The Howling (1981) (Blu-ray SteelBook) (Zavvi Exclusive) [UK]

Noodles

Super Moderator
Premium Supporter
Feb 28, 2011
UK
Release date: March 26, 2018
Purchase link: Zavvi (pre-order February 18 at around 6PM UK time)
Price: £15.99

11686922-6784554327570108.jpg

11686922-1634554327449661.jpg
11686922-1334554327336117.jpg
11686922-5124554327265398.jpg

Ordered. One of my favourite werewolf films. Come to think of it there are not actually that many good werewolf films out there!
Curse of the Werewolf
The Wolf Man
An American Werewolf in London
Silver Bullet
The Howling

I also like The Wolfman (2010)
It's get's a lot of negatively but I liked it a lot
Rick Baker who did the make-up also done the make-up for An American Werewolf in London

Rick Baker was also the original effects artist for the The Howling
He only left the Howling production to do An American Werewolf in London
He consulted Rob Bottin on the make-up effects
It was Rick Baker who hired Bob to work with him on make-up effects

This is why both transformation scenes in both films look similar

Last edited:
I also like The Wolfman (2010)
It's get's a lot of negatively but I liked it a lot
Rick Baker who did the make-up also done the make-up for An American Werewolf in London

I think it's gets a bad write up because the story is poor and the cast is poor which is a shame as the werewolf effects are outstanding..... There is a nice segment in the Amicus film I think Dr Terrors House of Horrors and of course the The Beast Must Die..... sort of Shaft meets Hammer......

Come to think of it there are not actually that many good werewolf films out there!

Too true . . . especially when compared to vampires, zombies. mummies etc.
Not seen all werewolf films but out of those I've seen 3 favourites spring to mind:
- THE WOLF MAN (1941)
- AN AMERICAN WEREWOLF IN LONDON (1981)
- DOG SOLDIERS (2002)
Not forgetting TEEN WOLF (1985) . . .

Speaking about "Dog Soldiers" - not even a Blu-ray release in the UK for some reason let alone a steelbook w/ U.S. release unfortunately (for me) locked to region "A".

Apparently Dog Soldiers has a major problem. The original negatives are missing which is why they can't do a proper blu-ray release. They have a dupe but not the original negatives.

I have the Scream Factory Blu-ray
It's a much better Blu-ray than StudioCanal release especially in terms of the extras
Studiocanal Blu-ray is missing the excellent Unleashing The Beast documentary extra

I will be ordering this though for the artwork and the steelbook itself
I will take out the studiocanal Blu-ray and replace it with the scream factory blu-ray

With Scream Factory doing steelbooks now it's possible we might see them do a steelbook at some stage as well
i wish it was cheaper to do this. I have done this on quite a few occasions. Usually to replace a region locked blu-ray. You can usually find cheap blu-rays, especially older one. Alas, the Scream Factory and Zavvi would end up being close to $50...for just a steelbook. Guess I'll keep an eye out for Scream Factory discounts!

But why wouldn’t I want it! Of course I do! Bye bye money hello howling!

OK, "bye-bye money" as you write . . . but, to be serious for a minute, if you follow these releases as I do there's no need - unless you're in a rush to watch the films again - to pay pre-order prices for about 95% of all UK steelbook releases.

OK, "bye-bye money" as you write . . . but, to be serious for a minute, if you follow these releases as I do there's no need - unless you're in a rush to watch the films again - to pay pre-order prices for about 95% of all UK steelbook releases.

That’s too true, but for some reason my luck is that if I don’t bite straight away it sells out before make my move! So as per usual I’ll jump now buy it and then see it on zavvi in 6 months time for £6.99......

I’ll never learn

• Thanks
Reactions: virkia
Been thinking about buying this when it gets out. Mostly because I like the artwork, but also since I have yet to see the film itself :O

Here's the reveal....I have never seen this movie in its entirety!! I have seen the transformation scene tho, and it is awesome! Most probably will have to have this, but I'm kind of cool on the art. Could be worse, I guess.

Loved the movie as a kid, but I think I'll wait for a price drop. You hear me Zavvi? A price drop, not a price raise :p