• A) Better than before

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Paperinukke

Studio Ghibli Ninja
Premium Supporter
Apr 13, 2014
Finland
What do you guys think? Are we still getting the same quality films as before or has the modern horror developed to be too dependent on cheap jumpscares and other gimmicks? Or do filmmakers actually make better horror movies than ever before? Discuss! :)

• Helpful Post
Reactions: Asopp and Ricker
Okay, when the movie wants to be a satire what happened to the horror!? With all the laughter they missed it then. It didn't gave me laughter and it didn't scared me.
It is an awful mix of Evil Dead and the Truman Show and it is not so ingenious as it wants to be.

And yes, of course these movies are still being made, thats why I said not all. But most of em. The little gems like "It Follows" got it but they don't get
a spotlight. You need to see 10-20 horror movies till you found one what will stay with you. I don't want to hate, I'm just bored with what is popular in this genre.

Maybe the humor was lost in translation? I thought it was hilarious. The movie doesn't want to be a satire, it is a satire. The meta nature of the story practically exists to allow for the playing with tropes of all types of horror films. And the idea that a horror film has to be scary to be good is ridiculous. When you're a horror fan you watch so many horror films you're no longer scared by them so you have to judge them by other criteria, like a smart script, cinematography, atmosphere, acting, directing, score, etc. The concept alone elevates the film above the vast majority of modern horror films. Your reaction is common from so many people experiencing "Hype Backlash". The best way to see a film is cold, not reading too many reviews/hype.

I think you should avoid seeing the most popular horror films? The best ones are usually independent, while the ones that make the most money tend to be found footage crap or PG-13 ghost stories like Ouija.

• Helpful Post
Reactions: dan8885
Maybe the humor was lost in translation? I thought it was hilarious. The movie doesn't want to be a satire, it is a satire. The meta nature of the story practically exists to allow for the playing with tropes of all types of horror films. And the idea that a horror film has to be scary to be good is ridiculous. When you're a horror fan you watch so many horror films you're no longer scared by them so you have to judge them by other criteria, like a smart script, cinematography, atmosphere, acting, directing, score, etc. The concept alone elevates the film above the vast majority of modern horror films. Your reaction is common from so many people experiencing "Hype Backlash". The best way to see a film is cold, not reading too many reviews/hype.

I think you should avoid seeing the most popular horror films? The best ones are usually independent, while the ones that make the most money tend to be found footage crap or PG-13 ghost stories like Ouija.

Good points. Maybe I got it wrong then.
But even after watching a lot horror flicks I still want to be scared. A horror flick should give me a creepy feeling. "It Follows" is not scary but the whole movie I was creeped because of the atmosphere. This is what I expect besides the criteria you listed. I don't know what Hype Backlash is but I never read a lot about the movie, never read reviews and rarely watch the trailers. I watch them "very cold" most of the time.
And yes I avoid all popular horror and the independent ones are rare. There was a few good ones, a lot from Europe, but most what I saw didn't last impression.

Reactions: lolwut
Chose worse too. These days it's all about jump scares mostly and remakes.
Not much original content esp from the US. We still getting some good titles from countries such as Spain.

Have to agree, seems there are some interesting ones coming from other countries. I hope we do see some nicer treatments of classic horror as far as limited eds. But yeah, the recycling is getting old...

I can't wait to see The Witch and Goodnight Mommy.

Good points. Maybe I got it wrong then.
But even after watching a lot horror flicks I still want to be scared. A horror flick should give me a creepy feeling. "It Follows" is not scary but the whole movie I was creeped because of the atmosphere. This is what I expect besides the criteria you listed. I don't know what Hype Backlash is but I never read a lot about the movie, never read reviews and rarely watch the trailers. I watch them "very cold" most of the time.
And yes I avoid all popular horror and the independent ones are rare. There was a few good ones, a lot from Europe, but most what I saw didn't last impression.

:thumbs:

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/HypeBacklash

• Helpful Post
Reactions: dan8885