Contributor Steels/Arrow
Contributor
Premium Supporter
Sep 10, 2012
Navan/Ireland
Release date: TBA
Purchase links: Amazon UK - Zavvi - HMV
Price: £34.99
Notes: 3 discs (Disc 1 UHD Theatrical Cut - Disc 2 UHD Extended Cut - Disc 3 Blu-ray Extended Cut)

81LWJetr9QL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

81uWzwNeCwL._AC_SL1500_.jpg 71qb1tLn1SL._AC_SL1500_.jpg 81hD2P6wC1L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Last edited:
Has this film tanked then?
It got pretty great review scores.
Good reviews but not enough bums on seats unfortunately

This is the same with a lot of Gosling films FYI. First man, nice guys and more. All critically and audience acclaimed but not enough money made. It’s the reason The Nice Guys 2 never happened. Both Gosling and Black have stated that

Reactions: Lenny Nero
Good reviews but not enough bums on seats unfortunately

This is the same with a lot of Gosling films FYI. First man, nice guys and more. All critically and audience acclaimed but not enough money made. It’s the reason The Nice Guys 2 never happened. Both Gosling and Black have stated that
There is no accounting for taste, this and Nice Guys were excellent fun films and should have been more successful. A real shame

Yep, this is sad. I haven't read anywhere in reviews or on various sites like this any comments from anybody not liking the film.

I guess there just aren't enough people these days that are interested in going to see an action comedy in theatres even when word of mouth is positive.

Perhaps people have been burned too many times by movies based on TV shows? I guess this is the type of film that people would rather just wait for it to hit streaming.

Is there too short of a window between theatrical and streaming releases to get more people to see this type of film in theatres? Even with Ryan Gosling and Emily Blunt?

:dunno:

I’m personally looking forward to it (was going to watch it tonight) but I just don’t go to the cinema that often. Only been a handful of times this year alone for poor things and Dune 2 (there’s another but I can’t think).

But this was also a film I knew I was just going to blind buy the steelbook based on the trailers, the 2 actors, the artwork and now the good reviews.

I usually wait to stream nowadays. Especially since the pandemic where the turn around is much quicker. However, this is ridiculous. Only been like 2 weeks! Should’ve waited a few more weeks until they put it on digital. Madam web held out longer which is crazy!

Has this film tanked then?
$125-150 million budget before marketing and a $128 million worldwide box office is a what? $100-150 million loss?

I'm looking forward to this too but I didn't bother to go and watch at the cinema, I think it's death by a thousand cuts, general lack of interest/fatigue, old ip, cinema too expensive, it'll be on streaming/physical soon so why bother.

I’m personally looking forward to it (was going to watch it tonight) but I just don’t go to the cinema that often. Only been a handful of times this year alone for poor things and Dune 2 (there’s another but I can’t think).

But this was also a film I knew I was just going to blind buy the steelbook based on the trailers, the 2 actors, the artwork and now the good reviews.

I usually wait to stream nowadays. Especially since the pandemic where the turn around is much quicker. However, this is ridiculous. Only been like 2 weeks! Should’ve waited a few more weeks until they put it on digital. Madam web held out longer which is crazy!
Yeah I don't get it either, 2 weeks is just ridiculous. At the very least give it the month to get into the bank holiday weekend. If the reviews were poor or there was some negative press around one of the stars or production of the movie then maybe I'd get it, but it just feels like desperation. Movies like this can have the potential to have legs when given the chance but this is sending it to an early death. I've been going to the cinema loads in the last year but I still don't have time to get to everything. Getting to see this meant I haven't really had the chance to catch Challengers for example.

but I can’t think
robin williams its not your fault GIF

I don't get it either, 2 weeks is just ridiculous. At the very least give it the month to get into the bank holiday weekend. If the reviews were poor or there was some negative press around one of the stars or production of the movie then maybe I'd get it, but it just feels like desperation. Movies like this can have the potential to have legs when given the chance but this is sending it to an early death.
Yeah, I remember when movies in the 90's would stay in theaters 3 months at least, grossing like a million, or even $100-300k per week, maybe on smaller screens in multiplexes, but still, available as an extra choice for moviegoers that are 'late', or those that don't go often. And that's besides another 3-6 month 'rental window', when VHS would cost intentionally prohibitive amount of $89 or thereabout.
That way even me, who went twice a week, every week, could choose something on a slow premiere weekend, when there's maybe only 'boring' melodramatic or historical films out.

Reactions: NateDog
robin williams its not your fault GIF

Yeah, I remember when movies in the 90's would stay in theaters 3 months at least, grossing like a million, or even $100-300k per week, maybe on smaller screens in multiplexes, but still, available as an extra choice for moviegoers that are 'late', or those that don't go often. And that's besides another 3-6 month 'rental window', when VHS would cost intentionally prohibitive amount of $89 or thereabout.
That way even me, who went twice a week, every week, could choose something on a slow premiere weekend, when there's maybe only 'boring' melodramatic or historical films out.
I was pretty late for Inception back in 2010, it came out in July but I saw it in the middle of October and apparently it ran until January. I think an expectation of a stream of blockbusters and the demand to constantly feed streaming platforms has been a big part of why films are being ushered out of the cinema so quickly.

There's a few cons to the cinema, it's generally expensive, you commit a lot of time (3-4 hours for me once you factor in travel, adverts and the actual feature) so when it's a film which doesn't demand the big screen and it's going to be available from the comfort of home in a few months then I am not shocked people are just holding back.

It's an approach which doesn't seem to be working, I would have thought an easy first step would be to ensure there's a bigger gap between the cinema release and when it reaches other formats but some companies aren't done losing billions on streaming I guess.

Reactions: steelmybeatingheart