SUBWOOFERS

Glen-BoB

Grampie Blu-Clan
Jan 28, 2009
Dartmouth, NS, CaNaDa
My sub has never been great but I just rolled with it since it came with the package I bought. Now it's done went and s**t the bed so I finally need to make a move. Reading allot of good reviews about Precision Acoustics 10" 150-Watt Powered Subwoofer (HD S10) and for 300 bucks you really can't go wrong. Anyone have this, or any other "precision acoustic" products for that matter? I've never owned anything by them so I'm skeptical but this looks pretty sweet.

Don't forget to add a Y extension to the subwoofer end of the RCA cable. It gives you a much better sound.

Hey Blu, what do you mean by adding a Y extension to the sub ?
Anything that I miss out? Any reading on this? Interesting..:cool:

This answer is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay late, but just in case you notice this response:

The Y-Adapter connects to the digital-RCA (the cable that goes from the receiver to the sub) on the side going to the sub. The Y adapter splits the signal into two cables with the RCA ends, which basically allows you to simulate hooking up two separate cables to the sub, since all it needs is signal... the internal amp will boost it anyway.

*Many subs have dual-rca inputs. So using both of them is better then using only one

Rather than having you subwoofer cable just going into one of your 2 inputs (red/white) use a Y connector so that the sub cable feeds both inputs. Gives better bass.

Sorry, I hadn't realized that JPBostin had already explained it quite eloquently.

I know this is a bit late but here's my input.

In the days of stereo you would normally hook up a preout to a powered sub and would adjust the crossover and level for both. Most subs at the time did not have signal detection to tell if a stereo or mono signal was used and the low pass filter would send both low freq signals to a buffer and the sub would amplify in mono. This would also allow independent subs for left and right channels, until Pro Logic and DD were created/developed.

Where a down mix was needed to perform base management vs. running 6 channels of preout to a sub the receiver did the work and one connection to the sub was all that was needed.

Nowadays most subs can detect if a two channel signal is hooked up and will compensate for this. In fact you could make the sound worse by using a Y connection as this has been known to introduce noise into systems. When you install a Y splitter on the sub cable all you are doing is doubling the strength of the input signal. The most you can expect to gain from this is +3 dB increase in sound pressure.

You can accomplish the same thing for free just by upping the sub level in your AVR.

The Y splitter does not provide any additional performance or sound pressure that could not be recreated by increasing the sub volume control. As an example if you have 1000 watts to play with you can cut it anyway you like but its still is and will always be 1000 watts.

The only time I would recommend using a Y splitter is if you are experiencing difficulty getting the sub to wake from "sleep" mode that would only be solved by cranking up your sub level well into the positive to get satisfactory auto-on performance.

IMO, you are far better off checking you sub and AVR manual to see which is the best way to hook it up. If it doesn't say then contact either manufacturer to get the info straight from the horses mouth.

Yeah, I love my SVS, but I dont think you can touch one of those for less than $400 though. If you can stretch your budget, I can assure you that you will be pleased with the SVS.
I am the same opinion superb prix for great product , SVS for you is a good choice.
Another good subwoofer for you that live in Canada and America is this
http://www.hsuresearch.com/.
Are very good product read on internet the opinion and make the right thing.: Yess:

Reactions: Troll2Fan
Yesterday I bought an "old goldie" that I used to own some like 10 years ago...I wonder if it´s gonna sound like before?

Paradigm PS 1200
676859448_o.jpg

Couldnt be more happier with my first 'real' subs. 2 of the Rythmik Audio F12s. Was debating between getting these or the SVS 12s, which I have heard a lot at my buddys place. Took the word of my system calibrator and went with Rythmik and am glad I did.

My JL Audio Gotham is on it's way...:oohyeah:

This baby is a Rolls Royce of subs, giving you 3800 watts of RMS Power!!! It is window shattering power....EEK! :LOL:

:drool: Looks great :drool: aaaand I just saw the price tag :( You weren't kidding when you called it the Rolls Royce.

Let us know how it sounds with your system once you've got it set up.

Reactions: earthscope
@earthscope i just googled those subs and........ :jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop: :woot:
drool.gif
drool.gif
:woot:
applause-smiley-emoticon.gif

Congrats!!! :thumbs: those are some KICK AS* subs dude :thumbs: ;) and i noticed the price what these are going for (at least here in Finland) :jawdrop: :greedy: Hopefully we get see some pics when you get them :happy:

@Asopp, the Gotham is truly an impressive sounding sub, and I briefly toyed with the idea, but I couldn't make myself spend $12k for a sub. Especially after the money I spent upgrading all of my equipment and speakers. Lol!

Reactions: Asopp
@Asopp, the Gotham is truly an impressive sounding sub, and I briefly toyed with the idea, but I couldn't make myself spend $12k for a sub. Especially after the money I spent upgrading all of my equipment and speakers. Lol!

12k there 14k here :D Those prices are sooooooo far away from the prices that i payed for subs when i was younger setting up my car or home system :p :shy:

Do you have pics of your set up somewhere??