On Air Star Trek: Discovery (Season 5) [Paramount+]

SteelCollz

Premium Supporter
May 25, 2015
Germany
Premiering in January 2017, CBS is developing a new series for the popular Star Trek franchise and will also be globally distributing. More info to follow.

"The brand-new Star Trek will introduce new characters seeking imaginative new worlds and new civilizations, while exploring the dramatic contemporary themes that have been a signature of the franchise since its inception in 1966."

As announced here: New Star Trek Series Premieres January 2017

Executive Producers: Alex Kurtzman, Heather Kadin
Alex Kurtzman will serve as executive producer for the new Star Trek TV series. Kurtzman co-wrote and produced the blockbuster films Star Trek (2009) with Roberto Orci, and Star Trek Into Darkness (2013) with Orci and Damon Lindelof. Both films were produced and directed by J.J. Abrams.

The new series will be produced by CBS Television Studios in association with Kurtzman’s Secret Hideout. Kurtzman and Heather Kadin will serve as executive producers. Kurtzman is also an executive producer for the hit CBS television series Scorpion and Limitless, along with Kadin and Orci, and for Hawaii Five-0 with Orci. (Source: startrek.com)

discovery.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
For sure! Very curious where it is going and I like that it is serialized rather then procedural (or maybe that will change after a few episodes in?).
I was also impressed with the quality of the show. It could pass for a feature film a lot of the time.
I'm pretty sure this will sadly change more and more with the next episodes due to the not-so-friendly departure of Fuller right after the first episodes and this being CBS which likes procedurals more than anything. But maybe at least the first part of the season will still carry a lot of serialized elements, that's my hope. But for now, I'm just happy they started off so strongly in terms of entertainment.
Yeah, the quality of the show is exceptional. :hungry: Loved that stand-off sequence at the middle for instance. So good to see well-made CGI here and then. :drool:
How is it being shown over there?
Here in Canada it is being broadcasted on SPACE and they showed the first 2 episodes last night. In the USA you have to subscribe to CBS All Access.
I heard that for the rest of the world Netflix will be getting it? Is that true?
Yes, Netflix has all distribution rights in Europe and streams the show hours after it goes live on CBS All Access over here.

• Thanks
Reactions: kaw
So I finally watched episode 3.
Wow. I'm really impressed! It was even better then first episodes.

I will say tho, this series doesn't really feel like "Star Trek". This feels like something else and to be honest, I'm totally ok with that.
This doesn't even feel like the reboot films either. This is its own thing. Its mysterious and layered and I'm liking where its going.

I'm pretty sure a lot of the hard core Trekkies are going to hate on it (but still secretly watch and enjoy it).
I just hope they can get over it and come to an understanding of what this is, a really good show.

• Thanks
Reactions: SteelCollz
So I finally watched episode 3.
Wow. I'm really impressed! It was even better then first episodes.

I will say tho, this series doesn't really feel like "Star Trek". This feels like something else and to be honest, I'm totally ok with that.
This doesn't even feel like the reboot films either. This is its own thing. Its mysterious and layered and I'm liking where its going.

I'm pretty sure a lot of the hard core Trekkies are going to hate on it (but still secretly watch and enjoy it).
I just hope they can get over it and come to an understanding of what this is, a really good show.
My thinking exactly. Well said. :thumbs:

• Thanks
Really impressed with the show show so far. Production values are superb...:drool::notworthy: And here in Europe it's showing in Dolby Vision on Netflix, and on my 65" G6 OLED it looks spectacular. Even if it's only DV 1080P....AMAZING!!! The only way to see it IMO...:naughty::whistle::p

• Thanks
Well that was one hell of a finale. :notworthy::OMG:

Loving that they transported into the unknown, so many roads to go down now. :watch:

Hurry up Jan 2018....:LOL::hungry:

• Thanks
Looks like season 2 has a bit more of a playful tone. Season 1 was pretty dark, but I was ok with that. This still looks pretty great tho and I can't wait!
Not sure who is making the music choices for Star Trek trailers... At least it wasn't Beastie Boys again tho. haha

Watching this and into episode 7 now on CBS All Access, this show freakin' ROCKS! I thought that I wouldn't like another Star Trek more than TNG but DAMN! does this come real close. So glad I decided to preorder the Best Buy steelbook now. :D

• Thanks