Release date: April 9, 2018
Purchase link: 3D+2D - 4K+2D
Prices: £24.99 (3D+2D) - £32.99 (4K+2D)
Notes: Includes title on the spine

DWe9r2ZXkAAnWdO.jpg DWe9r1GW0AAQ5De.jpg
DWe9r0tWkAAJ3e3.jpg DWe9r03X4AIEGlT.jpg
11642793-8654539570351600.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
As much as I hate to say it- I don’t think those cuts will every be officially released. The national film library of Congress Requested reels of Star Wars and The Empire Strikes Back bear decades ago- to be added to the national film registry. And Lucasfilm still has yet to supply them with a copy of the original versions of each film.

So if the US Government has yet to get those- I highly doubt consumers ever see them.

Weren't they released on DVD?

Weren't they released on DVD?

The original version of Star Wars ‘77 was released on the Bonus features Disc on the 2004 Special Edition release. However the DVD was rife with screen tearing, motion blurring, and lower quality audio transfers. Empire and Jedi were never released in the original state post 1997’s last VHS run of the series prior to the theatrical release of he special editions.

The highest quality that you can officially find of the Original 3 unaltered films is via Laserdisc.

Yep, hence why I had my player completely overhauled and a new laser installed last year :D

You joke but I know someone who has a functioning laser disc player simply because of Star Wars... xD
It's hilarious and cumbersome and it never fails to get a spit-take out of SOMEONE.

Correct. The GOUT only exists for the original Star Wars '77. Subsequent alterations made to Jedi and Empire (even if small) were never produced post VHS times. Small changes such as the cloud city interior and the addition of Sy Snootles in Jedi are still present in every DVD release. And while I'm not aware of the 2006 re-release- but if it is the same as the transfer from the 2004 Special Editions, it's a terrible DVD transfer and I wouldn't advise owning it in the first place. Lucasfilm claims that the original negatives of the films were permanently altered in order to create the Special Editions, and thus- the only way to get unaltered versions of the original films is either purchasing the 1993 released Laserdisc set or a VHS copy PRIOR to 1995- before circulation of the original versions was stopped.

That, or look up Harmy's Despecialized versions of the film. That's probably the easiest way to track it down, and the highest quality of transfer.

I have the original TRs on LD but "Return" is either showing signs of 'laser rot' or my Pioneer Elite LD player just hates that movie.:OMG:
I also have them on VHS but watching them on a 65" Panny Plas is like watching through a screen door.
I've effectively resigned myself to watching the "Saga" versions and living with the alterations.
Thing is, if I want a "Star Wars Fix" it's gonna be them vice latest incarnations. I'm pretty forgiving with HollyHell but other than Rogue One, I'm not doing handstands in the parking lot after watching the latest.

wish they get on with showing the art, app this should be out at start of april according to storys on the web which if true means about 7 weeks away.

basil :thumbs:

More likely this (Benelux) "with spine title" -------------------------------------- than this (U.S.):-
upload_2018-2-17_14-22-44.png
upload_2018-2-17_14-21-37.png

Maybe not as stunning as the U.S. but at least the large single image will fit in better with most of the previous WWA steelbooks:-
upload_2018-2-17_14-31-50.png
upload_2018-2-17_14-29-59.png
upload_2018-2-17_14-40-20.png
upload_2018-2-17_14-35-51.png
upload_2018-2-17_14-42-12.png

• Helpful Post
Reactions: UpsetSmiley
More likely this (Benelux) "with spine title" -------------------------------------- than this (U.S.):-
View attachment 358930 View attachment 358929

Maybe not as stunning as the U.S. but at least the large single image will fit in better with most of the previous WWA steelbooks:-

Yep, picture spine looks like WWA artwork alright. Not having Luke on the front is just wrong.

Maybe it'll be both artworks - the Benelux for the 3D option and the U.S for the 4K . . .

With various recent options for JUSTICE LEAGUE, VALERIAN, SPIDER-MAN HOMECOMING, BLADE RUNNER 2049, WONDER WOMAN, BABY DRIVER, SUICIDE SQUAD, PASSENGERS etc. surely not unreasonable to hope for more than one regular steelbook in region "B" for this big title.

As can be seen, the Benelux artwork, even with spine title, looks a definite step down from the classy and beautifully balanced artwork of The Americas steelbook.