Jun 30, 2014
Alexandria Safe-Zone
Release date: December 4, 2017
Purchase link: Zavvi
Price: £24.99

11515044-1284500093120690.jpg

11515044-1094500093176202.jpg11515044-1454500093245247.jpg

Extras:
  • NEW – T2: Reprogramming The Terminator documentary (including exclusive interviews with Arnold Schwarzenegger, James Cameron, Edward Furlong and many more)
  • 2 feature Commentaries; 23 members of Cast & Crew (1993)/ director James Cameron & co-author William Wisher
  • The making of T2 –1993
  • Seamless Branching of the Theatrical cut, Director’s Cut and Special extended edition
  • 2 Deleted Scenes with audio commentary
  • Trailers – NEW T2:3D trailer (2017) T2 theatrical trailer ‘This time there are two’/ ‘Same make new mission’/ Building the perfect Arnold

Last edited by a moderator:
View attachment 339892 View attachment 339893 View attachment 339895 View attachment 339896

I'm not an expert but I don't know if either disc is 4K since there isn't a 4K UHD disc in there.

Just a remastered Blu-ray and a remastered 3D disc.
Like I said I don't know anything about 4K, 3D or remastered in 4K.
There is even a remastered DVD.

But I thought that's why they released a remastered 4K amaray.

As long as the picture quality is considerably sharper than my Kimchi steelbook version I'm happy.

According to Samsung senior management they have had record numbers of people asking for 3D and have seen a huge drop in 4K sales, LG, Sony, and Panasonic all the same. This is the last year of 4K it's finished with less adopters than Laserdisc or 3D, it's a dead format no one cares about.

Hey... this is good to read as I have no real reason to upgrade to 4K just yet. I am sad that the companies dropped 3D from most if not all of their TV models this last year, but if it's true what they are saying regarding the sales, OK. Is there a link for which this statement was made anywhere as I wish to see it. Cheers. ;)

I agree completely. blu-steel is almost always dead on but to say this is as big a jump from DVD to Blu-ray is a bold statement. I've seen quite a few 4K titles now in a number of different setups. I have a friend who has the same Samsung 60 inch you own or very similar. I have a friend with a 4K projector as well. You really need a 70 inch or bigger screen to really see anything truly noticeable in my opinion. You need to sit very close because we compared watching GOTG 2 and Goodfellas. Goodfellas you could tell the colors had just slighty more pop but it wasn't anything special. And GOTG 2 you had to sit 6 feet or closer to notice what I thought were minimal differences and I would never have chosen to sit that close to the 70 inch screen. At 10-12 feet which was where we were sitting you could not tell any real difference. This was about 3 weeks ago.
We did this based on an article which could be right or wrong I almost never take anything I read as gospel so we did this test. But in the article it said if you didn't sit at minimum 7 feet or closer to your TV the human eye cannot tell the difference between 4K and 1080P. I wish I could remember where that was from but I can't, my buddy found it. The article was using a 65 inch 4K TV as its basis. Also 4K will certainly not sell like Blu-ray did in it's first say 3 years (and beyond) it is way behind where Blu-ray was in this same time, about the 1 year mark for 4K players and Titles. The initial rollout for 4K TVs 2-3 years ago up to now has been a disaster. The last 12 months have been better but initial sales in the beginning of 4K sets that didn't have HDMI 2.2 was a disaster. They were selling hardware they knew would never work with refresh rates that were not up to spec. Those poor suckers, yikes. Most people are more than happy with 720p HD broadcast TV and 1080P Blu-ray movies and 720p-1080p streaming services.

I thought so too. That's why I have been wondering why the industry even started with 4K dics instead of bringing 3D to the next level (more natural interfaces, or even without glasses).
That would at least have been a true revolution and new experience for the living room, and not "only" to see the same 2d image a bit sharper...

Reactions: moviemania1973
I don't think this has much to do with the Terminator 2 3D steelbook release.

We don't know how lucky we are. Remember VHS?

As I don't have a 4k TV and would only buy an OLED, and as I'm not about to buy movies again, for the 4th or 5th time (VHS, laserdisc, dvd, blu ray, and now 4k), and as I DO like 3D - which 4K doesn't support, I'm thinking, I can do something far more exciting and memorable with that 4K upgrade money.

December 4th is UK release date for all formats
Zavvi have updated the steelbook listing on their website with release date December 4th

Other retailers have yet to update their websites to the new release date

Zavvi now have release date for the Endo Arm Edition
Release Date: 26 March 2018 :rofl::LOL:

Not sure if this correct but studiocanal don't mention the Endo Arm edition in the tweet in regards release date 4th December
It's possible there is a delay of the Endo Arm till next year

Release date in UK is 4th December for 4K UHD and 3D/2D and DVD releases but looks like not so for the Endo Arm

The french version is delayed as well(my mail from amazon fr) :(
"Terminator 2 - Edition Limitée Blu-Ray 3D/2D- Steelbook"
Date d'arrivée prévue : 08 décembre 2017 - 09 décembre 2017

It's worth hanging on to your previous T2 Blu-ray because reportedly this new restoration has been doused in DNR leading to a soft, non-filmic looking image due to the post 3D conversion. :cry:

attachment.php

(with special thanks to chuffster on Blu-ray.com for sharing)

Reactions: steelmybeatingheart
It's worth hanging on to your previous T2 Blu-ray because reportedly this new restoration has been doused in DNR leading to a soft, non-filmic looking image due to the post 3D conversion. :cry:

attachment.php

(with special thanks to chuffster on Blu-ray.com for sharing)

A couple of questions:

I don't know which transfer was used for the 2015 Zavvi steelbook. Was it remastered for that release or is it the same as the original blu-ray disc (released in 2008 I believe).

Is this forthcoming release a new remaster that has been doused in DNR affecting the 2D version?

A couple of questions:

I don't know which transfer was used for the 2015 Zavvi steelbook. Was it remastered for that release or is it the same as the original blu-ray disc (released in 2008 I believe).

Is this forthcoming release a new remaster that has been doused in DNR affecting the 2D version?

The 2015 disc i’m not sure. T2 was released on a new BD when Genyshit which featured a better transfer than the previously released Skynet Edition.

This new version was a brand new 4K restoration AND 3D conversion however, it appears that the non-3D version is taken from the 3D master and just flattened (meaning it retains the DNR which is common with 3D conversions of older films)

• Helpful Post
Reactions: kipper15
A couple of questions:

The 2015 Zavvi release is the Skynet edition from 2009 not the original release. From what it looks like the whole remaster is affected with DNR which means the BD will have it too, I assume from that article.

The 2015 disc i’m not sure. T2 was released on a new BD when Genyshit which featured a better transfer than the previously released Skynet Edition.

This new version was a brand new 4K restoration AND 3D conversion however, it appears that the non-3D version is taken from the 3D master and just flattened (meaning it retains the DNR which is common with 3D conversions of older films)

OK so I looked up the Skynet Edition, looks like it was released in 2009.

2015 - upgraded blu-ray release to tie in with Genysis...but we're not sure if the Zavvi steelbook had the new and improved master. Would make sense if they used the 2015 transfer not the 2009 one.

Forthcoming release....could it have been delayed because they want to fix this problem? The monster thread over on blu-ray.com suggests this might be why it's been held up, although I must confess I've not read all 100 pages of it!

Surely James Cameron wouldn't want to have this put out in inferior quality to the last version? Why not take the 2D/2K version from the 4K conversion vs. the 3D master?

Last edited:
The 2015 Zavvi release is the Skynet edition from 2009 not the original release. From what it looks like the whole remaster is affected with DNR which means the BD will have it too, I assume from that article.

OK...so now I'm confused!

When was the first release on blu-ray? According to Wikipedia, 2006. And according to Wikipedia it was washed out. So in other words, sh!te.

Then Skynet version in 2009. And this 2017 release is the first new master since then, is that right? What about the 2015 re-release (standard blu-ray) and first Zavvi steelbook? Are they both the 2009 transfer?

OK...so now I'm confused!

When was the first release on blu-ray? According to Wikipedia, 2006. And according to Wikipedia it was washed out. So in other words, sh!te.

Then Skynet version in 2009. And this 2017 release is the first new master since then, is that right? What about the 2015 re-release (standard blu-ray) and first Zavvi steelbook? Are they both the 2009 transfer?

It was first released in 2006 in the US, which is the version you're describing from Wiki. ;)

Yes that's right, this 2017 release is the new one. And yes to your second question, both the same. The best T2 Blu-ray so far is the region A locked 2015 Lionsgate release or the first UK release from 2008. You can compare them here.
http://caps-a-holic.com/c_list.php?c=262

• Helpful Post