DigiPack Criterion 1995-2013
3 Movies
291 min
Resolution: 1080p
Aspect ratio: 1.85:1
Director
: Richard Linklater
Writers: Richard Linklater, Kim Krizan, Julie Delpy, Ethan Hawke
Starring: Ethan Hawke, Julie Delpy, Hanno Pöschl, Vernon Dobtcheff, Seamus Davey-Fitzpatrick

The cornerstone of the career-long exploration of cinematic time by director Richard Linklater, this celebrated three-part romance captures a relationship as it begins, begins again, deepens, strains, and settles over the course of almost two decades. Chronicling the love of Celine (Julie Delpy) and Jesse (Ethan Hawke), from their first meeting as idealistic twentysomethings to the disillusionment they face together in middle age, The Before Trilogy also serves as a document of a boundary-pushing and extraordinarily intimate collaboration between director and actors, as Delpy and Hawke, who cowrote two of the films, imbue their characters with a sense of raw, lived-in experience, and as they age on-screen along with them. Attuned to the sweeping grandeur of time’s passage as well as the evanescence of individual moments, the Before films chart the progress of romantic destiny as it navigates the vicissitudes of ordinary life.
IMG_3190.JPG

Collector’s Set Includes

BEFORE SUNRISE
IMG_3187.JPG

Richard Linklater 1995
An exquisitely understated ode to the thrill of romantic possibility, the inaugural installment of The Before Trilogy follows a chance encounter between two solitary young strangers.

BEFORE SUNSET
IMG_3188.JPG

Richard Linklater 2004
Impelled by an urgent sense of the transience of human connection, Before Sunset remains Linklater’s most seductive experiment with time’s inexorable passage and the way love can seem to stop it in its tracks.

BEFORE MIDNIGHT
IMG_3189.JPG

Richard Linklater 2013
The bittersweet conclusion of The Before Trilogy grapples with the complexities of long-term intimacy, and asks what becomes of love when it no longer has recourse to past illusions.

IMG_3192.GIF

• New, restored 2K digital transfers of Before Sunrise and Before Sunset and a 2K digital master of Before Midnight, approved by director Richard Linklater, with 2.0 surround DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack on the Before Sunrise Blu-ray and 5.1 surround DTS-HD Master Audio soundtracks on the Before Sunset and Before Midnight Blu-rays
  • New discussion featuring Linklater and actors Julie Delpy and Ethan Hawke, moderated by critic Kent Jones
  • Behind-the-scenes footage and interviews from the productions of Before Sunrise and Before Sunset
  • Audio commentary on Before Midnight by Delpy, Linklater, and Hawke
  • Dream Is Destiny, a 2016 feature-length documentary about Linklater by Louis Black and Karen Bernstein
  • New documentary about the making of Before Midnight in Greece by filmmaker Athina Rachel Tsangari
  • 3×2, a new conversation between scholars Dave Johnson and Rob Stone about Linklater’s work
  • Linklater // On Cinema & Time, a video essay by filmmaker :: kogonada
  • PLUS: An essay on the trilogy by critic Dennis Lim

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm super excited for this! Long rumored and now finally officially announced.
I only own them on DVD. This will be an awesome upgrade to Criterion :woot::woot::woot:

CC has to try very-very hard to top this release next year.
There are literally no words to describe my expectations regarding this release.
I was waiting for it since the release of Boyhood, when the first whistle-blowers reached out to me.

• Thanks
Reactions: Lutzo and dan8885
First things first. The movies, the art, and the fact that CC released them as a package are beyond my dreams...
BUT. Why did they include the booklet within the first movie's case again, and not just part of the package next to the three cases?
When the Three Colours Trilogy was released, they got it right, but then they switched to this new concept for the Qatsi Trilogy and Apu Trilogy...

• Thanks
Reactions: dan8885