SteelBook Mini - Forum Recommendations & Feedback

Wreck

Is Here To Serve
Staff Member
Jan 26, 2009
USA
Hi all,

What are some possible ideas of what things could be included and/or uses of the SteelBook Mini in which you would welcome or like to see?

First and foremost the idea is not to replace g2 sized disc SteelBooks, but an addition to the marketplace.

Not sure if other Country retailers have seen the digital cards and/or ugly card hangers that we see in Walmart for digital movies but seems there is some room to compete against that or as mentioned above utilize for something different entirely.

Some of my own ideas

Video game dlc - seems that would be a cool physical add on resembling something from the game.

Metal themed cards inside

Extra special features to a movie perhaps earlier then release date.

Many of the Premium SteelBook retailers use numbered cards , release this in addition holding the card.

Coin or pin inside licensed case with dlc card inside.

Theater merch with coin inside. (AMC in USA has been doing marvel coins )

Do you have any thoughts, ideas, or constructive criticism?

I usually only buy game DLC in a sale, especially if a collector's edition cheaps out by not including a season pass. Do people actually buy digital content in store? I might be tempted to pay full price for DLC if one of these was included for free but it would cancel out the only real benefit of digital, no need to find storage space.

I suppose premium retailers could use them to house the cards etc, but again it creates a space issue, and will most likely bump up the price.

In my opinion every collectors edition they do for video games should have the Season Pass included

Hell a Master DLC Code which unlocks EVERYTHING the game has going for it preorder wise World Wide and the Season pass

For whatever it's worth, IMO, the idea of a steelbook of any size that intends to represent something intangible or consumable is not the sort of thing I would personally be interested in.

Housing a physical movie/game inside of a steelbook makes sense, for all of the reasons we love steelbooks/special packaging. Buying, say, the Breath Of The Wild Expansion Pass on a POS-activated card contained inside of a steelbook (even if said steelbook managed to be the same size as a Switch case and as such could be stored next to the original game), just does not feel like an interesting proposition, as once the card has been redeemed, the case is now just a case, without purpose, occupying space that would be much better used by a case that holds something.

Now, if said case was actually a Switch-sized steelbook for Breath Of The Wild itself, offered as a bonus included with the purchase of the Expansion Pass contained within? Now you're playing with power. And way off-topic.

So yeah, no offense to Scanavo, but their product isn't so preciously and masterfully produced that it deserves to be worshiped on its own, independent of any other function. Hell, they still haven't figured out how to reliably glue a spine label on straight.

And inversely, if the goal is to make them more common/disposable, is that ultimately good for the reputation of the product? If I receive a gift card/DLC voucher in a steelbook that is otherwise useless for any other purpose but holding a card/piece of paper, why bother, really? It'll be just fancy enough to make me not want to throw it out, but not so fancy or purposeful that I'd actually do anything else with it, and I don't know about the rest of you collector types, but I've got enough freakin' clutter around here.

I get that physical media will be phased out for all intents and purposes a lot sooner than we want it to be, and for a company like Scanavo, you're just plain negligent if you ignore that reality for a minute longer. Maybe we'll get empty steel "upgrades" for already-released discs (IMO this should have been happening a long time ago) at the tail-end or something similarly depressing, but it'll be ugly regardless. Like the last couple of new release CD's that I tried to buy at my local independent record store that plain and simply never received any copies. Like, WTF is this world coming to, man?

Seriously though. If they're looking for new ways to generate revenue, sell us empty steelbooks for existing media that we can use to upgrade our existing stuff. The margins would surely be way higher, and no one would have to worry about what disc/version was included inside. Who wouldn't pay ~$20+ for an empty premium steelbook for a movie/game they already own? Even more if it contained the aforementioned DLC/Ultraviolet/intangibles and/or other "collectible" nonsense like the crap in all these fullslip editions.

Never mind a Mini with a spot-glossed rubber duck on the front and a Bed Bath & Beyond gift card inside, give me a $30 high-gloss debossed G2 steelbook for Night Of The Creeps and you can have all the moneys. Well, 30 of them anyway. Until the next one...

tl;dr - I got nothin'.

Reactions: dfoles
I can understand the appeal of using them for movie soundtracks but otherwise I don't see the point. I wouldn't purchase one if it contained a digital copy or downloadable content for example, I think that's a waste of time.

• Thanks
Reactions: Noodles
In my opinion every collectors edition they do for video games should have the Season Pass included
I second that. Would love to get some Zimmer limited edition steelbooks! :)
I can understand the appeal of using them for movie soundtracks but otherwise I don't see the point. I wouldn't purchase one if it contained a digital copy or downloadable content for example, I think that's a waste of time.
I agree with all of the above.

Reactions: CollectorEmtee