May 30, 2014
Release date: November 1st, 2016
Purchase link: Best Buy
Price: $27.99
Note: SKU 5450018

00-jpg.261636

01-jpg.261637

Last edited by a moderator:
Just changed my in store pickup to shipping, as my local store is closing.

Hopefully this comes in good shape, don't want to have to search for one. :(
Uh oh... what does that closing mean for future Apsmith GB from best buy?

Has anybody seen this in the 3D? Not sure if its worth 35.00 for the 3D disc. Thanks

I saw it in 3d at IMAX and in all honesty the 3D couldn't keep up with the fast motion of the swarm. The planet scenes were good and had depth but if I were you I'd pick up the standalone 3D disc later down the line when it's cheaper or on eBay

• Thanks
Reactions: Lakerone and Ricker
I saw it in 3d at IMAX and in all honesty the 3D couldn't keep up with the fast motion of the swarm. The planet scenes were good and had depth but if I were you I'd pick up the standalone 3D disc later down the line when it's cheaper or on eBay

I noticed that too, also with some other 3D movies in the theater, they are behind in technology, if all theaters could do a higher frame rate that would help alot, but gotta say for the movies that had this problem seem to play out great on a home 3D tv.....

I noticed that too, also with some other 3D movies in the theater, they are behind in technology, if all theaters could do a higher frame rate that would help alot, but gotta say for the movies that had this problem seem to play out great on a home 3D tv.....

That's true and home 3D always seems to be better but when there is lots of fast moving things on the screen it's difficult for your eyes to focus on one thing.

I'm getting the 3D version as I'm getting the Lenti steelbook from Zoom in the UK so I can judge for myself then but that comes out on the 21st. I'll be looking to you guys to let me know how the 3D stands up on this one.

• Thanks
Reactions: Lakerone
I don't know what those other guys were seeing but I saw it in theatres in IMAX 3D and it was amazing. Definitely worth the 3D price.

Technically, there is little left to the imagination when you can CGI pretty much anything now so I was wondering how filmmakers can still push the envelope.

I was impressed both technically and creatively when they came up with the idea of the swarm for this movie. This movie could not have been made 10 years ago, or probably even 5 years ago. It goes to show how they are still able to push the envelope of technical capabilities of the medium.

If you haven't seen this in 3D, then you haven't fully experienced the movie. I have never seen anything as visually stunning as the swarm in this film.

Story-wise, it was only slightly better than average. I enjoyed INTO DARKNESS a lot more. However, visually, it was a treat for the eyes. I don't think I will want to watch this film ever if it is not in 3D.

• Thanks
Reactions: Lakerone
Higher frame rate will negate motion blur in action scenes, but there are still a few cardinal rules with 3D that it won't fix. One of those rules is that you just cannot do fast moving camera moves in 3D because it is just too jarring, high frame rate or not. (You'd destroy your audience's eyes if you did whip pans).

Higher frame rate will negate motion blur in action scenes, but there are still a few cardinal rules with 3D that it won't fix. One of those rules is that you just cannot do fast moving camera moves in 3D because it is just too jarring, high frame rate or not. (You'd destroy your audience's eyes if you did whip pans).

Speaking of whips, if I watch your avatar too long my head starts to hurt...

Reactions: C.C. 95