UK
Release date: August 7, 2017
Purchase link: The Game (live)
Price: £15.99

11466493-1404481944916469.jpg

11466493-2394481945055387.jpg

11466493-1624481945009706.jpg

Last edited:
Would be interested if it's the remaster but judging by the German thread it's the old disc so pass

• Helpful Post
Reactions: goufcustom
its not a bad price i guess

Terrible price, I'm pretty sure the original zavvi release was £14.99 and now this is an even older catalogue title compared to when it was first released

If this was the remaster then yeah I'd agree with you.... Maybe, but chucking 20th anniversary on the mock up (and most likely j card) is a misleading sales tactic to make us think it's a better disc included.
Bad studio and bad zavvi! Tut tut

Wow. 20 years anniversary edition. I also hope it's a remastered edition, if not pointless to get.

I will get this when the price drops. I think I got the original one for £6.99. £9.99 with discount code is the most I will pay

Wow! Love the artwork, the colours and the scarlet spine!
COULD be SO much nicer than the original especially if treated well regarding finish and w/ embossing to artwork.

Not forgetting the fact that the original steelbook was hardly a roaring success - with a sizeable print run of 4,000, a dull matte finish w/ quality control issues (chipping to paintwork) and no title on the front when there was clearly room for one under the artwork . . . it @GBP 6.99.
Same fate to befall this one? I think not.
struggled to sell at the GBP 14.99 pre-order price and ended its days ignominiously in the bargain bin priced
Presumably the "20th Anniversary" jigsaw piecewill be on the J-card or a sticker and not printed on the actual steelbook . . . as that would be a bit daft (but dafter things have happened).

upload_2017-5-28_18-14-0.png
-------------------
upload_2017-5-28_18-14-33.png

upload_2017-5-28_18-15-12.png
--------------------
the-game-steelbook-inside-art.jpg

Whilst not original poster artwork on the front or back there's at least an original design inside and as can be seen the stringed puppet is also on the original steelbook . . . similar idea - though treated very differently - seen on the Criterion release bringing to mind the famously chilling 9/11 "Falling Man" image:-
upload_2017-5-28_19-8-55.png
---------------------
upload_2017-5-28_19-40-45.png
upload_2017-5-28_19-47-31.png

. . . with a reminder of the clown doll used for the front artwork (glossy clown as seen in the clip would look good on the steelbook):-

This is not my favourite Michael Douglas film . . . that's a tie between FALLING DOWN and THE WAR OF THE ROSES.

My favourite film with "Game" in the title remains Michael Haneke's FUNNY GAMES.

Hopefully one of the Criterion titles to be added soon to the 40+ titles released here recently in the U.K.

THE GAME (Criterion) Special Features (courtesy 1997 Criterion laserdisc via the 2006 U.K. Special Edition DVD to the 2012 Criterion Blu-ray) + Comparison between U.K. and U.S. Blu-ray releases:-
II
V
http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film3/blu-ray_reviews52/the_game_blu-ray.htm
DIRECTOR-APPROVED SPECIAL EDITION:
Courtesy Hi-Def Digest:-
"Criterion has put together a nice collection of supplements, including a very informative commentary and some cool behind-the-scenes footage. All of the special features are presented in 1080p with Dolby Digital 2.0 audio and no subtitle options, unless noted otherwise.

• Audio Commentary with Filmmakers - Recorded separately, director David Fincher, screenwriters John Brancato & Michael Ferris, cinematographer Harris Savides, actor Michael Douglas, production designer Jeffrey Beecroft, and visual effects supervisor Kevin Haug provide commentary on the film. The participants all share a wealth of relevant production facts and sometimes fascinating insights into the movie's development. Details on sets, locations, themes, changes made to the script, stunts, effects, lighting, and virtually every other facet of the moviemaking process are addressed in-depth. Fincher spends a lot of time discussing the film's meta aspects and candidly elaborates on specific choices and his overall approach to directing. The participants' separate comments are all well edited together, and the track flows wonderfully. It's not the most lively commentary, but it's absolutely packed with trivia, anecdotes, and interesting technical information, making it a must listen for fans and budding filmmakers alike.
  • Alternate Ending (HD, 1 min) - Presented with Dolby Digital 1.0 sound, this is a very brief and uneventful alternate ending. The filmmakers definitely made the right decision with the conclusion used in the movie.
  • Film-To-Storyboard-Comparisons (HD) - Four split screen comparisons between storyboards and finished scenes are included. The sequences provided are "Dog Chase" (4 min), "The Taxi" (3 min), "Christine's House" (4 min), and "The Fall" (1 min).
  • Behind the Scenes (HD) - Presented in upscaled 1080i, this is a collection of five separate behind the scenes featurettes, "Dog Chase" (4 min), "The Taxi" (12 min), "Christine's House" (5 min), "The Fall" (8 min), and "Location Footage" (9 min). Each segment is focused on a different set piece, and features lots of raw on-set footage showing how the stunts and effects were accomplished. Optional commentary with the filmmakers is also available, providing even more in depth information about the shoot, effects, cinematography, production design, and storyboarding process.
  • Psychological Test Film (HD, 1 min) - Presented in 1080i, this is the bizarre CRS psychological test reel that's briefly featured in the movie.
  • Teaser and Trailer (HD) - The film's teaser and trailer are included in 1080p. The teaser features optional commentary with digital animation supervisor Richard Baily who discusses the conception and execution of the unique CG work used. A render test of the teaser animation is also viewable with additional commentary by Baily. The theatrical trailer features optional commentary with David Fincher, who elaborates on the studio's marketing restrictions.
HD Bonus Content: Any Exclusive Goodies in There?
There are no HD exclusives."

PLUS: A booklet featuring an essay by film critic David Sterritt

Last edited:
Reactions: robbodoc