Feb 12, 2012
UK
Release date: September 10, 2018
Purchase links: Amazon - Zavvi - Hmv
Price: £17.99

81hrqllvGAL._SL1500_.jpg

81zMi3+8ZpL._SL1500_.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
It's always tough when there's a steelbook for a movie that already has a Criterion release. And when the cover art is kind of bland, and the director's name is misspelled... :(

Such a great film, though.

It should be pointed out that the Red Shoes UK pressing and Criterion pressing are one and the same as ITV studio did the restoration like A Night To Remember, Criterion used the ITV master of both.

• Helpful Post
Reactions: ethnosax
It should be pointed out that the Red Shoes UK pressing and Criterion pressing are one and the same as ITV studio did the restoration like A Night To Remember, Criterion used the ITV master of both.
That's helpful information--thanks! So will this disc have a different selection of special features? And is it likely to be Region B?

• Haha
Reactions: paulboland
Extras are different
Criterion release has better extras

Can't decide if I like that artwork or not... I'm a big fan of minimalism, but I think this may be a little too simple. Either way, it's great to see ITV releasing some steels!

Extras are different
Criterion release has better extras

For a lot of people the extras aren't important just the main feature and in that respect they are the same pressing. Why pay £30 for The Criterion pressing when you can pay £5 for the ITV studio pressing which is identical.

For a lot of people the extras aren't important just the main feature and in that respect they are the same pressing. Why pay £30 for The Criterion pressing when you can pay £5 for the ITV studio pressing which is identical.
A lot of people view extras and often purchase a release if it has new or better extras
This why distributors like Criterion/Arrow Films/Scream Factory do their releases

I have purchased myself a lot of releases purley for new extras and packaging differences

Some releases extras are better than a film itself

• Thanks
Reactions: ethnosax
Criterion have more respect for the material in the way they promote and present it. They would never use this irrelevant (and tacky) pop art for what is supposed to be a classic film.

The typo just hammers in the final nail in the coffin for this steelbook

Spot the mistake in the spelling on the design

Cressburger !
Should be pressburger
P & P or C & C?
giphy.gif

Well, we've had a RED SPARROW, a RED TURTLE, a THIN RED LINE, even a RED VS. BLUE so a RED SHOES steelbook should feel welcome. ..

… and just like London buses you wait ages for one and then three or four come along at the same time … and, yes, it's been a long while since an ITV Studios bus came down the street … without double checking I think there've only been 3 previous ITV Studios steelbooks:-
1) COMPANY OF WOLVES (October, 2012)
2) THE SHAWSHANK REDEMPTION (ditto)
3) THE LIFE AND DEATH OF COLONEL BLIMP (ditto)

For future ITV Studios steelbook wants I'd sell a kidney for GREAT EXPECTATIONS and less important parts of my body for BRIEF ENCOUNTER, THE AFRICAN QUEEN, A NIGHT TO REMEMBER, THE THIRTY NINE STEPS and THE BOYS FROM BRAZIL.

As for THE RED SHOES steelbook: I think it's simplicity of design and strong colours are brilliant … nothing wishy-washy here.