The first ever steelbook?

Email the patent holder, I'm sure they will tell you. I can't remember their name ,but I'm sure someone here can tell you.

Scanovo I believe.

Scanavo are just the global marketers of the brand. They do however hold the patents on the plastic inside the cases. G&M are the patent holders for the actual outside design and concept of the steelbook case and brand.

One of the creators tho emailed me about 4 years ago .... and the rest is history. ;p

• Thanks
Reactions: dfoles
The very 1st steelbook I recall having was Ong Bak believe it or not. It was a DVD steelbook. I thought it was really neat, and it lead down to this path of madness.

That was back in 2005 BTW.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chandler_90
My first DVD G1 Steelbook was Underworld 2, I think the first Steelbook ever released in France, but I'm not sure...
and my 1st Bluray G2 Steel was Green Hornet followed by Priest and Paul.
;)

So there's really no way of knowing then? Was G&M the first one to release DVDs in steel packaging? I guess tins have been available for a while.

I'm glad they don't to steelbook packaging for regular music cds as I have more than enough trouble keeping up with the blu releases

In the UK the first official video game SteelBook was Killzone for the PS2, which was released on the 26th November 2004, which I believe may make it the very first SteelBook

The first UK Blu-Ray SteelBook was most definitely Sweeney Todd, followed by Wanted and 10,000 BC.

I believe the first Dvd SteelBook in the UK may have been Steven Spielberg's Duel, although I can't remember that far back and there may have been a few released before it. Duel was definitely one of the earliest UK SteelBook releases though