The Texas Chain Saw Massacre (1974) - 40th Anniversary Restoration (Blu-ray SteelBook) (Second Sight Films) [UK]

snooloui

The 'Negative' Ninja
Premium Supporter
Feb 12, 2012
UK
Release date: November 17th, 2014
Purchase links:
Amazon.co.uk
Base.com
Entertainment Store
Zavvi.com
Notes: Discs locked to region B.

91ZJgpihDqL._SY679_.jpg

Brand new bonus features:
- New audio commentary with Director Tobe Hooper
- New audio commentary with Cinematographer Daniel Pearl, Sound Recordist Ted Nicolaou and Editor J. Larry Carroll
- Cutting Chain Saw with Editor J. Larry Carroll
- Grandpa s Tales with actor John Dugan
- Horror s Hallowed Grounds
- New deleted scenes / outtakes

Additional bonus features:
- Audio commentary with Tobe Hooper, Actor Gunnar Hansen, Cinematographer Daniel Pearl
- Audio commentary with Actors Marilyn Burns, Allen Danziger, and Paul A. Partain and Production Designer Robert Burns
- The Shocking Truth documentary plus outtakes
- Flesh Wounds - Seven Stories of The Saw
- Off The Hook with Teri McMinn
- The Business of Chain Saw with Production Manager Ron Bozman
- A Tour of The TCSM House with Gunnar Hansen
- Tobe Hooper interview
- Kim Henkel interview
- Deleted scenes and outtakes, trailers, TV and Radio spots

Last edited:
I was hoping for october, but i aint gonna complain :woot: Looking forwrd to the art, which i hope is awesome. Even better if sombody can perswade SS to put some real effort into the steel itself ....like some nice embossing & gloss :drool:

Placed a Pre-order with Zavvi for now but will see if amazon.uk price will be better or if I get a discount code to use and the price also drops

Note
Zavvi they keep forgetting the cut off date for pre-orders with second sight and this results in them not getting any stock until a few weeks after release date as they have to submit a new stock order when release date arrives as Second Sight wont ship any stock before release date if you miss their cut off dates
Hopefully they will have put their order in time with this release so they can despatch for release date but all previous pre-orders they missed the cut of dates with Second Sight

Last edited:
You guys are wrong. There has already been a 4K trailer and someone took the screen shots from that and made a comparison with the current/old Blu-rays. Even the compressed YouTube trailer has more detail than the Blu-ray, so the 4K will be a revelation.

well, i watched the trailer, and i'm even more sure that i am right. the trailer looks de-grained and softened, and then maybe they added some digitally rendered "new" detail that has not been there in the original version. that's not a restoration, that's digital alteration.
like i said before, TCM was always supposed to look dirty, grainy and gritty. it's not 4K material, it's 16mm grindhouse cinema. in my opinion, the only thing worse would be a 3D version.

Will Zavvi and other companies ever take advantage of Halloween? It seems like a perfect sales time period to release these horror movies but they seem to release them after or nowhere near the occasion...

well, i watched the trailer, and i'm even more sure that i am right. the trailer looks de-grained and softened, and then maybe they added some digitally rendered "new" detail that has not been there in the original version. that's not a restoration, that's digital alteration.
like i said before, TCM was always supposed to look dirty, grainy and gritty. it's not 4K material, it's 16mm grindhouse cinema. in my opinion, the only thing worse would be a 3D version.

Well I've seen the screenshot comparisons of the trailer vs. the Blu-ray, and the trailer has more detail. For you to just guess that they added CGI detail is misinformed nonsense to be spreading around. It's a 4K scan, of course it has more detail. I don't think we can link to the other forum, but if you search the thread there for "trailer" I'm sure you'll find them.

Reactions: severo
An update from Second Sight's Facebook page:
RELEASE DATE NEWS; We will be releasing THE TEXAS CHAIN SAW MASSACRE 40TH ANNIVERSARY RESTORATION on 17th November 2014.

The release will be a 2 disc Blu-ray Steelbook with newly-commissioned artwork. Full details of extras will follow next week.

A few people have asked if the Zavvi pre-order page is our release, and we can confirm that it is.

• Informative
Reactions: rover and justboy
Still waiting for this to appear on Amazon.co.uk. I resent having to give Zavvi my money for a non-exclusive SteelBook if I don't really have to. Amazon are so lazy when it comes to listing new SteelBooks, yet at the other extreme they're quick to shoot their load when it comes to listing other retailer's exclusives :D

From Second Sight Facebook
RELEASE NEWS
We will now be releasing THE TEXAS CHAIN SAW MASSACRE 40TH ANNIVERSARY RESTORATION in standard Blu-ray packaging as well as a Limited Edition Steelbook. Both will be released on 17th November. All content will be identical, ...and here are the full details;

Disc 1
New 4k transfer from the original 16mm A/B rolls.
New 7.1 surround audio mix supervised by Tobe Hooper, 5.1 surround, 2.0 stereo, 1.0 original mono.
New Audio commentary with Tobe Hooper.
New audio commentary with cinematographer Daniel Pearl, sound recordist Ted Nicolaou, and editor J. Larry Carroll.
Audio commentary with Tobe Hooper, actor Gunnar Hansen, cinematographer Daniel Pearl.
Audio commentary with actors Marilyn Burns, Allen Danziger, and Paul A. Partain, and production designer Robert Burns.

Disc 2
‘Cutting Chain Saw’ with Editor J. Larry Carroll.
New deleted scenes and outtakes.
Horror’s Hallowed Grounds: TCSM.
‘The Shocking Truth’ documentary plus outtakes.
‘Flesh Wounds: Seven Stories of The Saw’.
A Tour of the TCSM House with Gunnar Hansen.
‘Off The Hook’ with Teri McMinn.
‘The Business of Chain Saw’ – with Production Manager Ron Bozman.
‘Grandpa’s Tales’ with actor John Dugan.
Tone Hooper interview.
Kim Henkel interview.
Deleted scenes and outtakes, trailers, TV and Radio spots

Same extras as the US release.

If I can get the Steelbook for around £16 (same price I've got the US editon pre-ordered for) then I'll get it