Star Wars Episode VIII: The Last Jedi - In theaters December 15, 2017

Drum18

Super Moderator
Premium Supporter
May 3, 2011
Montreal
[CONTAINER][MOVIE1]Title: Star Wars: Episode VIII (2017)

Genre: [GENRE]Action[/GENRE], [GENRE]Adventure[/GENRE], [GENRE]Fantasy[/GENRE], [GENRE]Science Fiction[/GENRE]

Director: [DIRECTOR]Rian Johnson[/DIRECTOR]

Cast: [ACTOR]Daisy Ridley[/ACTOR], [ACTOR]Adam Driver[/ACTOR], [ACTOR]Mark Hamill[/ACTOR], [ACTOR]John Boyega[/ACTOR], [ACTOR]Oscar Isaac[/ACTOR], [ACTOR]Carrie Fisher[/ACTOR], [ACTOR]Gwendoline Christie[/ACTOR], [ACTOR]Benicio del Toro[/ACTOR], [ACTOR]Gugu Mbatha-Raw[/ACTOR], [ACTOR]Jimmy Vee[/ACTOR]

Plot: Having taken her first steps into the Jedi world, Rey joins Luke Skywalker on an adventure with Leia, Finn and Poe that unlocks mysteries of the Force and secrets of the past. [/MOVIE1][POSTER1]
xGWVjewoXnJhvxKW619cMzppJDQ.jpg
[/POSTER1][/CONTAINER]

Official announcement from Star Wars.com:

In addition, Iger confirmed that Rian Johnson will write and direct Star Wars: Episode VIII. The film, which continues the saga after the events of Star Wars: The Force Awakens, is set for release on May 26, 2017 — forty years and a day after the release of Star Wars: A New Hope in 1977. Johnson is widely considered one of cinema’s most gifted young filmmakers, having directed the modern sci-fi classic, Looper, as well as Brick and The Brothers Bloom. He was also behind the camera for three episodes of the critically-acclaimed TV series Breaking Bad, including “Ozymandias,” which series creator Vince Gilligan named as the best installment of the show. Kathleen Kennedy and Ram Bergman, producer of Looper, Don Jon, Brick, and The Brothers Bloom, are on board to produce.​
_1450744577.jpg

8.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the update, Drum! Will have to place on my calendar with all the rest of the superhero movies we are going to be slammed with the next 10years! Yeah!

Just seen everyone panicking on Twitter because of the new release date, then I see it's been changed to December, which had me super confused because I always thought it was December anyway lol. I think I may have just got that idea stuck in my head because both Force Awakens and Rogue One received December releases. It's fine with me anyway... my birthday's in December, which means I can ask for cinema tickets for my birthday again. :D

Reactions: Flloydo
Just seen everyone panicking on Twitter because of the new release date, then I see it's been changed to December, which had me super confused because I always thought it was December anyway lol. I think I may have just got that idea stuck in my head because both Force Awakens and Rogue One received December releases. It's fine with me anyway... my birthday's in December, which means I can ask for cinema tickets for my birthday again. :D

I was the same mate,
I thought it was December too so no difference for me lol

Reactions: Noodles
I was the same mate,
I thought it was December too so no difference for me lol
Haha a part of me wishes they had stuck to May now, just so we could experience the shock and excitement once we eventually realised that it was being released months before we thought. :LOL:

Reactions: Flloydo
It's apparently because of script rewrites. Which scares me a little...but as long as they get it right, I am fine with waiting a little longer. I figured it would be tough to shoot the movie now and have it out next May anyway.

It's apparently because of script rewrites. Which scares me a little...but as long as they get it right, I am fine with waiting a little longer. I figured it would be tough to shoot the movie now and have it out next May anyway.
+1

Will give it a miss. Was not impressed with that last one.... A seriously missed opportunity in my books. I had hoped it would make up for the dire prequels but it didn't

This from Time:
Benicio Del Toro, Laura Dern, and newcomer Kelly Marie Tran joins the saga

As C-3PO would say: “Thank the maker!” Star Wars: Episode VIII is officially underway.

Disney and Lucasfilm made the announcement on Monday with a new video – picking up right where the last movie left off (see it above). Also unveiled were some new cast additions: Traffic Oscar-winner Benicio Del Toro, who was long rumored for a villainous part (if you consider him repeatedly saying he was doing the movie a rumor), and surprise addition Jurassic Park and Enlightened star Laura Dern.

While Del Toro has confirmed he’s playing someone who tilts toward the dark side, there has been no indication who Dern might play – although if Episode VIII delves into the question of Rey’s family, she seems to be a likely option to play her mother. But for now, anything is possible. (And what ties to the original trilogy might Rey’s mother have, anyway? Here’s my guess.)

Dern and Del Toro are joined by relative unknown Kelly Marie Tran, a San Diego native, UCLA grad, and veteran of the improv comedy troupe Upright Citizens Brigade. Calling her a “newcomer” is a bit of a misstatement, since she has been working for years in small roles, including appearances in many CollegeHumor shorts and bit parts in TV shows such as About a Boy, Comedy Bang! Bang! and Jimmy Kimmel Live.

Her role was also unspecified, but presumably it’s a significant one if she merits inclusion in the start-of-production announcement. The presence of an Asian-American actress among the main cast is another step forward for the Star Wars universe, which began significantly diversifying its human population with The Force Awakens.

Episode VIII is being written and directed by Looper and Brick filmmaker Rian Johnson and will be produced by Lucasfilm president Kathleen Kennedy and Johnson’s longtime producing partner Ram Bergman.

Although Walt Disney Co. CEO Bob Iger said last week principal photography was already underway, the studio announcement Monday said filming had just began. (Technically, it started back in September, when the crew returned to the Irish seaside location of Skellig Michael for the shots featured in the video above.)

Here’s how the studio announcement began:

“Rey took her first steps into a larger world in Star Wars: The Force Awakens and will continue her epic journey with Finn, Poe, and Luke Skywalker in the next chapter of the continuing Star Wars saga, Star Wars: Episode VIII, which began principal photography at Pinewood Studios in London on Feb. 15, 2016.”

The cast of The Force Awakens is back in action, too – 22 months after many were first announced with with a now-iconic black and white photo of the cast assembled on a soundstage for a table read of the script. For Episode VIII, Mark Hamill, Carrie Fisher, and Anthony Daniels will all return, joining the galaxy’s new generation: Adam Driver, Daisy Ridley, John Boyega, Oscar Isaac, and Domhnall Gleeson. Captain Phasma obviously survived her trip into the garbage compactor, since Gwendoline Christie is returning as the chrome trooper, and we’ll get more of Supreme Leader Snoke and kindly Maz Kanata, with performance-capture stars Andy Serkis and Lupita Nyong’o resuming their roles.

If you still haven’t seen The Force Awakens yet, don’t think too hard about who is missing from that list – although it’s kind of obvious. (And I’m not talking about BB-8. If that roly-poly robot weren’t in the sequel, there would be riots.)

One name who still hasn’t appeared: Billy Dee Williams as Lando Calrissian. Han Solo’s frenemy and inveterate con artist turned Cloud City politician only joined Star Wars in its second installment, The Empire Strikes Back, so many fans were hoping for a little symmetry by seeing the 78-year-old actor back in the blue cape for Episode VIII. No such luck – although it’s possible, even likely, his presence could be saved as a surprise.

Episode VIII will be executive produced by J.J. Abrams, Jason McGatlin, and Tom Karnowski, and the sequel will get some new crew as well. Among them, cinematographer Steve Yedlin (who worked with Johnson on Looper), editor Bob Ducsay (Looper, San Andreas), production designer Rick Heinrichs (Fargo, Captain America), hair and make-up designer Peter Swords King (The Lord of the Rings saga), and U.S. casting director Mary Vernieu (Black Swan, Looper – see a pattern here?)

They join returning crew members co-producer and VP post production Pippa Anderson, creature and droid FX creative supervisor Neal Scanlan, costume designer Michael Kaplan, prop master Jamie Wilkinson, SFX supervisor Chris Corbould, stunt coordinator Rob Inch, VFX supervisor Ben Morris, and U.K. casting director Nina Gold.

Star Wars: Episode VIII is set for release Dec. 15, 2017, but we’ll get more galactic adventure on the big screen before that, with Star Wars: Rogue One, a stand-alone story about the team that steals the plans for the original Death Star, dropping this year, on Dec. 16.

Expect things to go quiet on Episode VIII for the near future while director Gareth Edwards’ Rebel heist film moves to the center of the galaxy.