Release date: July 4th, 2016
Purchase link: HMV
Price: £14.99
Group buy: hosted by Naughtius Maximus

The_mermaid_outside.fit-to-width.1000x1000.q80.png

The_mermaid_outside_open.fit-to-width.431x431.q80.png

The_mermaid_inside.fit-to-width.431x431.q80.png

Last edited by a moderator:
What the hell is this? Never heard of it. Looks like a fantasy film but the inside art screams weird comedy!

It's a Chinese movie, #1 box office of all time in China I believe. If you are a Stephen Chow fan (Kung Fu Hustle, Shaolin Soccer, Journey to the West), I think you will enjoy it.

It's a Chinese movie, #1 box office of all time in China I believe. If you are a Stephen Chow fan (Kung Fu Hustle, Shaolin Soccer, Journey to the West), I think you will enjoy it.

Ohh I love Kung fu hustle and him in it, I thought he did that western comedy with weird in the title. But I think I'm wrong

I'll have to check this out, is it better than splash? Lol

I dont know this movie, but I love Shaolin Soccer and Kung Fu Hustle was good too.
Same here... never heard of the film and didn't even realise it was directed by Stephen Chow until you mentioned it. I really enjoyed his other films, so will definitely check this out! Steelbook looks really nice too. :)

Reactions: dan8885
Big fan of Mermaid films including a few of the most obvious (MR. PEABODY AND THE MERMAID and the British take on it MIRANDA both from 1948 and the much loved and charming SPLASH from 1984) apart from animation (THE LITTLE MERMAID 1989 and PONYO 2008). Of course, not forgetting the "beautiful" Marina from Gerry Anderson's STINGRAY on TV.

Price is good for a new film pre-order (for a change) for an HMV exclusive even though the extras appear to be very thin on the ground - that being said, I personally wouldn't dream of paying pre-order prices for subtitled / foreign language films in steelbooks (unless it's a Horror):-

SPECIAL FEATURES:
1. THEATRICAL TRAILER 1
2. THEATRICAL TRAILER 2
3. THEATRICAL TRAILER 3
4. MV TRAILER 1
5. MV TRAILER 2
6. DELETED SCENES
7. 13-MIN-MAKING OF
8. PHOTO GALLERY

Not the best choice for the finish IMO - matte (probably) with just the title receiving spot gloss - and I feel this could have been VERY nice in a full gloss finish.

Don't know what the hell they're talking about but looks to be as much of a riot as KUNG FU HUSTLE for example :thumbs:

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone picked this up? Doesn't look like the usual Stephen Chow movie that I know and love but I'm tempted to give it a watch

Anyone picked this up? Doesn't look like the usual Stephen Chow movie that I know and love but I'm tempted to give it a watch

I picked it up today it is matte, similar finish to the other recent Sony releases and it includes a digital copy.
I will be watching it later, if it is half as good as Journey to the West then I will be pleased.
I'll take a few pics and post shortly.

• Thanks
Reactions: cooey