The official Oppo BDP-103 Owners thread

digitalbabe

Premium Supporter
Apr 12, 2009
USA
Oppo 103 models

Darbee and non Darbee.

Which mod kit did you buy and how do you like the player so far?

Chime in!

71G-h6Th5lL._SL1500_.jpg

I have a 103 in the bedroom and a 105 in the front room with a darbee...:LOL: Both multi region chip modified.
I will never use any other make of player.
Simply love Oppo Blu Ray players.

Built like tanks and awesome performance all round....:scat: Their not cheap here in the UK but worth every penny...IMO :p

I have a 103 in the bedroom and a 105 in the front room with a darbee...:LOL: Both multi region chip modified.
I will never use any other make of player.
Simply love Oppo Blu Ray players.

Built like tanks and awesome performance all round....:scat: Their not cheap here in the UK but worth every penny...IMO :p

which mod kit do you use?

I just installed mine. super easy install, just plug it in. bit of a hassle to changes regions, but it works....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/160942653070

I ordered one this week. Should receive the 103D next week Tues or so. It will be my first Oppo, and I plan to do some comparisons between the initial player I bought for my recent upgrades, which was Panasonic BDT500. If I don't like it, I'll return it...but for me, it was time to take 'er out for a spin myself, and see what all the commotion is about:)

Hey Ocielz, do you find that changing the region code is a pain in the ass with this one? (i do)

---------- Post added at 11:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:22 PM ----------

thanks spawn/ocielz/vlad, ordered one.

there is some other mod you can do ... not sure how much it would truly improve tho. (52 sold tho...)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Oppo-BDP-93...?pt=DVD_Players_Recorders&hash=item1c2e1275a8

Ah, i just noticed this is not a region mod, but rather, a sound/video mod. Although, i'm not sure how switching out the AC plug would improve sound/video....:dunno:

---------- Post added at 11:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:24 PM ----------

Thanks. Man that's a lot of buttons to press for a hack. More than my last player

Yeah, i'm finding that it's a pain to switch regions with this one. I'm going to search for a better region mod (if it exists.) But for $60, it does work.

Spawn, if you turn On the player using the Eject button on the control or the player itself, it won't work. If you turn on the player and then put in a disc or push any other button, that's not the region free trick, it won't work. If you Turn On With The Power Button And Do The Code And Turn It Back On using The Eject Button......it won't work. You have to do it exactly how they said, Power button > code > and power button. It took me a while to figure what I was doing wrong, but now all is good.

Also makes sure you take off the Dongle when you upgrade your firmware. When it finishes updating then place it back on.

Reactions: spawnshop
Spawn, if you turn On the player using the Eject button on the control or the player itself, it won't work. If you turn on the player and then put in a disc or push any other button, that's not the region free trick, it won't work. If you Turn On With The Power Button And Do The Code And Turn It Back On using The Eject Button......it won't work. You have to do it exactly how they said, Power button > code > and power button. It took me a while to figure what I was doing wrong, but now all is good.

Also makes sure you take off the Dongle when you upgrade your firmware. When it finishes updating then place it back on.

Yeah, i seemed to figure this out after about a half hour....:hilarious: I had to follow the instructions to the "T" to get it to work. UK Drive was my first region change viewing.

But, do I have to go into the settings menu and turn on/off the auto resume every time?
Or is it literally, turn the power on, dimmer, dimmer, dimmer, mute, #, power off?
I've only gotten it to work while doing it in the settings menu, not the home menu.

Regardless, it does work. Seems a roundabout way to me, and knowing this now, i may have opted for factory region free version. I love the player, and this button trick seems to be the way every region mod works (that i could find online anyway).

I found this new Jailbreak Firmware auction on ebay:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=251456960539

I have a few questions in, like, void warranty? auto select or enter code? etc....
but looks like the most promising for hassle free region free playback.
Just $10 more then the mod chip

Got some answers - this may be the one to get! :scat:

Does this jailbreak void the warranty?---no, you can update oppo firmare when you want after updating jailbreak.
Do I have to enter a code to change regions or is it automatic?----region free automatic
Does the USB stick have to stay in all the time? ---The USB stick keeping in the player when it work.
Can I use the USB stick in the back of the player?---Any USB port is .ok in the player
If no USB is in, will the player still function?----yes, but it can support region free and ISO file.

Reactions: ocielz
That's Great!! I'll stick to my first Dongle :) I haven't had any issues with it so I'm fine, All region locked disc's have played Flawlessly:scat:

Yeah, mine works fine too....i just like the ease of this one. I might pick one up.

if you pick it up and it works lmk. Thing is it seems more like just for playing ISO files ... on that auction descrip at one point it said does not change the region code of bd continue using region hack. Confusing to say the least....

if you pick it up and it works lmk. Thing is it seems more like just for playing ISO files ... on that auction descrip at one point it said does not change the region code of bd continue using region hack. Confusing to say the least....

Shoot, you're right - it says ISO only, not disc. :ugh: Not worth it for me then.
Thanks for pointing that out!

hmmmmm, confusing auction.
I wrote the seller again to double check if it region free the discs too. his answer:

it supports region free for DVD and bluray disc

so it may still be worth a go

Well. The Panasonic BDP-300 3D has served me well, but today said hello to a new friend. Here it is, thanks to Earthscope for pointing me in the direction.

Oppo 105D Multi Region

rw5lgjs.jpg

UwJjMcT.jpg

tneByXI.jpg

I took a few screenshots. Love the picture on this connected to the THX panny. :D

Caq4GBR.jpg

Also for those wondering if the Darbee feature is worth it. I took a few comparison shots. Normal first, Darbee second. After tweaking and tweaking, these are my optimized final results.

Hope you like.

BdN9W8D.jpg

CU1PkZv.jpg

7HagtJg.jpg

d13gr0u.jpg

fbpS25M.jpg

6nfaLkH.jpg

BPZ7yWN.jpg

LBymXEJ.jpg

eUzF6XE.jpg

bX8G98j.jpg

WQJOHiS.jpg

ayw2ipQ.jpg

B4AlMsP.jpg

sIbOpWm.jpg

ReQqumL.jpg
gxxnyU0.jpg

And on full pop (Red) at a setting of around 55-60 animated films look 3D!! :p :naughty:
Only on animation though!!
Glad your happy ric. :thumbs: It's a beauty and built like a Tank. ;)

Reactions: ricster