retailer involved

Likes of Amazon and Zavvi sell releases without forum posts attention but it does help sales web forums like HDN

Beautiful!

Never seen The cat return even though I've known about it. How does it compare with the "classics"?

Maybe not up there with "Whisper" or "Totoro" or "Mononoke" but I love it - as I do nearly all in the collection - and I'll be buying it again when/if a steelbook is offered.
Great music and top class English language voice dub track (if that's the way you roll).

Maybe not up there with "Whisper" or "Totoro" or "Mononoke" but I love it - as I do nearly all in the collection - and I'll be buying it again when/if a steelbook is offered.
Great music and top class English language voice dub track (if that's the way you roll).

I for one definitely go with the Japanese original track. Too me its a big part of the "magic".