SUBWOOFERS

Glen-BoB

Grampie Blu-Clan
Jan 28, 2009
Dartmouth, NS, CaNaDa
My sub has never been great but I just rolled with it since it came with the package I bought. Now it's done went and s**t the bed so I finally need to make a move. Reading allot of good reviews about Precision Acoustics 10" 150-Watt Powered Subwoofer (HD S10) and for 300 bucks you really can't go wrong. Anyone have this, or any other "precision acoustic" products for that matter? I've never owned anything by them so I'm skeptical but this looks pretty sweet.

I've never personally heard that one but if $300 is your budget, then I'd keep an eye out on Amazon. They frequently have some pretty good deals on subs, especially in that price range.

I would personally go with a sub from a more reputable audio company, like this velodyne. They generally make pretty good subs. Same price too
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001GON5AG/?tag=hidefnin-20

If you really want to go budget and don't really care to hear every single note perfectly, you can try this sub too, it gets some pretty darn good reviews for a sub $200 speaker
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0015A8Y5M/?tag=hidefnin-20

Last edited:
Well I just bought the one I listed in the OP. It sounds sooooooooo much better than the ****** little one that came with my JBL speaker set. Fills the room nicely. now only have to worry about it's longevity. I do have a question about getting the BEST results from it. There seems to be a few ways to hook it up. Right now I just have the 1 RCA cable coming from my amp to the woofer. Is there a big difference if I set it up so the front speakers go to the woofer and then out to the speakers? If there is no huge difference I will leave it as is since it sounds 10 times better than before anyway.

Well I just bought the one I listed in the OP. It sounds sooooooooo much better than the ****** little one that came with my JBL speaker set. Fills the room nicely. now only have to worry about it's longevity. I do have a question about getting the BEST results from it. There seems to be a few ways to hook it up. Right now I just have the 1 RCA cable coming from my amp to the woofer. Is there a big difference if I set it up so the front speakers go to the woofer and then out to the speakers? If there is no huge difference I will leave it as is since it sounds 10 times better than before anyway.

Don't forget to add a Y extension to the subwoofer end of the RCA cable. It gives you a much better sound.

I have a SVS PB12-plus. 800 watts of pure subsonic power. I had to turn the gain down to about a 2 mark as it was rattling my windows. I'm sure if I turned it up to about 8 or 9 mark it would break them. It was $1400 though but the sound is phenominal and it was well worth every bit of money.

SDC11070.jpg

SDC11071.jpg

Reactions: enstielykath
Very nice sub! I wonder how the ported type sounds vs a closed sub though? Is it crisp or muddy? The problem with SVS is that I can't audition them to compare & every one has they're own preference on sound.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

They're a very tight bass. As for a closed type sub or better known as a band pass box, I couldn't really say as I've not heard one before. SVS make some of the best subs out there though. I've listened to JBL, Klipsch and Polk Audio and SVS outperforms them in every way. :oohyeah:

Got a smokin' deal on a Def Tech Trinity (40% off brand new) so had to pull the trigger. This thing is an absolute beast. 2000w, 2x14" woofers, 4x14" radiators. I had to add adhesive felt to a few odds & ends around the house. :D

HomeTheaterDevices02Sub.jpg

Hey Blu, what do you mean by adding a Y extension to the sub ?
Anything that I miss out? Any reading on this? Interesting..:cool:

This answer is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay late, but just in case you notice this response:

The Y-Adapter connects to the digital-RCA (the cable that goes from the receiver to the sub) on the side going to the sub. The Y adapter splits the signal into two cables with the RCA ends, which basically allows you to simulate hooking up two separate cables to the sub, since all it needs is signal... the internal amp will boost it anyway.

*Many subs have dual-rca inputs. So using both of them is better then using only one.

---------- Post added at 11:58 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:57 AM ----------

Got a smokin' deal on a Def Tech Trinity (40% off brand new) so had to pull the trigger. This thing is an absolute beast. 2000w, 2x14" woofers, 4x14" radiators. I had to add adhesive felt to a few odds & ends around the house. :D

HomeTheaterDevices02Sub.jpg

Hehe... Is that sub right next to a piano? Does it ever hit hard and tickle some piano strings? :)

Hey Blu, what do you mean by adding a Y extension to the sub ?
Anything that I miss out? Any reading on this? Interesting..:cool:

Rather than having you subwoofer cable just going into one of your 2 inputs (red/white) use a Y connector so that the sub cable feeds both inputs. Gives better bass.

Sorry, I hadn't realized that JPBostin had already explained it quite eloquently.

Last edited:
Reactions: n3wk1d
Still got my eltax sub from nearly 10 years ago and it's still going strong. I need to upgrade my speaker wires though

I've got a B&W ASW650. WOW what thumping comes out of that sucker. My kitchen is right above my home theater and the plates rattle in the cupboard!!