Horror-Theatrical The Last of Us - In theaters TBA

Noodles

Super Moderator
Premium Supporter
Feb 28, 2011
UK
[CONTAINER][MOVIE1]Title: The Last of Us ()

Tagline: Could You Be...The Last of Us?

Genre: [GENRE]Thriller[/GENRE], [GENRE]Action[/GENRE], [GENRE]Adventure[/GENRE], [GENRE]Drama[/GENRE], [GENRE]Horror[/GENRE], [GENRE]Science Fiction[/GENRE]

Director: [DIRECTOR][/DIRECTOR]

Cast: [ACTOR][/ACTOR]

Release Date: [RELEASE][/RELEASE]

Runtime: [RUNTIME]0[/RUNTIME]

Plot: Joel and Ellie, a pair connected through the harshness of the world they live in, are forced to endure brutal circumstances and ruthless killers on a trek across post-pandemic America.[/MOVIE1][POSTER1]
nl9wpOKQa3I4vQJYxsc3dFu4b9b.jpg
[/POSTER1][/CONTAINER]

Deadline broke the news of this deal. Here’s a quote from Screen Gems president Clint Culpepper:

Screen Gems’ Brian Dukes and Eric Ling brought this game to my attention insisting we go after it and when I saw the quality of the storytelling, I knew the audience for this project was far greater than just the gaming community and that Neil Druckmann must write the screenplay. I am thrilled that SCEA’s Riley Russell was able to get me in front of Neil and Evan Wells to plead my case. Sam and his team at Ghost House round out the perfect team to help realize Neil’s vision.

More info:
Screen Gems will distribute the live action film The Last of Us based on the critically-acclaimed PlayStation 3 exclusive video game, developed by Naughty Dog. Neil Druckmann, the Creative Director for the game, will also write the script for the film. On behalf of Naughty Dog, the project will be produced by Co-Presidents' Evan Wells and Christophe Balestra, as well as Creative Director Neil Druckmann and Game Director Bruce Straley, along with Sam Raimi via their Ghost House Pictures banner.

Clint Culpepper, Screen Gems' President, stated, "Screen Gems' Brian Dukes and Eric Ling brought this game to my attention insisting we go after it. When I saw the quality of the storytelling, I knew the audience for this project was far greater than just the gaming community and that Neil Druckmann must write the screenplay. I am thrilled that SCEA's Riley Russell was able to get me in front of Neil and Evan Wells to plead my case. And Sam and his team at Ghost House round out the perfect team to help realize Neil’s vision."

"Our partnership with Sam Raimi, Ghost House Pictures, and Screen Gems to develop a film based on 'The Last of Us' universe is a perfect fit," said Evan Wells, Naughty Dog's Co-President. "Since our game released last June, we've talked with many companies about making a film, but we couldn't have found better partners who share our creative vision and high standards. We look forward to collaborating with Sam, his team, and Screen Gems, to make a movie that will thrill fans of 'The Last of Us' and general audiences worldwide."

The rich and visceral story of The Last of Us, which was released in June of 2013, follows hardened survivor, Joel, and Ellie, a young and capable girl, on their journey through a radically transformed world. Set twenty years after an infectious pandemic spread by the cordyceps virus ravaged the course of humanity, these two people, who were brought together by chance, must make life-altering decisions in order to survive. The Last of Us explores themes of survival, loyalty, love, and redemption in an emotionally charged expedition across a post-epidemic United States.

The Last of Us has received worldwide recognition for its innovation in storytelling and gameplay, garnering over 200 global Game of the Year awards from notable outlets. The post-apocalyptic video game also took home 10 wins at this year's Academy of Interactive Arts & Sciences D.I.C.E. Awards – including Game of the Year, Outstanding Innovation in Gaming and Character Performance. Additionally, The Last of Us also won a Writers Guild of America award for "Outstanding Achievement in Writing for Video Games" and leads nominations for the British Academy of Film and Television Video Game (BAFTA) Awards with 10.

In addition to The Last of Us, Naughty Dog recently released their first-ever story expansion, The Last of US: Left Behind, a prologue to the game's single player campaign available exclusively for the PS3.

Last edited:
Screen Gems held a panel at Comic-Con and spoke a bit about The Last of Us movie... you can read the entire Q&A here - it's a pretty interesting read, but the part that really stood out to me was that the producers have met with Maisie Williams (Arya Stark from Game of Thrones) to discuss the role of Ellie! :woot:

The studio also released this special Comic-Con limited edition poster for the film...

lastofusbanner.jpg

Reactions: tridon and lolwut
Spinoff Online covered the SDCC press conference. Here's their report:

Evil Dead creator Sam Raimi and Naughty Dog’s Neil Druckmann surprised the Hall H audience Friday at Comic-Con International in San Diego by appearing onstage to discuss Raimi’s early-in-development adaptation of the game company’s hit post-apocalyptic survival game The Last of Us. The filmmaker will serve as producer while the game creator Druckmann will write the script.

“Sam Raimi wants to meet with us, don’t geek out,” Druckmann recalled thinking when the director of the first Spider-Man series came to visit the Naughty Dog offices and discuss the possibilities of translating the game to the screen. Although Raimi was effusive in his praise of the relationship between Joel, the player character, and Ellie, the young girl he meets along his journey, Druckmann turned him down.

At that moment, Raimi was only one of several interested parties courting the game studio. Another was Screen Gems, a company willing to give Naughty Dog executives the level of control they were looking for; specifically over the script and casting. Raimi eventually found a way to become involved. “Clint Culpepper at Screen Gems gave them the power,” the producer said. “If the keys to the kingdom were in the right hands, they’re in Neil’s hands.”

“That’s why we’re here to announce it so many years early,” Raimi explained, adding that he was “super excited” to be part of the project.

He also noted that Druckmann’s involvement would set it apart from most video game adaptations, known for their generally subpar quality. “The writer of the video game is actually writing [this],” Raimi said. “[That's] the strength, so we’re going to push his talents.”

Aware of the realities involved in adapting any material to the screen, Druckmann provided Raimi an outline suggesting material from the 40-plus hour game that would have to be excised to fit a two-hour film. He also suggested a new ending. He recalled the producer was “almost pulling his hair out” during his pitch for the revised conclusion, but allowed him to complete his thoughts. Following a brief pause, he remembered Raimi immediately responding with, “Here’s what I liked about the original ending.” It led to a discussion that found Druckmann going back to original story ideas from the game.

“It’s getting more laser focused on Joel and Ellie,” the writer said of the still-in-development script. He added that “we’re going to get something that’s equally as powerful” as the game in terms of the human story … There’s so many great strengths in the game. It’s more of an editing challenge. The strength of a great film is [the] relationships and that’s the heart of the game. Our job is to push it farther.”

Druckmann was also excited to tackle new material that will take the place of the game’s fighting sequences and “glue” the existing story together.

Prodded for any early casting ideas, Druckmann admitted they had lunch with Game of Thrones star Maisie Williams. The audience cheered at the thought of her taking on the role of Ellie.

Before taking questions from the audience, Druckmann mentioned a new Uncharted game is on its way and “something” related to it will available soon. A feature film may also happen in 2016.

During the Q&A, a fan asked Raimi how he first learned about the game. The filmmaker, a fan of games, said a business partner told him about it. While he enjoyed the survival elements, he “didn’t expect to be moved” by the human portrayals. That led to his first meeting with Naughty Dog.

Asked if Raimi’s brother Ted will find his way into the film, the producer said, “I love working with Ted, but I can’t say. Neil and the director will be in the first position to cast.”

Druckmann, responding to another question, said the game’s infected antagonists will have a part to play in the film. “They apply pressure on the cast and that’s the approach on the film: How does this tell us something new about Joel and Ellie?”

When a young fan wondered if Joel’s daughter — already gone when the game begins — might appear in the movie, Druckmann said it was one of the changes he suggested in his initial outline, but Raimi encouraged him to be faithful to the opening of the game.

Druckmann told another fan that he and Raimi have discussed bringing back some the support cast to reprise their roles, but with production so far away, it may not be possible. “But there is a way to get those actors in the film,” he said.

Raimi added that recasting the parts was roughly analogous to a stage play acquiring a new cast with each revival or tour. He said, “We’ll find the best people available.”

One fan asked Raimi if the announcement was too soon in coming. “Anything else, I’d say it’s too soon,” he responded. “But I’m a fan myself and I believe this is going to be fantastic. It’s not too early.”

“There’s never been a great video game adaptation for film,” Druckmann added. “We’re going to try our hardest to do it.”

Raimi continued the point by saying making an early announcement sets a high bar of expectation and presents a terrific challenge to the filmmakers. “We’re going to rise to [the bar],” he said. “And hopefully exceed it.”

With Druckmann writing and Raimi producing, this film will be in excellent hands! The Last of Us is quite possible my favourite game ever, so while I was originally skeptical over a motion picture adaptation (the game's essentially a motion picture already), I'm now becoming quite ecstatic. :woot:

It's definitely beginning to sound more promising now. I'd actually like to see Druckmann direct as well as write the film... I think he'd do a good job, as it is his baby after all, so he'd no doubt put everything he had into it. I keep seeing rumours on Twitter about Hugh Jackman or Gerard Butler playing Joel... I think either of them would be pretty decent. Maise Williams is just an awesome choice for Ellie though!

Torn with this one half would love to see this, but then will it match the depth and feels you have compared to the feelings you get playing with them.

My Cast if I had to:

Joel: Joel Edgerton/Hugh Jackman/Brolin me personally leaning Edgerton.
Ellie: Masie Williams (If she can do the accent, not sure if she has the experience to pull it off could be wrong)/Hailee Steinfeld
Tommy: Bradley Cooper/Josh Holloway
David: Willem Dafoe/Adrien Brody
Tess: Carrie Anne Moss
Marlene: Nona Gaye
Bill: William Earl Brown (voice actor and great actor)
Henry: Donald Glover/Michael B. Jordan
Sam: Don't know guess that smith kid maybe if someone tells him to shut the hell up.
Sarah: Don't know really.

That would do me TBH.

Reactions: lolwut
Joel: Brolin!!!
Ellie: Younger Ellen Page. If they can't get her, then yeah, Hailee Steinfeld is a good choice
Tommy: Agree with Josh Holloway, and I'd like to add Nikolaj Coster-Waldau
David: John Hawkes
Tess: Agree with Carrie Anne Moss
Marlene: don't know
Bill: Agree with William Earl Brown. Obviously he has the voice, and the character design even looks like him.
Henry and Sam: Michael and Walt, obviously
Sarah: I don't know either

Casting on this should be down to actor not take the same tack as the game . A carbon copy of the game could be an epic fail . The belife in the relationships will be key to sucsess.

For the sake of a decent take on a fantastic story hope thay think about casting out of the ethnicity , gender box .

It’s been over a year since any news has come out regarding the highly-anticipated The Last of Us movie, and there’s apparently a reason behind that. Speaking with IGN, The Last of Us game director and writer of the film’s script, Neil Druckmann, revealed that the film has entered a place even Joel can’t escape from.

“I know I said in an interview a while back we had a table read, got the script to a good place and it kind of entered development hell like these things tend to do,” he said. “There hasn’t been any work done on it in over a year and a half.”

It was previously revealed that Game of Thrones star Maisie Williams was being eyed for the role of Ellie in the film, though with the film stuck in development, the actress may move on toward other projects.

Source

• Informative
Reactions: ocielz and Flloydo
It’s been over a year since any news has come out regarding the highly-anticipated The Last of Us movie, and there’s apparently a reason behind that. Speaking with IGN, The Last of Us game director and writer of the film’s script, Neil Druckmann, revealed that the film has entered a place even Joel can’t escape from.

“I know I said in an interview a while back we had a table read, got the script to a good place and it kind of entered development hell like these things tend to do,” he said. “There hasn’t been any work done on it in over a year and a half.”

It was previously revealed that Game of Thrones star Maisie Williams was being eyed for the role of Ellie in the film, though with the film stuck in development, the actress may move on toward other projects.

Source

Shame, one of the best games id played in a long time and would make a decent film if done right plus Maisie is one of my favourites in thrones and would of made a great Ellie

Reactions: Noodles
Shame, one of the best games id played in a long time and would make a decent film if done right plus Maisie is one of my favourites in thrones and would of made a great Ellie
Same man... easily one of the best stories I've ever played in a game. I like Maisie, but I haven't seen her in anything other than GoT to properly judge how good she actually is. I hear there's still movement on the Uncharted film though... not getting my hopes up for that one.

If Assassin's Creed hits, this will be fast-tracked quicker than a Batman v Superman sequel Deadpool Sequel...
;)
Haha no doubt. We'll also probably have a third Hitman reboot to look forward to then as well. :LOL:

Reactions: C.C. 95 and Flloydo
Same man... easily one of the best stories I've ever played in a game. I like Maisie, but I haven't seen her in anything other than GoT to properly judge how good she actually is. I hear there's still movement on the Uncharted film though... not getting my hopes up for that one.

Haha no doubt. We'll also probably have a third Hitman reboot to look forward to then as well. :LOL:

Saw her in C4's Cyberbully . All on her and a computer for an hour and twenty . She was messmorising .
Couldn't even blink for a fear of missing something .

Although the more it drags on even though no way dose she look 18 now Ellie is 14 . By the time something is a concrete relise she could be to old to be Ellie .

Other one I am waiting for now is Desus Ex . Get that one right and I will be one mega happy bunny .

I quite liked the 1st Hitman movie sorry can not help it I did :kiss: .

Reactions: Flloydo and Noodles
Saw her in C4's Cyberbully . All on her and a computer for an hour and twenty . She was messmorising .
Couldn't even blink for a fear of missing something .

Although the more it drags on even though no way dose she look 18 now Ellie is 14 . By the time something is a concrete relise she could be to old to be Ellie .

Other one I am waiting for now is Desus Ex . Get that one right and I will be one mega happy bunny .

I quite liked the 1st Hitman movie sorry can not help it I did :kiss: .
I never did see Cyberbully, despite liking the look of the ad I kept seeing for it on TV. Will have to track it down and give it a watch sometime.

Yeah, they'll definitely be pushing it a bit if they still want to use her for Ellie. I think Mackenzie Foy (Interstellar) would be a great Ellie... she's currently 15 though, so they'd need to get a move on!

I loved the first Hitman too, and I had high hopes for the second, but it was awful! :wtf:

I never did see Cyberbully, despite liking the look of the ad I kept seeing for it on TV. Will have to track it down and give it a watch sometime.

Yeah, they'll definitely be pushing it a bit if they still want to use her for Ellie. I think Mackenzie Foy (Interstellar) would be a great Ellie... she's currently 15 though, so they'd need to get a move on!

I loved the first Hitman too, and I had high hopes for the second, but it was awful! :wtf:

It FINALY sunk in with Jas what me and Rich had been banging on about with the internet . So well scripted and acted to make a teenager stop and think . Then agree with its perants thats an amazing feat that Noodles .

• Informative
Reactions: Flloydo and Noodles