Star Trek - In theaters May 08, 2009

Jan 30, 2009
England
Anyone going to see this at all?

Star+Trek+-+Teaser+Character+Movie+Posters+Combined.bmp

Follow the link for trailers and information on the film.

http://www.comingsoon.net/films.php?id=15645

Movie was AWESOME!! :scat::scat::scat: Absolutely loved it, wanna take the kids and go see it again. You all should go see this, one of the best movies I've seen in a long time. Loved Spock and Kirk, the casting was great for all the characters. Eric Bana was great too!!! :oohyeah::oohyeah::oohyeah::movie::movie:

oh yeah, i am definetly going again

ok, so i saw it in IMAX, anyone else?

i also read it was the biggest opening for an IMAX film so far

I'm so jealous of you guys. Never been to an IMAX and I think Star Trek would be awesome on there!! :tear::tear: Think I'm gonna take the kids to see it, so I can go again!

The Shatner Scene You Never Saw In Abrams' Star Trek

You've heard why Shatner's Kirk wasn't included in Star Trek. (He was dead, for one thing.) But Roberto Orci and Alex Kurtzman tried to write him in, and they walked us through their Shatner scene.

In our exclusive interview with Star Trek writers Alex Kurtzman and Roberto Orci, we managed to pick their brain as to what landed on the cutting-room floor during rewrites. The most shocking was the actual Shatner scene.

Alex Kurtzman: We had a scene with Shatner, and that ended up going.

Roberto Orci: Right, we had a scene with Shatner.

Did that even get tossed around at all?

Orci: We wrote it, it was in the script.

Kurtzman: The very last scene when Spock and Spock meet each other, finally. And elder Spock is convincing young Spock that he couldn't interfere, because it would have diverted [Kirk and Spock] away from their friendship. And that their friendship is the key to the whole sort of shebang.

Orci: He gave him a recorded message from Kirk.

Kurtzman: He [elder Spock] said, "Don't take my word for it." And he handed him [younger Spock] a little holographic device and it projected Shatner. It was basically a Happy Birthday wish knowing that Spock was going to go off to Romulus, and Kirk would probably be dead by the time...

Orci: It turned into a voiceover, at the end of the movie.

Kurtzman: So It was a nod too, but it ultimately felt like a cameo, in a way that wasn't.

Orci: I still liked it [Laughs].

Wow, I really wouldn't have had a problem with this scene as described. I'm sad Shatner wasn't in the final version, I could have done with a little less Nimoy by the conclusion in any case. Oh well, maybe Shatner will appear in the next one. But that's not the only thing that was cut from the script. According to the writers, they had a scene of Spock playing the Vulcan lute, and his mother, that got axed. And they had written a young love Kirk moment. We would have met the lovely Carol Marcus, who actually had Kirk's son David in the original series, as a child.

Orcir described it as, "this whole Forrest Gump, young Kirk growing up near Carol Marcus, thing." Which would have been very sweet, I'm sure, but then ruined the whole, "I'm a drunk jerk" image for twenty-something Kirk years later.

Source: io9.com/5249752/the-shatner-scene-you-never-saw-in-abrams-star-trek

The Best And The Worst Of Abrams' Star Trek Easter Eggs

You're going to need to see Star Trek a second time just to catch all the cameos and Trek in-jokes. Here's our guide to the greatest, and most annoying, easter eggs in Trek.

Besides the obvious red shirt slaying and tip-of-the-hat to Sulu's half naked fencing there were a lot of other super quick Trekkie and J.J. moments.

Hey Its What's-His-Face:

The film is stuffed with plenty of Trekkie cameos, and here are some members of the Federation you really shouldn't miss:

Possibly the most annoying Trek cameo, which completely and totally takes you out of the moment, would be Tyler "Madea" Perry sitting on as Admiral Richard Barnett. I have absolutely no idea what he was saying during the film, because I was too busy trying to figure out what the hell he was doing there. He Ted Dansoned my Academy trial moment, and I'm none too pleased about it.

It's been reported all over that Greg Grunberg, the man who is in just about all of Abrams' creations as a good luck charm, was cut out as Kirk's stepdad. But you can still hear him when Kirk is a little boy, over his vintage car's Nokia phone.

Another Abrams alum lurking in the movie is Amanda Foreman, who actually played Grunberg's sweetie in Abrams 90s TV series, Felicity. You may remember her as the uber goth roommate to Keri Russell. Blink and you'll miss her on the bridge.

But my personal favorite cameo was none other than Paul McGillion from Stargate. First off, putting other genre people in this flick is a great little shout out to fans of other long-running franchises, plus he looked awesome telling all the young students what to do. Picture via Trek Movie.

Nods To The Original:

The Centaurian Slug Versus the Ceti Eel:
It's not a continuity error, just an example of the diversity of the universe. The creature that Nero slams into Pike's face isn't the Ceti Eel, its the Centaurian Slug. They're different things entirely, but it's a nice little shout out to Khan and poor Chekov.

Pike's Final Ride:

In the end of the film you see Bruce Greenwood's Captain Pike in a Wheelchair sporting a flashy new uniform. Clearly the wheelchair is a nod to the original series episode, "The Menagerie," where Pike ends up horribly scarred, paralyzed, and his only means of communication are light-flashes in the front of his ride. We asked actor Greenwood about this, and if he was nervous about what'll happen to his pretty face in future Star Trek movies. "It's an echo for sure. [Laughs] No, [I didn't think about the face] not until you mentioned it. I thought my face would be okay. I think I have every expectation that I will remain recognizable for some period [Laughs]."

Science Academy
One big question that was answered in the new Star Trek was why Spock declined to enter the Vulcan Science academy. Orci explained that this was an important question they tried to answer as a nod to the original series. It also helps fill in some of the emotional turmoil Spock was going through, as we watch him being reminded over and over again that most the people he grew up around believed his half Vulcan, half human bloodline to be inferior.

Orion Slave Girls Free To Join Star Fleet:

Roberto Orci confirmed our suspicions that the Orion Slave Girl was no longer a slave, since she was in Star Fleet Academy, "She wasn't a slave, when we made our list we knew we had to have a green girl." Can you see her shiny green face among the other students?

Tribble:
Orci also wanted us to keep our ears and eyes alert when we first meet Scotty, apparently there's a Tribble cooing atop Scottys desk.

The Admiral's Dog:

As you probably already noticed, the whole reason Scotty is banished to Delta Vega is because he tried to transport Admiral Archer's dog... and the dog is still out there, somewhere. A nice nod to the last time someone tried to make a Star Trek prequel.

Kobayashi Maru:

Not exactly a hidden gem, but it was pretty exciting to watch how the whole "cheating on the Kobayashi Maru" test went down. Particularly because Kirk is such a dick during the whole thing.

Groan Worthy Product Placement:
/>

Ok they weren't too horrendously obvious, but you have to do a gigantic-eye roll when you hear Uhura order three Budweiser CLASSICS and then cry out Slusho! It's to much pop culture, aren't-we-clever referencing done in one scene, in my opinion. The Bud shout out was most likely a nod for letting the crew film in their beer plant, located in Van Nuys, California, for the engineering section of the Enterprise. But, thankfully, the product placement was few and far between. The Nokia cell phone ad was a mere second long.

Catch Phrases:
Of course, you're not going to make a Star Trek movie with out referencing some of the characters' classic catch phrases. Everybody has their little shticky moment, from Karl Urban's eye-rolls to the way Kirk leans in the captain's chair, they're all there. In fact, in the beginning of this "Who's Who On The Crew" clip, you can enjoy Simon Pegg doing Scotty's infamous one-liner.

GO TO THE SOURCE FOR PICS AND VID

Source: io9.com/5249667/the-best-and-the-worst-of-abrams-star-trek-easter-eggs

Wow, after all these good replies, I guess I do need to see this movie. I hate star trek, trekkies, all things trek, but I've read that even if you're not a fan of the original star trek that this movie is still really good.

Wow, after all these good replies, I guess I do need to see this movie. I hate star trek, trekkies, all things trek, but I've read that even if you're not a fan of the original star trek that this movie is still really good.

i pretty much everyone other then the hardcore fans will like the remake.

well finally got round to seeing this movie last ngiht, and i loved it...i have seen a few star trek movies and a few episodes here and there and really enjoyed this film :)

Shatner And Khan Together Again. Did Abrams Save The Best For Star Trek 2?

We know J.J. Abrams tried to for a William Shatner cameo in his new Star Trek, but it never worked out. But Abrams is leaving the door open for future cameos. And Khan's invited too.

To be fair, Abrams isn't saying that Shatner will be in the next movie. (And it's early enough that if interviewers asked, "Could Gracie the whale and Squire Trelaine dance together in the next movie?" Abrams' response would probably be, "Maybe.") But still, this is the first indication from Abrams that a long-awaited Shatner cameo could happen in the next movie. And he even has a rationale for it.

Abrams told MTV:

"The point of creating this independent timeline is to not have the restrictions we had coming into this one. And one of those restrictions was that Kirk was dead."

The second name that came up was whether or not they'd be bringing back the most beloved villain in all Trekkerdom, Khan.

As for Khan, many people believe that since Kirk never stranded him on Ceti Alpha V, the character would no longer be the same villain we saw in Star Trek 2. But Abrams argues that it is still possible to feature Khan as the villain in the Trek sequels: "[Kirk and Khan] exist - and while their history may not be exactly as people are familiar with, I would argue that a person's character is what it is. Certain people are destined to cross paths and come together, and Khan is out there … even if he doesn't have the same issues."

Well at least it's good to know that they are toying with the idea of bringing him back. I feel like no matter the time rift, Kirk and Khan are destined to be enemies. If not in one way, then in another.

io9.com/5258787/shatner-and-khan-together-again-did-abrams-save-the-best-for-star-trek-2