The Grand Budapest Hotel (Blu-ray SteelBook) (Zavvi Exclusive) [UK]

snooloui

The 'Negative' Ninja
Premium Supporter
Feb 12, 2012
UK
Release date: November 2nd, 2015
Purchase link: The Grand Budapest Hotel (live)
Price: £15.99
Notes: Limited to 2,000 copies.

11164383-5654322080399287.jpg

11164383-1934322080416099.jpg

11164383-1324322080410942.jpg

Last edited:
Not seen this but just watched the trailer. Looks brilliant! Being Wes Anderson it's got to be great. Definite preorder!

I really badly want this, however, I'm waiting to see if Criterion release it as I have Bottle Rocket, Rushmore, Royal Tenenbaums, Life Aquatic and Darjeeling. I've been putting it off for ages, same with Moonrise Kingdom (which comes out in a few weeks)

I don't want to have all Criterion and one Fox release :confused:

I really badly want this, however, I'm waiting to see if Criterion release it as I have Bottle Rocket, Rushmore, Royal Tenenbaums, Life Aquatic and Darjeeling. I've been putting it off for ages, same with Moonrise Kingdom (which comes out in a few weeks)

I don't want to have all Criterion and one Fox release :confused:

You can pretty much guarantee that there will be a criterion release for this, they love his movies.
I do have a very similar problem but I think I will settle for removing the disc and booklet and putting in the steelbook, already done it for a few others and besides they made things messy with the Fantastic Mr Fox case :(

speaking about Criterion Collection I really really wanna see how they take on steelbook treatments tho, it'd have been phenomenon... I just wish I just wish...

Last edited:
This deserved way better artwork, not loving all the names on it :(

Hmm when's it live?

And the names don't bother me much now, looks like a old fashioned theatrical piece poster and like someones already mentioned and like all wes films, it's a fine cast

Looking forward to this more than to any other recent steelbook that's for sure . . . but despite that I wouldn't bite at more than GBP 15.99.

I can certainly do WITHOUT the names on the front and JUST THE TITLE would be ideal IMO !

On the other hand the names would have been MOST WELCOME if they had used the U.K. slipcover 'key-locker' design :thumbs:

Last edited:
Anyone know if this picture is of an actual real hotel because certain parts of the exterior - the two *cupolas / domes in particular - remind me of The Carlton Hotel in Cannes (South of France) where I used to spend my Summer holidays ?
*modeled on / /inspired by the breasts of a famous high-class hooker of the time.

Last edited:
Anyone know if this picture is of an actual real hotel because certain parts of the exterior - the two *cupolas / domes in particular - remind me of The Carlton Hotel in Cannes (South of France) where I used to spend my Summer holidays ?
*modelled/inspired by the breasts of a famous high-class hooker of the time.
The photo, I believe, is of a miniature model used for the film. Wes Anderson always does a lot of work with model sets. However, I do not know the source of the inspiration for the model.

Reactions: virkia
*modelled/inspired by the breasts of a famous high-class hooker of the time.

The photo, I believe, is of a miniature model used for the film. Wes Anderson always does a lot of work with model sets. However, I do not know the source of the inspiration for the model.
Here's some info found on Wikipedia...

For wide shots of the hotel, Anderson used a 3-metre-tall (10 ft) handmade miniature model. He felt that since audiences would know that the shot was artificial, computer-generated effects or otherwise, "The particular brand of artificiality that I like to use is an old-fashioned one." He had previously used miniatures in The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou and more extensively in Fantastic Mr. Fox. In designing the hotel, Anderson and production designer Adam Stockhausen did extensive research, looking at vintage images at the Library of Congress of hotels and European vacation spots, as well as existing locales such as the pastel-pink Palace Bristol Hotel prominently featured on movie advertisements and the Grandhotel Pupp in the spa town of Karlovy Vary (Carlsbad), Czech Republic and the Grandhotel Gellért in Budapest. The model used varying scales: the hotel model was 4 metres (14 ft) long and 2 metres (7 ft) deep, the tree-spotted hill on which it stood was a different scale, and finally the funicular railway in the foreground was built to a third scale to capture it best cinematically.

Palace Bristol Hotel:
1.jpg

Model:
2.JPG

Here's some info found on Wikipedia...

For wide shots of the hotel, Anderson used a 3-metre-tall (10 ft) handmade miniature model. He felt that since audiences would know that the shot was artificial, computer-generated effects or otherwise, "The particular brand of artificiality that I like to use is an old-fashioned one." He had previously used miniatures in The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou and more extensively in Fantastic Mr. Fox. In designing the hotel, Anderson and production designer Adam Stockhausen did extensive research, looking at vintage images at the Library of Congress of hotels and European vacation spots, as well as existing locales such as the pastel-pink Palace Bristol Hotel prominently featured on movie advertisements and the Grandhotel Pupp in the spa town of Karlovy Vary (Carlsbad), Czech Republic and the Grandhotel Gellért in Budapest. The model used varying scales: the hotel model was 4 metres (14 ft) long and 2 metres (7 ft) deep, the tree-spotted hill on which it stood was a different scale, and finally the funicular railway in the foreground was built to a third scale to capture it best cinematically.

Palace Bristol Hotel:
View attachment 187547

Model:
View attachment 187548
Thanks very much. I was just too lazy to do any research on it. :)

Reactions: Noodles