Live Sunday afternoon, 7/20/2014

Zxdycb1405616655.jpg

yIgG7v1405616695.jpg

Attachments

• thumb.jpg
    thumb.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 282
Last edited by a moderator:
Because a film wins Oscars doesn't mean it's actually good and usually when a product gets good reviews on the likes of amazon it's because most of the people buying the film or TV show like it to begin with. So real surprise there. It's rare people do blind buys.

Some of the greatest films of all time never once got a look in at the Oscars and I suspect that a lot of the time the Oscars is less to do with great films but more to do with promoting mediocre or luckwarm films to help them perform better at the box office.

The English Patient won its Oscars for the same reasons most films win them - in recognition of great direction, fine acting, beautiful cinematography etc. Everyone brought their A-game to this one, and it shows. And it didn't just win at the Oscars, it won every major prize worldwide, 59 of them in total. Like it or not, it's thoroughly deserving of its place as a modern classic.

Not exactly unsung. It won 9 Oscars, including Best Picture & Best Director. And it performed similarly well at the Golden Globes, BAFTAs etc. It has 445 reviews on Amazon.com, averaging at 4/5 stars, so public opinion is overwhelmingly favourable. And rightly so in my opinion - it's an exceptionally fine film.

I know it won awards, but noticed it didn't exactly become a classic in the same vein as Shawshank for example. Trailer doesn't look that bad mind.

As for the Steelbook, it looks naff.

Whilst I agree that the artwork could have been better, the Dutch MetalPak springs to mind, I don't feel the aversion that some others have expressed here. Given some of the absolutely abysmal artwork choices made by Studio Canal recently, such as "Mulholland Drive" and "The Graduate", I was actually quite pleased that they chose something already tried and tested.

As regards the movie itself, I'm surprised at how much antipathy has been expressed here. I, for one, look forward to re-visiting this classic and will definitely be purchasing it. People's tastes differ and the wonderful thing about the vast catalogue of titles available, is that there is something for everyone. Just because a film doesn't contain a host of car chases and explosions doesn't make it inferior.

Hopefully, if Zavvi and Studio Canal continue with this trend, we will also be getting a steelbook release of "The Constant Gardener" in the not too distant future.

Reactions: William