Tangled (Lenticular) (2D+3D Blu-ray SteelBook) (Zavvi Exclusive) [UK]

snooloui

The 'Negative' Ninja
Premium Supporter
Feb 12, 2012
UK
Release date: March 6, 2017
Purchase link: Tangled (Pre-orders will be live from around 6pm UK time on Sunday February 19th)
Price: £22.99

11408850-4214458444230271.jpg

11408850-1474458449113896.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Completely pointless release. The whole idea behind a collectable is rarity and having to pay aftermarket prices for those people who missed its original price. Constant re-issues damages a market...

I cannot applaud this comment enough. This is the whole point of COLLECTIBLE. It's the very basis of what limited actually means. It's why releases sell out. It's why steelbooks rise in value after being sold out.

Bravo Psychoscot for understanding what many do not. :thumbs:

Considering the Zavvi original can be bought today for 35 - 40 quid and the Kimchi for 65 quid I'd say that this new one is a much better bet financially and if you're patient you may even be able to pick this one up for less than the pre-order price.
Of course, money not being an object "one click" on everything without a second thought.

Furthermore, I consider it objectionable that older collectors should think it fair that new collectors with limited funds should not be able to get on the first rung of the steelbook collecting ladder with more reasonably priced steelbooks.

Anyway, as we don't know how this will look in the flesh I'll be reserving my comments on how good/how bad this release is until I see live pics as what I wrote above - putting this at #3 - may be unfair.

Last edited:
Considering the Zavvi original can be bought today for 35 - 40 quid and the Kimchi for 65 quid I'd say that this new one is a much better bet financially and if you're patient you may even be able to pick this one up for less than the pre-order price.
Of course, money not being an object "one click" on everything without a second thought.

Finance doesn't come in to it. I collect original vinyl. Im not interested in re-issues of Pink Floyd albums I want the originals. ONLY originals matter. If people can't afford them thats ok and too bad, but constantly making new version just because people can't or won't buy the original eventually kills a market. Kimchi is the ONLY original version, the zavvi is just a re-issue, a nice one but still not the original. Collecting original steelbooks is international, not one single country gets them all. If people wish to buy from only one country thats fine but thats not a real collection. A real steel collection includes all the original versions from around the world, even if you have to pay £££ for them. Constant re-issues so people don't have to pay more than cost is just ridiculous, thats not a collectable.

Finance doesn't come in to it. I collect original vinyl. Im not interested in re-issues of Pink Floyd albums I want the originals. ONLY originals matter. If people can't afford them thats ok and too bad, but constantly making new version just because people can't or won't buy the original eventually kills a market. Kimchi is the ONLY original version, the zavvi is just a re-issue, a nice one but still not the original. Collecting original steelbooks is international, not one single country gets them all. If people wish to buy from only one country thats fine but thats not a real collection. A real steel collection includes all the original versions from around the world, even if you have to pay £££ for them. Constant re-issues so people don't have to pay more than cost is just ridiculous, thats not a collectable.
Fair point. This may depend on the individual, their budget and their reasons for buying movies or Steelbooks, too. Someone who missed the 1st release and is not "collecting" per say, but wants a Steelbook of Tangled may opt for the 2nd, third or fourth release. I think all retailers need to stay conscious of what they release, but for some people whether it's the 1st, or 8th doesn't matter, especially if they have a budget or are new to the hobby.

Appreciate your comments and your POV but unfortunately we'll just have to disagree on what is and is not a collectable.

The other point that needs to be taken into account is that some re-releases are better steelbooks than the originals.

Last edited:
Fair point. This may depend on the individual, their budget and their reasons for buying movies or Steelbooks, too. Someone who missed the 1st release and is not "collecting" per say, but wants a Steelbook of Tangled may opt for the 2nd, third or fourth release. I think all retailers need to stay conscious of what they release, but for some people whether it's the 1st, or 8th doesn't matter, especially if they have a budget or are new to the hobby.

I do agree to some extent DB, but even I didn't come into collecting seriously till 2013. I managed to pick up the odd one here and there just because I wanted the film on pre-order like Star Trek, Pulp Fiction etc and I've been lucky enough as a Marvel fan to spot the first wave on original release and pick them up, but I've then spent time and effort either by sellers on here or auctions on eBay getting films on steelbook based on first editions that have long sold out. That to me is what collecting is, the challenge and joy of tracking a rarity for a fair "and maybe not always fair" price. I could have just sat and waited for re-issues but a re-issue to me isn't collectable, the rare editions and originals are for me the collectable. This edition is nice, but pointless. Skipping 2 new releases price wise by Zavvi or Amazon would see a collector easily afford the original which is a stunning steelbook.

• Thanks
Reactions: SteelbookGenius666
I do agree to some extent DB, but even I didn't come into collecting seriously till 2013. I managed to pick up the odd one here and there just because I wanted the film on pre-order like Star Trek, Pulp Fiction etc and I've been lucky enough as a Marvel fan to spot the first wave on original release and pick them up, but I've then spent time and effort either by sellers on here or auctions on eBay getting films on steelbook based on first editions that have long sold out. That to me is what collecting is, the challenge and joy of tracking a rarity for a fair "and maybe not always fair" price. I could have just sat and waited for re-issues but a re-issue to me isn't collectable, the rare editions and originals are for me the collectable. This edition is nice, but pointless. Skipping 2 new releases price wise by Zavvi or Amazon would see a collector easily afford the original which is a stunning steelbook.
Yup, totally makes sense-"value" and what a "collection" is, is different for everyone, depending on their perspective. Glad you were able to snag decent deals on items you wanted! :thumbs:

Resale value and been first original I know is important to some collectors but the fact remains steelbooks are now in many ways mainstream and is why there has been lot of steelbook releases in past few years as in new releases and back catalogue some been re releases of popular films that had a previous steelbook release

Lot of steelbook back catalogue releases would not have happened if customers demand was not there
You get new collectors every day new to steelbooks and that adds more customers to sell to and lot of these will have missed out on a previous release
Re-releases is nothing new with films and music its where most film and music distributors get their business from as without back catalogue sales they be out of business

It don't affect a previous collector if a film or a music album gets a re release you still have your original and keeps the industry in bussiness to provide a new release you not yet got.

Music and Films business is mostly the back catalogue as good sellers are repeat business

• Thanks
Can I pay £16 instead?

Honestly didn't find the first one when I searched ebay, the other two I seen before and the middle doesn't ship to my country

1/4 slips are not sought after anymore... the time of 1/4 slips is (almost) over.

True. I am not against these releases as I have them but my point is despite being premium, their performance in the secondary marketplace have been dismal. So to me, these are NOT premium products any longer.

There were times when collectors used to go nuts for Taiwan releases but look at them now.

• Thanks
Reactions: harry
Price showing at the moment on website £24.99

Most likely will end up showing £22.99 on Sunday or a few days later

It took Zavvi 3 days after going live to correct the price for Wreck-it Ralph to £22.99

Appreciate your comments and your POV but unfortunately we'll just have to disagree on what is and is not a collectable.

The other point that needs to be taken into account is that some re-releases are better steelbooks than the originals.

Shouldn't the original release be as good as it can be? Given the premium treatment straight off the bat?
All I can see is a situation arising where the initial steal gets a half-arsed release because the distributor will simply plan a "better" one for 18 months/2yrs down the line.

• Thanks