The Official Oppo BDP-93 Universal 3D Network Blu-Ray Disc Player Thread

digitalbabe

Premium Supporter
Apr 12, 2009
USA
Feel free to post any questions/updates regarding this player here.

31zY8RWe3lL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004BLK24S/?tag=hidefnin-20

https://www.hidefninja.com/2011/01/04/oppo-bdp-93-universal-network-blu-ray-3d-player/

Last edited by a moderator:
When you guys plug in your mod chip in the back does it automatically make your Oppo region free? When I plugged mine in it didn't and according to the sellers site it states that it should be region free. Instead I had to click
Dimmer Dimmer Dimmer Mute then click either 1, 2 or 3 for 1=Region A, 2=Region B & 3=Region C
Once I hard set it with the above code for Region B it worked. Do you guys have to do the same or are you guys' Region Free right off the bat? Because if it's not working right I need to get it replaced by a new one or something. Also, I have the latest firmware too. Anyways, LMK guys. Oh, by the way, This thing rocks. :drool: Thanks

UPDATE: NVM, It appears to be region free now. I don't know how I did it but it is. Man this is a bad-ass Blu-ray player. I guess for $500 it damn well better be.

Last edited:
Reactions: enstielykath
Acid,

Do you happen to have The Devil's Double HMV? I cannot get this title to work on my Oppo 93 and was curious if you or others that have the same disc are able to play it or not.

Also, from your post above, I am curious if you have to change the Regions back and forth depending on the disc? That's how mine works with the dimmer, dimmer, dimmer, mute + region (1,2,3). Thanks for any assistance you can offer and enjoy the player!

bgmat, sorry to say that I don't own the Devil's Double yet. Are you sure that you have the latest firmware?

As for the Regions, yes I do have to change my regions manually. The guy that sold me the mod that I bought off eBay said that it's suppose to be Region Free but it's evidently not. So if I want to switch from Region A to Region B I would have to click dimmer, dimmer, dimmer, mute, 2 and the same thing for switching back to Region A but clicking a 1 instead of a 2.

Yes, mine works the same way. It is region free though essentially. There is another mod for the 93 where you put in any disc and it automatically switches the region but it is much more expensive ($180 or so) I figured it wasn't worth the extra $$ and do not regret it. It is annoying sometimes when I forget to switch it back to A and have to go through the whole song and dance and turning it off and on but I am happy to not have region worries any longer!

As to my FW, I updated it with the newest one around 3 or 4 weeks ago. Funny thing is my region B Akira used to work before the latest FW, now with the new FW installed the Akira BD no longer works!! I want to see Devil's Double soo bad! :ohno: Thanks for your help! Anyone else feel free to chime in on any difficulties you have playing certain titles on the 93.

I had a disturbing experience from my Oppo BDP-93 where I thought that it could no longer play 3D movies. As soon as my HDTV would switch into 3D mode I would lose all functionality of the Oppo remote.

It first happened when I tried to play my Underworld Awakening [CA] edition steelbook. I was like 'Oh great, my player is broke'. But it wouldn't do it on non-3D movies, just 3D movies. So I thought the 3D went out in it.

I emailed the Oppo support center, on a Memorial day weekend no less and they responded back pretty quick to tell me this...

Eject any disc in the player then go into Video Setup and change your 3D Mode from AUTO to FORCED. This will make the player output 3D regardless of any HDMI handshakes.

Try moving the player to a location that is not directly underneath or to the side of the player. When the player is outputting a 3D signal to your television, your television will then flood the room with IR in order to sync the glasses. Depending on how much IR interference there is in the room, this may reduce or remove the ability of the player to receive IR commands from the supplied OPPO remote.

Sure enough, my HDTV was flooding the room with IR and my Oppo was directly underneath it and that's what it was. Too bad Oppo couldn't have found a way around this caveat. I don't know why more 3D players don't jump on the Blutooth frequency like the PS3 remote and do away with this issue.

Anyways if anyone else has this issue then you will now know why.

I never tried the 3D function on this player until today.
I have a 3D TV and earlier today i tried it. Put a 3D movie into the player and it says: This 3D disc requires a compatible 3D HDTV & blue ray 3D player or a bluray player that has been upgraded with the necessary firmware to allow 3D film playback.

Well a firmware.....shouldn't this be "online" from the beginning....
If it's not the firmware, what could it be ?

I never tried the 3D function on this player until today.
I have a 3D TV and earlier today i tried it. Put a 3D movie into the player and it says: This 3D disc requires a compatible 3D HDTV & blue ray 3D player or a bluray player that has been upgraded with the necessary firmware to allow 3D film playback.

Well a firmware.....shouldn't this be "online" from the beginning....
If it's not the firmware, what could it be ?

Go into your setting and then Video Setup and then 3D Mode and switch it to Forced. See if that will help. :)

Go into your setting and then Video Setup and then 3D Mode and switch it to Forced. See if that will help. :)

Did that first earlier today after reading your words from may-2012 , #26, but no luck :angry:

But after "reset factory defaults" and a firmware-update it's just like magic that appeared before my eyes. It was Hugo that broke this players 3D virginity :D

Thanks anyway for your reply earlier :notworthy:

Does anyone who own this player use a RFC232 cable splitter ? I already have connected my universal remote control kit to the RFC port and want to add the region Free Mod kit now. Only way I could do is using a 2-1 splitter. However; the region free kit doesnt work this way. Had to keep switching between these to make them work and its kind of frustrating. Any suggestion would be great.