Jan 21, 2011
United Kingdom
Release date: June 26, 2015
Purchase links:
Amazon.com
Criterion.com
Price: 39,96$ / 32,69$

826_BD_box_348x490_original.jpg

This singular vision of early seventeenth-century America from Terrence Malick is a work of astounding elemental beauty, a poetic meditation on nature, violence, love, and civilization. It reimagines the apocryphal story of the meeting of British explorer John Smith (Colin Farrell) and Powhatan native Pocahontas (Q’orianka Kilcher, in a revelatory performance) as a romantic idyll between spiritual equals, then follows Pocahontas as she marries John Rolfe (Christian Bale) and moves to England. With production designer Jack Fisk’s raw re-creation of the Jamestown colony and Emmanuel Lubezki’s marvelous, naturally lit cinematography, The New World is a film of uncommon power and technical splendor, one that shows Malick at the height of his visual and philosophical powers.

Director-Approved Special Edition:
  • New 4K digital restoration of the 172-minute extended cut of the film, supervised by cinematographer Emmanuel Lubezki and director Terrence Malick and featuring material not released in theaters, with 5.1 surround DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack on the Blu-rays
  • High-definition digital transfers of the 135-minute theatrical cut and the 150-minute first cut of the film, supervised by Lubezki, with 5.1 surround DTS-HD Master Audio soundtracks on the Blu-rays
  • New interviews with actors Colin Farrell and Q’orianka Kilcher
  • New program about the making of the film, featuring interviews with producer Sarah Green, production designer Jack Fisk, and costume designer Jacqueline West
  • Making “The New World,” a documentary shot during the production of the film in 2004, directed and edited by Austin Jack Lynch
  • New program about the process of cutting The New World and its various versions, featuring interviews with editors Hank Corwin, Saar Klein, and Mark Yoshikawa
  • Trailers
  • PLUS: A book featuring an essay by film scholar Tom Gunning, a 2006 interview with Lubezki fromAmerican Cinematographer, and a selection of materials that inspired the production

New cover by Robert Hunt

Last edited by a moderator:
Was hoping the UK would also get this one... I really hope we get some of their Malick releases sooner or later!

Reactions: dan8885
This raised to one of my #1 wants when it was announced. This will be a beauty as a Digipack but also hard to receive it mint for me over here in Germany :squint:
I'll pick this up next when I'll order the Cassavetes Boxset along with some other Digipacks through a helpful hand who needs to repack them for me. Really excited for this release :drool::drool::drool:

How come the top and right/left edges of the title text are cut off? Is that intentional?

Looks pretty strange. Otherwise I like this edition and enjoyed this movie.