The Game (1997) (Blu-ray SteelBook) [Germany]

Mar 15, 2017
Release date: August 10, 2017
Purchase link: Amazon DE
Price: €12.99

81PWVDaTC7L._SX425_.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Finally another release for one of my favourite David Fincher movie. Will definately be ordering this. Price is decent for catalogue release unlike the £15.99 zavvi style pricing.

Reactions: Flloydo
One of my favourites of finchers (well apart from alien 3 I love all his work)

But that steel is freaky as ****!

What's new for the 20th anniversary? Or is it just the art?

Reactions: sunnyx
I hope that 20th is a sticker! But I'm not so optimistic. This is when I support re-releases. When it's not been released for a while and the previous steel was poor, a way to celebrate its anniversary making it a little bit more special with some goodies bit like saw's 10th anniversary, not re-releasing because the studio is short of a few bob lol. What I respect about finchers movies they don't seem to age. You don't need CGI and sh it. Except for alien 3 like you said, a disgrace and a slap in the face to the alien franchise, but he is forgiven, wasn't all his fault entirely I blame Fox mostly. Just wished panic room can get a uk bluray and a steelbook to follow.

I hope that 20th is a sticker! But I'm not so optimistic. This is when I support re-releases. When it's not been released for a while and the previous steel was poor, a way to celebrate its anniversary making it a little bit more special with some goodies bit like saw's 10th anniversary, not re-releasing because the studio is short of a few bob lol. What I respect about finchers movies they don't seem to age. You don't need CGI and sh it. Except for alien 3 like you said, a disgrace and a slap in the face to the alien franchise, but he is forgiven, wasn't all his fault entirely I blame Fox mostly. Just washed panic room can get a uk bluray and a steelbook to follow.

He's in my top 5 directors, most his films are my comfort films with this, fight club, se7en and zodiac ruling the roost for me

Yep would love panic room on blu ray. Tbh I want a steel of all his films, but only have a few. I did pass on alien 3 though, I have that in the DVD box set and that's enough lol

Yep he is, he nearly gave up directing after that film. And a lot of the fault lays with 20th century fox

f*cking glad he never quit, he's earned his place as one of the greatest

I hope that 20th is a sticker! But I'm not so optimistic. This is when I support re-releases. When it's not been released for a while and the previous steel was poor, a way to celebrate its anniversary making it a little bit more special with some goodies bit like saw's 10th anniversary, not re-releasing because the studio is short of a few bob lol. What I respect about finchers movies they don't seem to age. You don't need CGI and sh it. Except for alien 3 like you said, a disgrace and a slap in the face to the alien franchise, but he is forgiven, wasn't all his fault entirely I blame Fox mostly. Just wished panic room can get a uk bluray and a steelbook to follow.

Totally agree with all.

Will keep an eye on this, although that art didn´t strike me so much. But maybe it will surprise when it´s in hand. But the movie is brilliant, Fincher is an artist.

He's in my top 5 directors, most his films are my comfort films with this, fight club, se7en and zodiac ruling the roost for me

Yep would love panic room on blu ray. Tbh I want a steel of all his films, but only have a few. I did pass on alien 3 though, I have that in the DVD box set and that's enough lol

Yep he is, he nearly gave up directing after that film. And a lot of the fault lays with 20th century fox

Alien 3 was his first movie to direct. He wanted to get his name known but didn't see what he walked into but like anyone new to the business has to start from somewhere and the very bottom. A lot of the directors get the flack these days just like the Manager gets the flack when their team doesn't perform and gets the boot. But the movie had such an awfully written story and screenplay not even James Cameron could had made it any more enjoyable. No directors would want to touch the piece of crap. But unfortunately the Director is the one that gets the blame and the responsibility these days. It's a shame Fincher a young rookie newbie in the film making industry walked right into it. On the Alien Quadrilogy bluray boxset he refused to participate on any of the special features and commentary like he doesn't want any involvement or even hear the name of that movie again. I don't blame him TBH.

But I agree, his movies have earned him a great deal of respect and a name for himself. What's done is done with Alien 3, but he's gained a lot of respect of how he's moved on and become one of the most talented directors. I'm really glad he didn't jack it in and throw in the towel either. He could had gone back to his music business and I wouldn't blame him either for that.

Totally agree with all.

Will keep an eye on this, although that art didn´t strike me so much. But maybe it will surprise when it´s in hand. But the movie is brilliant, Fincher is an artist.

I watched the movie having no idea about the movie. I watched it very late, I think around in 2010 and it was extremely entertaining. Even though it is one of those movies that technically you can only watch once because you know the twist to it, it still has plenty of replay value.

Reactions: C.C. 95
I'm one of the few that genuinely admires Alien 3, not a popular movie i know but i liked how it subverted the then trilogy.
The "original assembly" (not actually a directors cut) was far closer to Flincher's vision.

• Thanks
Reactions: tono06 and Sairentu
I'm one of the few that genuinely admires Alien 3, not a popular movie i know but i liked how it subverted the then trilogy.
The "original assembly" (not actually a directors cut) was far closer to Flincher's vision.

I think the reason why so many alien fans hated it is because of the dynamic of how James Cameron finished his master piece. Then suddenly two great characters such as Hicks and Newt were just killed. That was a major no no no. Then they were isolated in a prison with no weapons. Alien 3 would be great for a video game just like the PS4 Alien Isolation, a survival horror type. I've tried to like the movie over the years but everytime I watch it, it just gets worst lol. Either cut of the movie makes no difference to the tone and story of the movie.

I admire how you can 'like' the movie. I wish someday I can share your enjoyment for it lol

Reactions: Punker76
Alien 3 was his first movie to direct. He wanted to get his name known but didn't see what he walked into but like anyone new to the business has to start from somewhere and the very bottom. A lot of the directors get the flack these days just like the Manager gets the flack when their team doesn't perform and gets the boot. But the movie had such an awfully written story and screenplay not even James Cameron could had made it any more enjoyable. No directors would want to touch the piece of crap. But unfortunately the Director is the one that gets the blame and the responsibility these days. It's a shame Fincher a young rookie newbie in the film making industry walked right into it. On the Alien Quadrilogy bluray boxset he refused to participate on any of the special features and commentary like he doesn't want any involvement or even hear the name of that movie again. I don't blame him TBH.

But I agree, his movies have earned him a great deal of respect and a name for himself. What's done is done with Alien 3, but he's gained a lot of respect of how he's moved on and become one of the most talented directors. I'm really glad he didn't jack it in and throw in the towel either. He could had gone back to his music business and I wouldn't blame him either for that.

Oh yeah I fully agree and knew all that

I didn't mind it when I was younger but just went off it, I like the dogs though, but then I don't mind resurrection

I think the reason why so many alien fans hated it is because of the dynamic of how James Cameron finished his master piece. Then suddenly two great characters such as Hicks and Newt were just killed. That was a major no no no. Then they were isolated in a prison with no weapons. Alien 3 would be great for a video game just like the PS4 Alien Isolation, a survival horror type. I've tried to like the movie over the years but everytime I watch it, it just gets worst lol. Either cut of the movie makes no difference to the tone and story of the movie.

I admire how you can 'like' the movie. I wish someday I can share your enjoyment for it lol

Good game that, was very scary. (The one where your ripleys daughter?)

I watched the movie having no idea about the movie. I watched it very late, I think around in 2010 and it was extremely entertaining. Even though it is one of those movies that technically you can only watch once because you know the twist to it, it still has plenty of replay value.

I must of watched this when I was about 12 and it just stuck with me! Found it so dark and the idea is something I've wanted to do, @C.C. 95 is into this too and he showed me this doc where you could actually play this game in real life!

Wasn't until fight club though (and again was very young) I noticed fincher and went back to se7en and then panic room and so on.

I can watch his films a lot though regardless of his twists whereas other films with twists do loose their appeal sometimes. They are seriously my comfort films if I'm having a bad day or feel really disconnected to everything - weird I know

This is when I support re-releases. When it's not been released for a while and the previous steel was poor.

The previous Game steelbook was fine. Debossed puppet on the front.

This looks a lot worse IMO.

Has this been given a remaster for the 20th anniversary?

I'd really like a new Steelbook for Zodiac as I missed the first one (and it wasn't great!)

The previous Game steelbook was fine. Debossed puppet on the front.

This looks a lot worse IMO.

Has this been given a remaster for the 20th anniversary?

I'd really like a new Steelbook for Zodiac as I missed the first one (and it wasn't great!)

I'm hoping zodiac eventually gets a premium new WEA steel.
Kimchi blu collection maybe but someone needs to do it, same with se7en

Now if this contains the 'new' Universal disc in the USA with PQ on par with Criterion's disc then I might bite.

If it contains the same international recycled craptastic disc then no way Jose!

Sadly, as with most releases these days I guess it will be the latter

This is very exciting.........

https://www.google.ie/amp/variety.c...incher-world-war-z-2-director-1202399978/amp/

• Thanks
Reactions: milky and Flloydo
Last edited:
Been waiting ages for WW2. It's about time a decent BIG BUDGET Zombie franchise movie comes out. A lot of zombie movies have small budgets which understandably is less risk and investment for the studio as horror type movies don't attract a big audience. RE series were just a bit fun but was never a movie to taken seriously.