The Disney Collection (Blu-ray SteelBooks) (Zavvi Exclusives) [UK]

digitalbabe

Premium Supporter
Apr 12, 2009
USA
This thread is for the titles that have been released to date.

For a poll to share your thoughts on future releases (2015 and on) , please click here

Limited edition are limited to 4K-5K (except for The Jungle Book/Little Mermaid).

The Disney Collection link

Listing:
#35: Treasure Planet (February 8, 2016) - Buy
#??: The Princess and the Frog (October 12, 2015) - Buy
#34: Brother Bear (June 22nd, 2015) - Buy
#33: The Sword in the Stone (June 15th, 2015) - Buy
#32: The Emperor's New Groove (June 15th, 2015) - Buy
#31: Big Hero 6 (May 25th, 2015) - Buy
#30: Beauty and the Beast 3D+2D (December 15th, 2014) - Buy
#29: Tarzan (December 20th, 2014) - Buy
#28: Tangled 3D+2D (November 10th, 2014) - Buy
#27: Sleeping Beauty (December 8th, 2014) - Buy
#26: The Lion King (December 8th, 2014) - Buy
#25: Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs (December 15th, 2014) - Buy
#24: The Fox and The Hound (October 06th, 2014) - Buy
#23: Pocahontas (September 15th, 2014) - Buy
#22: The Rescuers (September 15th, 2014) - Buy
#21: The Aristocats (August 11th, 2014) - Buy
#20: The Hunchback of Notre Dame (August 11th, 2014) - Buy
#19: Mulan (July 21st, 2014) - Buy
#18: Hercules (July 7th, 2014) - Buy
#17: Pinocchio (July 7th, 2014) - Buy
#16: Robin Hood (June 4th, 2014) - Buy
#15: Mary Poppins (March 3rd, 2014) - Buy
#14: Cinderella (April 7th, 2014) - Buy
#13: Bambi (April 7th, 2014) - Buy
#12: Frozen (March 31st, 2014) - Buy
#11: Alice in Wonderland (May 30, 2014) - Buy
#10: 101 Dalmatians (March 10, 2014) - Buy
#09: Dumbo (February 17, 2014) - Buy
#08: Lady & the Tramp (February 17, 2014) - Buy
#07: Peter Pan (February 10, 2014) - Buy
#06: Fantasia (January 20, 2014) - Buy
#05: Planes (December 2, 2013) - Buy
#04: Wreck it Ralph (January 19th, 2014) - Buy
#03: The Little Mermaid (September 23rd, 2013) - Buy
#02: The Jungle Book (August 12, 2013) - Buy
#01: Aladdin (July 8th, 2013) - Buy

Not part of the official Zavvi's Disney Collection:

- Alice in Wonderland 3D+2D (February 22nd, 2016) - Buy
- Oz the Great and Poweful 3D+2D (May 4th, 2015) - Buy
- Frankenweenie 3D+2D (April 05th, 2015) - Buy
- Zootropolis 3D+2D (July 25th, 2016) - Buy
- Moana 3D+2D (April 3rd, 2017) - Buy

Disney Lenticular Steelbooks:

- The Rocketeer 3D+2D Lenticular (November 28th, 2016) - Buy
- Snow White Lenticular (December 23rd, 2016) - Buy
- Brave 3D+2D Lenticular (December 23rd, 2016) - Buy
- Toy Story 3D+2D Lenticular (December 23rd, 2016) - Buy
- Frozen 3D+2D Lenticular (December 23rd, 2016) - Buy
- Monsters, Inc 3D+2D Lenticular (December 23rd, 2016) - Buy
- The Lion King 3D Lenticular (December 23rd, 2016) - Buy
- Finding Nemo 3D+2D Lenticular (February 27th 2017) - Buy
- Wreck It Ralph 3D+2D Lenticular (March 6th, 2017) - Buy
- Tangled 3D+2D Lenticular (March 6th, 2017) - Buy
- Beauty and The Beast 3D+2D Lenticular (March 13th, 2017) - Buy
- Tron Legacy 2D Lenticular (March 20th, 2017) - Buy
- The Lone Ranger 2D Lenticular (March 27th, 2017) - Buy
- Fantasia Lenticular (April 10th, 2017) - Buy
- Big Hero 6 3D+2D Lenticular (April 17th, 2017) - Buy
- Lilo & Stitch Lenticular (April 17th, 2017) - Buy

- Avengers Assemble 3D+2D Lenticular (April 23rd, 2015) - Buy
- Captain America: The First Avenger 3D+2D Lenticular (November 30th, 2015) - Buy
- Captain America: The Winter Soldier 3D+2D Lenticular (November 30th, 2015) - Buy
- Guardians of the Galaxy 3D+2D Lenticular (November 30th, 2015) - Buy
- Iron Man 3D+2D Lenticular (November 30th, 2015) - Buy
- Iron Man 2 3D+2D Lenticular (November 30th, 2015) - Buy
- Iron Man 3 3D+2D Lenticular (November 30th, 2015) - Buy
- Thor 3D+2D Lenticular (December 14th, 2015) - Buy
- Thor: The Dark World 3D+2D Lenticular (December 14th, 2015) - Buy
- Hulk 2D Lenticular (October 10th, 2016) - Buy
- The Incredible Hulk 2D Lenticular (October 10th, 2016) - Buy
- Ant-Man 3D+2D Lenticular (October 24th, 2016) - Buy
- Avengers: Age of Ultron 3D+2D Lenticular (October 31st, 2016) - Buy
- Spider-Man 2D Lenticular (November 7th, 2016) - Buy
- Spider-Man 2 2D Lenticular (November 14th, 2016) - Buy
- Spider-Man 3 2D Lenticular (November 21st, 2016) - Buy
- Captain America: Civil War 3D+2D Lenticular (October 16th, 2017) - Buy
- Doctor Stranger 3D+2D Lenticular (October 16th, 2017) - Buy

thumb.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I just asked this question in the Emperor's New Groove thread, but I thought maybe I could get better clarification here. Everyone always uses the phrase "Classics" when referring to this collection, but I've not seen that on anything related to this set. I've looked multiple times over the last year or so, but people still keep mentioning how certain films don't belong in this "Disney Classics Collection". Am I missing something? It's been driving me mad.

I just asked this question in the Emperor's New Groove thread, but I thought maybe I could get better clarification here. Everyone always uses the phrase "Classics" when referring to this collection, but I've not seen that on anything related to this set. I've looked multiple times over the last year or so, but people still keep mentioning how certain films don't belong in this "Disney Classics Collection". Am I missing something? It's been driving me mad.
Zavvi have called their range "The Disney Collection", which INCLUDES "Disney Classics" (the term used to refer to their theatrical animated features), but is not limited to such titles, with Mary Poppins and Planes being the two exceptions.

Just to confuse matters further, there are some differences between the US Disney Classics list and the UK version. The US version has 54 titles and includes Dinosaur and Winnie The Pooh (neither of which are included in the UK list) whereas the UK version includes The Wild (not in the US list) and consists of 53 titles...

http://www.imdb.com/list/ls070184766/

Doctor has explained it fairly well, but to add a little more information - Most references to the 'Disney Classics' refer to the output of what is now known as the Walt Disney Animation Studios. A full list of their releases can be found here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Walt_Disney_Animation_Studios_films.

This is separate from other animation studios either founded or owned by Disney, like Pixar (who are pretty well known) and DisneyToon Studios, who made Planes, along with a lot of the direct-to-video animated sequels.

While most people would agree that films like Mary Poppins are classic films, they're not considered classics in the Disney sense because they aren't part of the output of the same production studio.

It's as much a marketing thing as anything else though - Winnie the Pooh (2011) isn't a 'classic' in the UK for instance because it performed poorly both theatrically and on home video. On the flip-side, there are some countries where the 'official' classics list has passed #100 now. Gotta collect 'em all, eh?

Doctor has explained it fairly well, but to add a little more information - Most references to the 'Disney Classics' refer to the output of what is now known as the Walt Disney Animation Studios. A full list of their releases can be found here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Walt_Disney_Animation_Studios_films.

This is separate from other animation studios either founded or owned by Disney, like Pixar (who are pretty well known) and DisneyToon Studios, who made Planes, along with a lot of the direct-to-video animated sequels.

While most people would agree that films like Mary Poppins are classic films, they're not considered classics in the Disney sense because they aren't part of the output of the same production studio.

It's as much a marketing thing as anything else though - Winnie the Pooh (2011) isn't a 'classic' in the UK for instance because it performed poorly both theatrically and on home video. On the flip-side, there are some countries where the 'official' classics list has passed #100 now. Gotta collect 'em all, eh?

Good answer
With the newly announced steelbooks this leaves the following needed to catch up with the releases available on Amaray
Oliver and Company
Fantasia 2000
Chicken Little
The wild
Meet the robinsons
Bolt
Princess and the frog
Lilo and stitch

The classic line is far from complete in the UK

I'm not sure what the current status is with The Wild though. Disney is only the distributor, and the studio (C.O.R.E.) has shut down. It's probably low on the To-Do list, to be honest.

I'd also like to see the remaining features get a Blu-Ray release at some point, too, even the package films from the war years.

I'm not sure what the current status is with The Wild though. Disney is only the distributor, and the studio (C.O.R.E.) has shut down. It's probably low on the To-Do list, to be honest.

I'd also like to see the remaining features get a Blu-Ray release at some point, too, even the package films from the war years.

The thing is though, it has been done. It's whether or not Disney deem it viable to re-release in a steelbook. They might.

With the DVDs, I follow the UK numbering system simply because the spines have the numbers on them so it makes sense. With the steelbooks*, I plan to only follow the US list as I feel Dinosaur is a much more worthy (and accurate) entry than The Wild. As I open the steelbooks and throw the J-cards away there's no numbering to adhere to (except on a couple of the discs). I would also add Winnie the Pooh into the range to copy the US list should (hopes against hope) it get a steelbook.

*the steelbooks are my first and only purchase of Disney movies on Blu-ray.

Yes, I'm well aware of all of that. I'm not wondering what is considered Disney Classics. That's all common knowledge. I do appreciate the follow up, though. Like I mentioned previously, I'm referring to the fact that people seem to be calling THIS collection a "Classics Collection", but there is no signification that this is anything other than a "Disney Collection". I've seen many comments questioning the validity of certain titles being included in the set because they wouldn't qualify as "classics", but I see no specification that this is a classics only collection or even an animated collection; simply a Disney collection. I was just wondering if i missed that somewhere on the forums or Zavvi's site.

When I see the likes of Brother Bear and thenEmperors new groove getting a release I can console myself with the fact I'll save money and if sword in the stone hasn't been remastered I doubt I'll get that either.

The trouble with Sword in the Stone is that the animation is crap, a lot of it is recycled from other films, the characters are poor and a lot of the film doesn't really gel. So it's not the restoration that's at fault, it's the source material. You can't make a silk purse out of a sows ear. It's not the weakest Disney animation by any means but it's not the Jungle Book that's for sure...... But as a purist I'll be collecting this steelbook as it's turning out to a superb steelbook series and I want to keep the collection complete

Yes, I'm well aware of all of that. I'm not wondering what is considered Disney Classics. That's all common knowledge. I do appreciate the follow up, though. Like I mentioned previously, I'm referring to the fact that people seem to be calling THIS collection a "Classics Collection", but there is no signification that this is anything other than a "Disney Collection". I've seen many comments questioning the validity of certain titles being included in the set because they wouldn't qualify as "classics", but I see no specification that this is a classics only collection or even an animated collection; simply a Disney collection. I was just wondering if i missed that somewhere on the forums or Zavvi's site.

I think I misunderstood you then; one of the perils of talking through text, I suppose. Sorry about that! I've never seen any indication that Zavvi's steelbook line is any form of classics collection and realistically, there's no indication on the product that they're part of a collection at all, aside from the classics having their numbers on the slips, which is par for the course for those titles really. Outside of this website and Zavvi's, there is nothing to even differentiate Aladdin, The Jungle Boo et al from Pirates of the Caribbean, Tron Legacy etc.

The thing is though, it has been done. It's whether or not Disney deem it viable to re-release in a steelbook. They might.

With the DVDs, I follow the UK numbering system simply because the spines have the numbers on them so it makes sense. With the steelbooks*, I plan to only follow the US list as I feel Dinosaur is a much more worthy (and accurate) entry than The Wild. As I open the steelbooks and throw the J-cards away there's no numbering to adhere to (except on a couple of the discs). I would also add Winnie the Pooh into the range to copy the US list should (hopes against hope) it get a steelbook.

*the steelbooks are my first and only purchase of Disney movies on Blu-ray.

Agreed on both counts with Dinosaur. It's far from a perfect film, but it's becoming a bit of a forgotten treasure and still represents a unique offering from Disney's canon. How many other films have offered a similar mixture of real location/plates populated with stylised animated characters? Plus, that opening sequence still drops my jaw every time. I'm not The Wild's biggest fan, though I do think it's better than Madagascar. You're right though, It would be entirely up to Disney if and when it got a re-release.

Reactions: GeekSexy
Was gonna get the new ones, 32-34, but I cant justify £20 a pop on these anymore when my fiancé has the amarays. Got a wedding to save for next year, so apart from the odd big film that I was gonna get anyway (like age of ultron) I have resigned myself to collecting the Mondo x Steelbooks at the minute and nothing else.

Maybe in the future if I can nab them off ebay or something I will pick them up

I am waiting for the following to be announced:

Black Cauldron
Meet The Robinson
The Many Adventures Of Winnie The Pooh
Fantasia 2000
The Rescuers Down Under
Atlantis: The Lost Empire
Treasure Planet
Meet The Robinsons.

Trying to be patient as well

For me I would love the princess & the frog ( VERY shocked it hasn't allready got one) , LILO & Stitch & Oliver & Company.

Rescuers down under & Atlantis would also be very welcome.. But they aren't available on Blu-Ray in the U.K so the likelihood is very low.

Reactions: Tacozilla