tridon

Est. 2011
Dec 5, 2011
Thunder Bay
RELEASE DATE: Jan. 19, 2014
PRICE (at time of posting): $24.99
ORDER: Amazon

image.jpg

Featuring 25 of the greatest old dark house mysteries from the golden age of cinema presented on one bumper SD Blu-ray (480i).

SD* Blu-Ray (480i) Disc features: (1) And Then There Were None (1945) (2) Cat and the Canary (1927) (3) One Frightened Night (4) Topper Returns (5) The House on Haunted Hill (1959) Rogues Tavern (6) Fog Island (1945) (7) Black Raven (8) The Ghost Train (9) Crooked Circle (10) Charlie Chan's Secret (11) The Ghoul (1933) (12) The Gorilla (14) Tangled Destinies (15) The Moonstone (16) The Monster Walks (17) Bulldog Drummond's Secret Police (18) The Door With Seven Locks (19) Murder By Invitation (20) The Ghost Walks (21) One Body Too Many (22) House Of Mystery (23) Thirteenth Guest (24) The Bat (1926) (25) The Terror (1938) * NOTE: All features contained are presented on this SD Blu-ray in 480i.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Sigill and cbs777
I would be interested to see the quality of these films with so many on one disc.

I have the Wu-Tang Kung-fu collection with 25 movies on the one disc, some movies definitely looked better then others, but they are all watchable. But with these being older movies from the 20's through the 60's I would like to see the quality as well, I think I will wait for an eventual price drop. I'm a sucker for these old kind of movies.

I have the Wu-Tang Kung-fu collection with 25 movies on the one disc, some movies definitely looked better then others, but they are all watchable. But with these being older movies from the 20's through the 60's I would like to see the quality as well, I think I will wait for an eventual price drop. I'm a sucker for these old kind of movies.

Yeah i imagine they will be a mixed bag. 2gb per film doesn't seem to be a lot of space for a movie but I guess at this price they aren't going to look fantastic.

Yes, it certainly is a mixed bag PG and AQ wise and some are more "creaky" than others . . . definitely.

Out of the 4 collections of this type that I've bought in recent years #1 has the best content (IMO).

1) ULTIMATE HORROR CLASSICS COLLECTION - still @GBP 12.97 all in ("1 sold, 4 available" on the bay) - worth the price alone for the marvellously atmospheric and creepy CARNIVAL OF SOULS and CITY OF THE DEAD.
THE GHOUL has since had a proper BD release from Network.
The original SWEENEY TODD and THE MOST DANGEROUS GAME are great fun too.
The only major issue I remember from the collection is with one of the better films - THE FLESH AND THE FIENDS - which is unfortunately presented in the wrong aspect ratio (which I was unable to correct) which made it unwatchable (for me).

2) ULTIMATE SHOCKFEST - still @GBP 9.97 all in ("1 sold, 4 available") - maybe not such a "good" collection because quite a few on here (unlike with #1) are also available in proper HD - in either U.K. editions or U.S. region free editions with the superb HORROR EXPRESS and OASIS OF THE ZOMBIES my personal favourites and both bought since as RF U.S. imports.
CITY OF THE DEAD makes another appearance here.
3) THE OLD DARK HOUSE - still available @GBP 9.97 all in ("2 sold, 3 available") and the "creakiest" of the bunch with TOPPER RETURNS my personal favourite.
THE GHOUL from #1 makes another appearance here.

4) ATTACK OF THE B's - definitely the most fun of all the compilations but unfortunately n/a at this time so no further comment necessary.

All play on my region "B" player.

EDIT: CITY OF THE DEAD coming in a couple of weeks to Blu-ray in The States - hoping for a region free presentation.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sigill