Suspiria (4K+2D Blu-ray FuturePak) (Crowdfunded) (CultFilms) [UK]

paulboland

Contributor Steels/Arrow
Contributor
Premium Supporter
Sep 10, 2012
Navan/Ireland
Release date: TBA
Purchase link: Indiegogo (Crowdfunding will start at 12.30 PM on October 30 2017)
Price: £29.00 (Early Bird first 85 backers price is £24.00)
Notes: Crowdfunded limited edition UHD and Blu-ray dual-format Embossed Numbered FuturePak gloss finish limited to 950 copies

zqcwzi3sth7oxurxgg9o.png

Actual pics courtesy @Hereticz

Last edited by a moderator:
Good news boys and girls they changed description, now SteelBook is Metal Box. Problem solved :rofl::rofl::rofl:

But rly, still 0 official comment. Is this some kind of joke?

This is the response they sent to me, when i contacted on the website:

Thank you for your message. We can confirm that our release will be using the metal case know as “FuturePak”. We are very sorry to hear that you are unhappy with this decision and want to refund your participation. We obviously will refund you on your backing. However, the campaign is now finished and is now ‘On Demand’, so it’s not possible to do it by Indiegogo. We’ll need to refund you probably via PayPal. Please let us know whether this is a suitable means of reimbursement.

• Helpful Post
Reactions: HUBMUSWELL
Trouble is none wins. If everyone wants a refund then the whole project dies and unlikely to see any more. At the end of the day we don't know if it was a genuine oversight on the part of the producers of this project or someone involved in the packaging who simply didn't know the serious difference between the different types of metal cases. In other words playing the blame game is no good in this case (no pun intended) as it's clearly too far down the line for the error to be rectified.

Trouble is none wins. If everyone wants a refund then the whole project dies and unlikely to see any more. At the end of the day we don't know if it was a genuine oversight on the part of the producers of this project or someone involved in the packaging who simply didn't know the serious difference between the different types of metal cases. In other words playing the blame game is no good in this case (no pun intended) as it's clearly too far down the line for the error to be rectified.

I can see a lot of refunds! this was crowd funded, so people will be pretty peeved that they have paid upfront for what they thought was a steelbook.

The blame rests completely with Cult Films, its obvious they didn't do any proper research and most likely saw "steelbook" as just a generic term for metal case. They clearly didn't know that steelbooks are very specific and that's what collectors were actually expecting. Unfortunately they funded this campaign under false advertising.

Reactions: terry44

Thank you for your message. We can confirm that our release will be using the metal case know as “FuturePak”. We are very sorry to hear that you are unhappy with this decision and want to refund your participation. We obviously will refund you on your backing. However, the campaign is now finished and is now ‘On Demand’, so it’s not possible to do it by Indiegogo. We’ll need to refund you probably via PayPal. Please let us know whether this is a suitable means of reimbursement.
At least you got a reply their customer service is disgusting.

Last edited:

Typical PR spin speak...Surely it's not the funders fault for being unhappy?

CultFilms should have owned up to making a mistake at the VERY beginning...I would have, for one, have accepted that

CultFilms should have owned up to making a mistake at the VERY beginning...I would have, for one, have accepted that
Again they might have found out too late in the day that they were not getting steelbooks. It really could be a case of the right hand not knowing what the left hand was doing.
I've seen it happen before and it's easily done.

Again they might have found out too late in the day that they were not getting steelbooks. It really could be a case of the right hand not knowing what the left hand was doing.
sure. but you dont just throw the picture out there with NO explanation and then just change the title and think we are all dumbasses and wont notice

• Thanks
Reactions: GI_SnakeEyes
Again until we get an explanation (whatever it is) we can't judge. If they don't speak out within the next few days then there is something funny going on.... I suspect behind the scenes the blame game is going on.

I couldn't find answer to my question anywhere.

Does CultFilms version of Suspira has same colors like (new) Italian and German BR? I know that they are the same TLE transfer, but mine almost 30 years old VHS tape have colors looking more like Synapse than TLE :(
I wanted to do (finally) upgrade, but the diffrence I saw on cap o holics is HUGE!

Someone did the costings at the very beginning....and where did they get the Metal case prices from? From Scanavo which has the Steelbook trade mark? I don't think they entertain 1000 runs which isn't part of a larger deal.

Not a chance, they would've known from pretty much day one that it would have been a FuturPak as they would have to approach the companies to get them approved, etc.

I couldn't find answer to my question anywhere.

Does CultFilms version of Suspira has same colors like (new) Italian and German BR? I know that they are the same TLE transfer, but mine almost 30 years old VHS tape have colors looking more like Synapse than TLE :(
I wanted to do (finally) upgrade, but the diffrence I saw on cap o holics is HUGE!
I am faaaaaar away from being an expert on this, but this is what i THINK i know about it so far;
Yes, it seems to be the same restoration as the Italian/German one. In other words, the TLE restoration. And, as i understand it, it will be exactly the same pic quality as those releases - contrast, brightness, etc. I don't think there is anything that Cultfilms can do about that. The whole process was done with recreating what the movie was meant to look like, or looked like, in '77 ( i think). I have read nothing but praise regarding Synapse's restoration, and people who have seen the Synapse restoration and compared it to Cultfilms' seem to prefer the Synapse, as it appears that is is less dark, and contrast levels seem to be higher - maybe giving more clarity to the images on screen.
But the reviews i've read about the Cultfilms recent blu ray release give very high praise to their release as well. I personally think that if you compare the two then you WILL see a differance, but if not then both are of very high quality.
I for one am keeping my order of the Cultfilms release - Limited to 1000 units 4k metal futurepak, glossed, embossed, 3 discs, new and exclusive extras/special features, exclusive booklet...........yeah, DEFINITELY keeping my order.

Thank you for your answer! TLE looks for me far to green.
I would prefer Synpase steelbook cuz is colors are much closer to the version I remeber, also steelbook case looks better than OUR CultFilms FuturePack (which I bought), But i'm low on cash and I cant afford Region Free player specially for Region A Suspiria...

• Thanks
Reactions: Vegano
Thank you for your answer! TLE looks for me far to green.
I would prefer Synpase steelbook cuz is colors are much closer to the version I remeber, also steelbook case looks better than OUR CultFilms FuturePack (which I bought), But i'm low on cash and I cant afford Region Free player specially for Region A Suspiria...
Yeah, i don't have region free player either - if i did, i would have gone for Synapse's............as well as Cultfilms'. Well, probably. I haven't seen the Synapse steelie yet (will check it out later) but i think the Cultfilms art choice for the futurepak looks GREAT - and i think that, if they get this right with the quality finish, etc, then it will actually look superb. Really hoping for proper back and internal art, but the way things have panned out on the budget limitations front, will just have to wait....see.....hope......pray! There's a user review on Amazon regarding the Cultfilms dual format 4k blu ray + dvd that refers to the green colour pallette you mentioned. if you get a chance, check it out because i think it's a good review and rates the release highly.

Cultfilms IndieGoGo
Update 8

An update
We owe you an apology.

We incorrectly named the metal packaging where we’ll place the three discs (x1 UHD plus x2 Blu-rays) as a ’SteelBook’ and alternatively as a ’steelcase’.

We wish to apologise unreservedly if this has shown to be misleading. We can assure you that this was not intentional.

In the original pitch and perks descriptions, we intended to refer to a generic metal case and not a specific brand.

However, whilst we naturally looked at several ‘metal boxes’, we preferred the overall look and the ‘feel’ of (what is indeed) a ‘FuturePak’ ® box. We also liked the way it opens flat...

Like most things these are subjective appreciations, but many online comments mention how the FuturePak ® box ‘feels heavier, more robust’ - an impression we agree with when we handled samples: all in all FuturePak boxes

felt more like a unique object to us - and especially its 3D-embossed form which we are using to emphasise the newly commissioned artwork.

We searched far and wide for an artist and settled on Andy Fairhurst which has proved to have been the most rewarding decision! Andy’s new take on the Suspiria ballerina is simply stunning: we find it a fitting reboot for this new - and we trust definitive - edition of Suspiria.

We, ourselves, were also unhappy about the need to conceal this gorgeous artwork under a screen of CultFilms logos, we did it not to purposefully hide anything from our wonderful IndieGoGo backers, but because it was suggested as appropriate best-practice in order to protect the design (from being copied) before the manufacturing process started!

We shall soon release the artwork, front, back and inside of course as well as give you a precise description of the new, additional extras being produced exclusively for this release.. We were recently in Rome visiting Stefania Casini and others who participated in making Suspiria and we are now waiting on the availability of the last contributors whom we’ve lined up - some who’ve hardly ever talked before about their crucial involvement and impact on the look and sound of SUSPIRIA..!

We are though able to confirm a booklet with new insight from Dario’s friend - and THE Argento expert - Alan Jones.

Argento’s Suspiria is to induce fear at 400 degrees: the heat is rising!