The Crow (Blu-ray SteelBook) (Zavvi Exclusive) [UK]

Nov 5, 2012
Newark, Nottinghamshire
Release date: May 18, 2015
Purchase link: The Crow
Price: £16.99
Notes: Limited to 2500 Copies. Gloss Finish.

crow.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
There's a lot to go through:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Entertainment_Film_Distributors

Only a couple of steels jump out at me. Se7en (Canada, UK and Japan), Blade Trinity (Canada and Germany), Scream 4 (Germany) and of course, the LOTR trilogy. A fair few others on there.

I thought a lot of those titles you mention are WARNER releases????

Se7en was definitely part of the cheap Warner Premium Collection in the UK.

Don't remember a Canadian Blade Trinity either. Thought it was a German exclusive?????

I thought a lot of those titles you mention are WARNER releases????

Se7en was definitely part of the cheap Warner Premium Collection in the UK.

Don't remember a Canadian Blade Trinity either. Thought it was a German exclusive?????
They're listed on the EIV Wiki page. What do you want from me? To go through every single film there and double check their distributor?

Yeah, probably. What about the Canadian/US release? That had different art entirely. And the German one was different again.

My mistake, the first Blade got a Canadian release but the other 2 didn't.

Reactions: justhedudeman
They're listed on the EIV Wiki page. What do you want from me? To go through every single film there and double check their distributor?

Yeah, probably. What about the Canadian/US release? That had different art entirely. And the German one was different again.

My mistake, the first Blade got a Canadian release but the other 2 didn't.
Umm......well, I don't want anything from you?

I thought someone who knew what they were talking about would be able to shed some light on the subject.

There's no point posting false or inaccurate information for the sake of it??

I'm being serious.

Most remakes pale in comparison to the originals, Halloween, A Nightmare on Elm Street and The Omen (sticking with the horror theme). Some are purely diabolical, Psycho and The Wicker Man. Some are okay, The Wolfman, Friday the 13th and The Texas Chainsaw Massacre. Then there are those that surpass the original like The Thing and Invasion of the Body Snatchers.

But as bad (and it really was bad) as the Nicolas Cage version of The Wicker Man was, in the UK we got a magnificent 3-disc version of Robin Hardy's classic on DVD. Thanks to The Wolfman, we got the US Legacy Edition of the Lon Chaney version and so on.

Besides, I'm not one of those who thinks that bad remakes devalue the originals. I love Psycho, The Wicker Man, Halloween, Planet of the Apes and The Evil Dead, but in no way does knowing (and indeed, seeing) later versions spoil my enjoyment of them, any more than Jaws: The Revenge, AvP2, Beverly Hills Cop III or The Howling VII ruin my enjoyment of the first parts of their franchises.

And, on-topic, The Crow is a great film. City of Angels, Salvation and Wicked Prayer were not.
You thew out two example that have more than one remake!
If you meant THE THING 1982 is better than the 1951- well, maybe (probably), but so hard to compare those eras so far apart.
THE THING 2011 better than either of those- PLEASE....;)
INVASION OF THE BODY SNATCHERS 1978 was just as effective as the original 1956 and really pushed the paranoia level up a notch. Abel Ferrarra's BODY SNATCHERS (1993), and Oliver Hirschbiegel's THE INVASION (2007) remakes were straight up dog poo.:p
And I agree that remakes don't 'erase' the originals- but unfortunately, when these flicks get programmed on whatever channels in the future, they will most likely go with the remake and not the original (which is really sad- cuz that means that Sam Raimi kinda inadvertently screwed his own movie getting more views).
I'm of the ilk that believes you should remake films that were 50%-75% there (good ideas) and just couldn't land it, or had a bad script, or not enough money, etc. (For me examples would be: EVENT HORIZON, SPAWN, HELLRAISER II (<------using your horror movies theme)).:D

Umm......well, I don't want anything from you?

I thought someone who knew what they were talking about would be able to shed some light on the subject.

There's no point posting false or inaccurate information for the sake of it??
-Other user asks what steels EIV have released
-I Google "EIV Wiki"
-List of EIV releases comes up
-I hand pick a few random titles that I know have received steelbook releases
-I post here (BIG mistake)

Y'know what? **** it. I haven't got the patience for this bullshit today. Excuse me for trying to be helpful instead of just nitpicking.

If you meant THE THING 1982 is better than the 1951- well, maybe (probably), but so hard to compare those eras so far apart.
INVASION OF THE BODY SNATCHERS 1978 was just as effective as the original 1956 and really pushed the paranoia level up a notch. Abel Ferrarra's BODY SNATCHERS (1993), and Oliver Hirschbiegel's THE INVASION (2007) remakes were straight up dog poo.:p
And I agree that remakes don't 'erase' the originals- but unfortunately, when these flicks get programmed on whatever channels in the future, they will most likely go with the remake and not the original (which is really sad- cuz that means that Sam Raimi kinda inadvertently screwed his own movie getting more views).
I'm of the ilk that believes you should remake films that were 50%-75% there (good ideas) and just couldn't land it, or had a bad script, or not enough money, etc. (For me examples would be: EVENT HORIZON, SPAWN, HELLRAISER II (<------using your horror movies theme)).:D
The Thing 2011 is NOT a remake it's a prequel. It even ends right where the 1982 movie begins?????

-Other user asks what steels EIV have released
-I Google "EIV Wiki"
-List of EIV releases comes up
-I hand pick a few random titles that I know have received steelbook releases
-I post here (BIG mistake)

Y'know what? **** it. I haven't got the patience for this bullshit today. Excuse me for trying to be helpful instead of just nitpicking.
Oh for Gods sake. Seriously??

Grow up.

And it was ME that asked.

Buckle up fellas, EiV's Steelbook debut even is coming in 2015. From the masters of dodgy disc transfers comes a streaky bacon like matte finish equipped with a sky blue blu-banner, text ahoy, printed back me maties and the pearly white void of nothingness for inside artwork. Also comes in stickerbook format.

Now, I just hope they do the opposite of this :rofl::rofl:

I just wanted to know what other Steelbooks EIV have released (if any) and it escalated.

It's still related to The Crow Steelbook.

Hope this helps. There have, to date, been no Steelbook releases in the UK from EiV.

In brief, EiV have been the UK distributor for a number of releases from various International Studios.

New Line in the US, although part of the Time Warner Group, kept its own identity until 2008 when it formally merged with its parent company, Warner Bros. New Line titles were distributed in the UK by EiV but since 2010 they have reverted to Warner. This is why the UK Steelbooks of titles such as "The Lord of the Rings" and "Se7en" were released by Warner, even though previous home video incarnations had been by EiV. The New Line titles are, therefore, irrelevant to this discussion. In Canada, New Line titles had been distributed by Alliance so the Canadian Steelbooks are also irrelevant.

As regards the four titles from the EiV catalogue being released in the Steelbook format by Zavvi, ie "The Crow", "Gangs of New York", "American Psycho" and "The Departed". It depends very much on whether EiV have retained the UK distribution rights to them.

"The Crow" and "Gangs of New York" are Miramax titles. Since 2011 Miramax releases have been distributed in the US by Lionsgate and in Europe by Studio Canal. Both titles have been subsequently released in the US by Lionsgate. It's possible, therefore, that these two titles have reverted to Miramax and will, therefore, be released here by Studio Canal, especially given Zavvi's long standing relationship with that company in respect of its Steelbook releases.

As regards "American Psycho" and "The Departed", the issue is not so clear cut. Internationally, the former title is a Lionsgate release whilst the latter title is a Warner release. Whether that will extend to the new Steelbook releases is anyone's guess.

Will probably order for my nephew as his taste in films is rapidly approaching adulthood-me,personally I already have the German steel and the transfer isn't that great in places...

I was indeed referring to The Thing (1982) as being superior to The Thing From Another World (1951). Certainly not The Thing (2011) which is a prequel, no matter how similar it is to the '82 version. And yes, I also meant Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1978), and not Body Snatchers or The Invasion.

You can compare films from different eras and did so in my original post. I'm not comparing how good the films are by today's standards, but by those at the time. Even if I was, on many occasions, the original is still better. Psycho (1960) is better in every way to Psycho (1998) for example.

Returning to The Crow, I don't think it'll be released by EiV. I really can't see them getting into the steelbook game, and, as others have said, many of their titles are now owned by other companies. Lionsgate or StudioCanal seem the most likely to me, what with Sin City (another Miramax title) going through Lionsgate and There Will be Blood (also Miramax) released through StudioCanal.

If I had to guess, I'd say Lionsgate.

Edited to add: wasn't The Crow technically Dimension Films (like Sin City) rather than straight-up Miramax (like There Will be Blood)? That might add credibility to the Lionsgate theory.

Last edited:
I was indeed referring to The Thing (1982) as being superior to The Thing From Another World (1951). Certainly not The Thing (2011) which is a prequel, no matter how similar it is to the '82 version. And yes, I also meant Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1978), and not Body Snatchers or The Invasion.

You can compare films from different eras and did so in my original post. I'm not comparing how good the films are by today's standards, but by those at the time. Even if I was, on many occasions, the original is still better. Psycho (1960) is better in every way to Psycho (1998) for example.

Returning to The Crow, I don't think it'll be released by EiV. I really can't see them getting into the steelbook game, and, as others have said, many of their titles are now owned by other companies. Lionsgate or StudioCanal seem the most likely to me, what with Sin City (another Miramax title) going through Lionsgate and There Will be Blood (also Miramax) released through StudioCanal.

If I had to guess, I'd say Lionsgate.
I'll hope for the best!:rolleyes: But, despite other opinions, I like the German steel! I prefer that imagery to the U.S. poster art. But, I do have to admit that, for whatever reason, in the last few years we have been getting steelbooks of movies that are SWIMMING in amazing imagery (LEGEND) or have Iconic one-sheets (THE THING '82) and they just BLOW IT! I think it should be a law that any steelbook of a movie with a one-sheet by Drew Struzan, Bob Peak, & John Alvin HAS to use that art! (They can mess with back art if they have to...). The 'Iconic Art' series, 'Pop Art' series and the like, are awful and scream laziness. If they are going to be lazy, just do the laziest thing possible and use the original art! Growing up, Cronenberg's THE FLY one-sheet was totally a classic. I simply cannot buy that monstrosity of a steelbook with a fly with Goldblum's face for eyes! Ug!
I'm not against new art if it respects the material, and if it replaces a poorly done original one-sheet that was a photoshop teal/blue floating head affair.
I hope they get it right! image.jpg

I agree with you completely regarding poster art.

So many classic movies had amazing posters that could have been used. The recent WB range did it right with Gone With the Wind, The Maltese Falcon and The Jazz Singer for example. For some reason though, WB decided to mess up the Batman collection by using the 'Blade' font, the grittier versions of the Batsymbol and (for some reason) the poster on Batman Forever!

The worst offender must be Fox...

Star Wars, Legend, The Day the Earth Stood Still, The Rocky Horror Picture Show, The Fly (both versions), Speed and so on and so on.

Then there's ones where there's no consistency...

X-Men - theatrical poster
X-2 - US DVD cover
X-Men: The Last Stand - newer DVD cover (with Wolverine glowing for some reason)

All I want is the poster art for The Crow. Brandon Lee in the column of light design, and certainly not the fire covered design the current Blu-ray (and VHS) use.

Buckle up fellas, EiV's Steelbook debut even is coming in 2015. From the masters of dodgy disc transfers comes a streaky bacon like matte finish equipped with a sky blue blu-banner, text ahoy, printed back me maties and the pearly white void of nothingness for inside artwork. Also comes in stickerbook format.

Now, I just hope they do the opposite of this :rofl::rofl:

maybe they will rival plain archive