The Dark Tower - In theaters August 4, 2017

[CONTAINER][MOVIE1]Title: The Dark Tower (2017)

Genre: [GENRE]Western[/GENRE], [GENRE]Science Fiction[/GENRE], [GENRE]Fantasy[/GENRE], [GENRE]Horror[/GENRE]

Director: [DIRECTOR]Nikolaj Arcel[/DIRECTOR]

Cast: [ACTOR]Abbey Lee[/ACTOR], [ACTOR]Matthew McConaughey[/ACTOR], [ACTOR]Idris Elba[/ACTOR]

Plot: Gunslinger Roland Deschain roams an Old West-like landscape in search of a dark tower, in the hopes that reaching it will preserve his dying world.[/MOVIE1][POSTER1]
i9GUSgddIqrroubiLsvvMRYyRy0.jpg
[/POSTER1][/CONTAINER]

Last edited by a moderator:
I have bad feelings about this. I love the idea of how they're structuring it, but Howard and Akiva? Meh. I would have loved for the entire crew from "The Carnivale" (writers, director's, producers, etc) to come on board and helm this. The atmosphere of that show would be perfect for this, I think.

http://www.deadline.com/2010/09/uni...nted-featurenetwork-tv-adaptation/#more-65742

EXCLUSIVE: Universal Pictures and NBC Universal Television Entertainment have closed a deal to turn Stephen King’s mammoth novel series The Dark Tower into a feature film trilogy and a network TV series, both of which will be creatively steered by the Oscar-winning team behind A Beautiful Mind and The Da Vinci Code.

Ron Howard has committed to direct the initial feature film, as well as the first season of the TV series that will follow in close proximity. Akiva Goldsman will write the film, and the first season of the TV series. Howard’s Imagine Entertainment partner Brian Grazer will produce, with Goldsman and the author.

When Deadline revealed in April that Howard, Goldman and Grazer planned to team with King, Universal was battling Warner Bros—home of Goldsman’s Weed Road--for the property. The multi-platform deal was so comprehensive, it took months to close. It will be announced later today by Universal Pictures chairman Adam Fogelson, co-chairman Donna Langley, NBC Universal Television Entertainment chairman Jeff Gaspin, and NBC & Universal Media Studios Primetime Entertainment president Angela Bromstad, all of whom pulled it together.

The plan is to start with the feature film, and then create a bridge to the second feature with a season of TV episodes. That means the feature cast—and the big star who’ll play Deschain—also has to appear in the TV series before returning to the second film. After that sequel is done, the TV series picks up again, this time focusing on Deschain as a young gunslinger. Those storylines will be informed by a prequel comic book series that King was heavily involved in plotting. The third film would pick up the mature Deshain as he completes his journey. They will benefit from being able to use the same sets cast and crew for the movie and TV, which could help contain costs on what will be a financially ambitious undertaking.

Interview with Stephen King about the Dark Tower Series and who should star:

With news that Stephen King’s enormously popular book series The Dark Tower will be coming to a big and small screen near you, we here at EW.com could not stop ourselves from reaching out to the bestselling author (and EW columnist) via email to get a few more answers about the highly-anticipated project. Here’s what he had to say:

The Dark Tower is such a dense series — did you always think it needed more than a single movie or TV show treatment?

I always thought it would take more than a single movie, but I didn’t see this solution coming — i.e., several movies and TV series. It was Ron [Howard] and Akiva [Goldsman]‘s idea. Once it was raised, I thought at once it was the solution.

What about Ron Howard and NBC makes them a good fit for the franchise?

When working as a director, Ron is very similar to the way I work as a writer. We both tell honest stories that have (I flatter myself) style and substance but not a lot of show-offy frills.

In a perfect world, who would play Roland? Eddie? Susannah? Jake?

The Twilight cast, of course! Just kidding. I haven’t got as far as casting in my thoughts, but when I write about Susannah Dean, I always kind of see Angela Bassett in my mind’s eye. Mostly I just want good people in those parts. Ron Howard will find them, I’m sure.

And who would you want to play?

I’d love to be the voice of Blaine the Mono.

There’s a lot of blood in the series — how much is the TV series going to be censored? It likely would have been easier to join forces with a network without restrictions, à la HBO, no?

I don’t see that as a problem at all! We’ll have just enough latitude to make a great series. I’ve worked in network TV before, and every time I was squeezed a little, it just made me look for creative solutions. Besides, I always like to play in the biggest auditorium available!

I read about this earlier and thought it was a cool idea. Hopefully they don't want to turn it into some teenage pop thing in order to get ratings. Then I'll be a happy camper.

"A film version of Stephen King’s apocalyptic saga was originally set for release on Feb. 17, but now will shift to the summer of 2017"

Will update, when date is officially released.

Trailer looks decent. I didn't realize that there was a new director. I thought Ron Howard was still attached. Still looks like it should be a fun ride.

That Gunslinger poster looks weird, though. Is it just me or does it look like he's bowing?

It says you posted it at 4:25 AM... ummmm YEAH i was still sleeping. Questions is, Why were YOU up!? haha

Trailer looks awesome.
I've never read the books but I might have to now.
LOL! :D I'm up everyday at 4am. My shift at work starts 5am :thumbs:

• Thanks
Reactions: tridon