The "OMG the price is high on Ebay, etc!!!" thread

What is your spending limit for Steelbooks?

• I plead the 5th!

Votes: 14 2.6%
  • Under $100 for sealed "Rare" Steelbook

Votes: 145 26.7%
  • Under $50 for any Steelbook

Votes: 139 25.6%
  • Over $100 for sealed, "Rare" Steelbook

Votes: 71 13.1%
  • I'll spend ANY amount to get a missing Steelbook for my collection!

Votes: 26 4.8%
  • It depends on the Steelbook-I decide at the time of purchase

Votes: 199 36.6%

• Total voters

digitalbabe

Premium Supporter
Apr 12, 2009
USA
So, we have the "Fake" and "Steelbook Price Drop" thread, but we don't yet have the thread where you post listings with "crazy" prices for Steelbooks. If you see any, post them here and have fun debating. As per forum rules, please remain respectful with each other-one person's "high price", could be another's "deal of a lifetime" score. Enjoy! :scat:

Please keep discussion to Ebay and other retailers, not private sellers.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fr...steelbooks.TRS0.TSS0&_nkw=steelbooks&_sacat=0 steelbooks

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=steelbooks&_sacat=0 steelbooks UK

Last edited by a moderator:
As someone who has tried to complain to ebay about my photographs being used by other people, I can tell you it's a nightmare. You have to "prove" it's your photograph. Easier said than done. I was made to jump through hops a few years back when I complained about someone and in the end I give up as it just dragged on for months. Ebay were as much use as a fart in a spacesuit. And yes the seller was a con artist, that I found out later from other people. I only was aware of this person because a mate recognised the photograph and flagged it up to me. When I contacted the guy directly he just said "Prove it". Clearly he was used to ripping off people and getting away with it.

I bet you didn't watermark those photos...
Watermark them, much easier to prove they're yours that way. Make the watermark clearly visible yet not too distracting, if possible.

I would like to share with you guys one of my recent ebay purchases with a dishonest and stupid seller aka crook.

Message 1

New message from: ericthered66 (5,197)

Hello I am really sorry to hear that you have found problems with the steelbook & are unhappy with it.

Obviously I thought it was in excellent condition when I sent it or I would not have put it up for sale but I am old & my eyes are not as good as they once were.

Please accept my apologies I will respond to your return request right now & issue a full refund. I have never had a return so this is all new to me but hopefully eBay's instructions are easy to follow (I suffered head trauma in an accident so can struggle with stuff like this). I will be in touch in a little while to let you know how I got on.

Kind regards,
Paul.

Message 2

New message from: ericthered66 (5,198)
Yeah I'm gutted for both of us it's really knocked me back, the last thing I wanted was to disappoint you & cause you hassle. I don't think I'll bother selling any more steelbooks there's no way I will notice that stuff with my eyesight the way it is. I'm waiting for a cataract operation so I just can't focus on stuff & glasses just make the problem worse, maybe I will think about it after the op. I really don't want to keep disappointing people that trust me. If it wasn't for my health causing me to move I wouldn't be selling I would still be collecting. Thanks for the compliment on the packaging I appreciate it, I bought new boxes/bubble wrap & packed every item with care cos I remembered how bad I felt 10 years ago when Play.com, Amazon & HMV just sent them out in jiffy's or loose in boxes.

I will let you know when it has been delivered & sort out the refund straight away. I'll phone ebay or paypal on monday so I know exactly what I need to do & don't keep you waiting.

Message 3 the cherry on top lol

New message from: ericthered66 (5,199)
I want you to know that I have received the parcel you sent me today and there is nothing in the box so I basically signed for an empty box. This is not acceptable.

I am sending this e-mail to record that I have not received back my " HE DARK KNIGHT JAPANESE EXCLUSIVE 'JOKER' WHITE COVER BLU-RAY STEELBOOK - RARE" and so I will not refund your money.

With this e-mail, let ebay know and be on record that you have not returned my item despite me providing you the shipping label for return.

I will also be involving the local authorities on this.

Okay break this down straight away when this dude coming with his sob story and pretending like he does not know how to use ebay and he has over 5000 feedback pull the other one. The blatant lie though could not be more stupid a empty dvd size box with nothing inside would have no weight to it, as soon as you hold it you would know that muchless sign for the thing, not to mention it would weigh nothing an post office scale and as we all know the weight is printed an the royal mail receipt after i uploaded a picture of the receipt never heard from him again and spoke to ebay case was shut down and refunded and he still ask ebay to step in and got my refund even quicker cause he done that.

Lesson of the story here you just do not know who these people are you buying from even when they come off genuine they could still be a wolf in sheeps clothing like this scumbag here. People shop smart and wise out there. Stay away from this scum as well. Left negative feedback and check back and its not there his profile showing 100 percent and who knows if all those feedback are genuine.

Selling steelbooks on ebay is a double edge knife.

On one hand its probably the most common place someone would go to look to buy something and because of this you're likely to get more interest from people all over the World as opposed to somewhere niche like HDN and because of that get a better price for your item.
On the other hand ebays rules and regs basically protect buyers hands down and as a seller you get screwed.

There is nothing stopping someone arranging a return and sending an empty box back as long as its got a tracking code saying it was delivered, there is nothing stopping someone saying they either never received a package if it was sent untracked or received an empty box if it was tracked.

I had one guy last year buy a Man of Steel Manta full slip edition from me, it was open and mint as sold. The guy received it and left positive feedback... hours later starts a return as its dented on the front cover of the steel...not something you'd miss when you initially check it over and something you'd defo not leave positive feedback for. Despite all this ebay sided with him and I had to refund upon return... what I suspect happened was he purchased it and then either damaged it himself accidently or swapped it with his damaged steel then initiated the forced refund. Luckily I filed a claim with Royal Mail and got a refund cause if by some miracle it did arrive damaged it must have been caused in transit...

Suffice to say, it's a risky game with ebay. Most of the time it's fine but can prove to be very costly and ebay just don't want to know

• Thanks
Reactions: razr24788
eBay is dogshit if you're a seller. Haven't used it for a long time. So overly biased towards buyers it's untrue. I'd rather throw my steel books away than give some scrote a freebie.

I had one guy last year buy a Man of Steel Manta full slip edition from me, it was open and mint as sold. The guy received it and left positive feedback... hours later starts a return as its dented on the front cover of the steel...not something you'd miss when you initially check it over and something you'd defo not leave positive feedback for. Despite all this ebay sided with him and I had to refund upon return... what I suspect happened was he purchased it and then either damaged it himself accidently or swapped it with his damaged steel then initiated the forced refund. Luckily I filed a claim with Royal Mail and got a refund cause if by some miracle it did arrive damaged it must have been caused in transit...

With steelbooks I take detailed pictures beside the paper of the day I"m posting. So say I'll going to post on the 1st June I take pictures of the steelbook beside a copy of say that days Daily Mail, various angles and then package it. Again beside that days paper and then post it. So the posting date and packaging match. Very very hard to try that stunt when you go to that much effort. I also make a point of showing the amount of packing being wrapped round the steelbook.

With steelbooks I take detailed pictures beside the paper of the day I"m posting. So say I'll going to post on the 1st June I take pictures of the steelbook beside a copy of say that days Daily Mail, various angles and then package it. Again beside that days paper and then post it. So the posting date and packaging match. Very very hard to try that stunt when you go to that much effort. I also make a point of showing the amount of packing being wrapped round the steelbook.

Unfortunately it doesn’t how many photos you take. If you have a scammer on the other end you are pretty much doomed.

They can just say you sent them something else or an item that arrived damaged. Very hard to prove it wasn’t damaged on arrival or you sent them a damaged item. Ebay will favour the buyer unless the buyer has history of the same complaints.

• Thanks
Reactions: Covcraig
But before I post the item I let the buyer know what i have done and that email is recorded for ebay to check. I even send them a couple of photos with the email as proof. In other words I politely let the buyer know I'm on to any scams they may try and I know them all. In 12 years I have had 4 people try it on with me from it wasn't delivered to the house or it was damaged in the post. I won every time. Ebay voted in my favour and having a 100% positive feedback over that period certainly helps.

But before I post the item I let the buyer know what i have done and that email is recorded for ebay to check. I even send them a couple of photos with the email as proof. In other words I politely let the buyer know I'm on to any scams they may try and I know them all. In 12 years I have had 4 people try it on with me from it wasn't delivered to the house or it was damaged in the post. I won every time. Ebay voted in my favour and having a 100% positive feedback over that period certainly helps.

I am very surprised you win all the times on item arrived damaged. You are very lucky.

Reactions: Wreck
Here we have the seller danger mouse doing the classic copy and paste of another ebayers photos. Genuine listing been up for a while now buy it now price and shows all steelbooks as opened like new condition. Danger mouse comes along I will have some of that list them as new and sealed perfect condition and crop the hell out of the images. These guys out here are something else no shame dam con artists. Screenshot_20180608-034622_eBay.jpg Screenshot_20180608-034640_eBay.jpg

392071784201 - Ebay listing.

Why are 11 people watching this at that price! What a joke and completely not what this collection community is about. I know this topic is brought up time after time and I don't want to derail this thread but jeez! Its a hobby not a freaking way of earning a living! :mad::mad::mad:

392071784201 - Ebay listing.

Why are 11 people watching this at that price! What a joke and completely not what this collection community is about. I know this topic is brought up time after time and I don't want to derail this thread but jeez! Its a hobby not a freaking way of earning a living! :mad::mad::mad:

Yeah I saw that one today as well and I´m watching it just out of curiosity If it sell or not, probably same as the other watchers :) this price is truly ridiculous, this seller usually has over the top prices.....

• Thanks
Reactions: ChrisPatt
Yeah I saw that one today as well and I´m watching it just out of curiosity If it sell or not, probably same as the other watchers :) this price is truly ridiculous, this seller usually has over the top prices.....

Yeah its obviously not very collector like is it i mean yeah wack 10 or 15 on top of what you paid but that is just ridiculous

• Thanks
Reactions: Hereticz
The prices for some Thor 1 steelbooks are crazy. Not one of the best MCU movies. I need the zavvi lenticular magnet version and Blufans lenti...the prices are insane, and only seem to go higher. Don't think I'll ever get them.

giphy.gif

• Haha
Reactions: PunkNinja