Horror-Arrow-Limited Ed The Thing (Blu-ray) (Arrow Video) [UK]

paulboland

Contributor Steels/Arrow
Contributor
Premium Supporter
Sep 10, 2012
Navan/Ireland
Release Date: October 23rd , 2017
Purchase Links: Arrow Films (Sold Out) - Amazon UK - Zavvi - HMVhttps://www.zavvi.com/blu-ray/the-thing-limited-edition/11515183.html
Price: £17.99 (Arrow) - £19.99 (Amazon - Zavvi - Hmv)
Notes: Limited to 6,000

20106440_1625831920784129_6312207597767063424_n.jpg

Last edited:
Lets be honest why would you bother with a 4k scan unless you are planning a 4k disc and since Arrow could have just used Shout factory's, it's makes me think they are up to something seriously awesome.

Lets be honest why would you bother with a 4k scan unless you are planning a 4k disc and since Arrow could have just used Shout factory's, it's makes me think they are up to something seriously awesome.

A lot of previous arrow video releases have been a 4K scan including recent releases and just announced pre orders
Arrow films not done any 4K UHD Blu-ray yet but most likely will when more of the public have upgraded to 4K TV and 4K UHD Blu-ray in next few years

The amount of customers who have 4K TV and 4K UHD Blu-ray players is very small compared to 1080p TV and Standard 2D/3D Blu-ray players

You will just have to wait until 4K UHD Blu-ray is mainstream and in most homes and cost of doing 4K UHD Blu-ray discs drops for independent distributors

Last edited:
Reactions: C.C. 95
Yes but the point i"m making is that Arrow could have just used the Shout one and saved themselves a lot of money. The fact that they are going for a 4k scan is very very significant

Yes but the point i"m making is that Arrow could have just used the Shout one and saved themselves a lot of money. The fact that they are going for a 4k scan is very very significant
Arrow been doing 4K scan with lot of their releases nothing unusual about them doing this

You will simply have to wait for arrow to start doing 4K UHD Blu-ray when it's in more homes
The cost for a independent distributors to do 4K UHD Discs is lot more than it is for mainstream distributors like Warner/Fox/Sony

4K UHD Sales might be good for a new format but it's still very low compared standard Blu-ray sales
You need to have large % of the population to have 4K TV and 4K UHD Blu-ray in their homes before you will see all distributors start doing 4K UHD Blu-ray releases

The cost of a release with 4K UHD Blu-ray is lot more so very risky for a independent distributor to provide 4K UHD Blu-ray when the amount of customers not upgraded yet to 4K TV's is a lot

As more customers upgrade to 4K TV's distributors will start to increase the amount of 4K UHD Blu-ray releases
There is not enough at the moment to start mass producing 4K UHD Discs especially for independent distributors

Sales of a release would suffer at the moment if it included a 4K UHD Disc for 2 reasons a lot of customers not having the equipment to play the 4K UHD discs and higher cost of the release if it included a 4K UHD Disc

Would it suffer?. I could see loads of people (me included) buying a premium blu-ray/4k steelbook even though I can't play 4k yet. Do a run of say 3000 for the steelbook and just have the special non-steel edition as a combo blu-ray/dvd. Everyone wins and I'm sure it would do the Arrow coffers no harm at all

Would it suffer?. I could see loads of people (me included) buying a premium blu-ray/4k steelbook even though I can't play 4k yet. Do a run of say 3000 for the steelbook and just have the special non-steel edition as a combo blu-ray/dvd. Everyone wins and I'm sure it would do the Arrow coffers no harm at all
FYI- 4K scans were being done for Blu ray long before there was a 4K UHD delivery system. It's about have the best possible transfer from the elements.

I know that. But its got to the stage where too many films are coming out on blu-ray and DVD only when a 4k scan has been done and people like me are wondering "Why not a blu-ray/4k combo. A few have come out so it can be done.

I know that. But its got to the stage where too many films are coming out on blu-ray and DVD only when a 4k scan has been done and people like me are wondering "Why not a blu-ray/4k combo. A few have come out so it can be done.
Well, the hard truth is that MANY people still buy DVDs (i know, I know) and the 4k market is still a small niche within a niche. (4K steelbook would be a niche within a niche within a niche!).
So the Blu ray/DVD combo is still more viable from a production and business point of view than a Blu ray/4K combo. Although, we shall see if that particular combo might take the place of the Blu ray/3D blu ray combo if they decide to stop making those with the announcement of the suspension of new 3D televisions.

• Brand new restoration from a 4K scan of the original negative, supervised and approved by director John Carpenter and director of photography Dean Cundey
• High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) presentation
• Original Mono and DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1
• Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
• Audio commentary by John Carpenter and actor Kurt Russell
• Who Goes There? In Search of The Thing – an all-new feature length documentary produced by Ballyhoo Motion Pictures exploring the history of The Thing, from the original novella to John Carpenter's terrifying science fiction classic. Featuring new interviews with the cast and crew, as well as authors, historians, and critics
• 1982: One Amazing Summer – an all-new retrospective documentary produced by Ballyhoo Motion Pictures about the unforgettable films released in the summer of 1982
• John Carpenter's The Thing: Terror Takes Shape – archive documentary on the background and production of the film
• Vintage Featurettes
• Outtakes
• Behind-the-Scenes
• Trailers, Teasers, TV and Radio Spots
• Still Galleries
• Poster
• Lobby Cards
• Book containing new writing on the film
• Newly commissioned artwork by Gary Pullin

Arrow Films Website is down at the moment

Amazon UK not live yet
It was live on Amazon earlier but showed as unavailable quite quickly. Some folks were able to order at £29.99. I ordered through Zavvi anyway, both steel and Ltd Ed Blu-ray at £17.99 each with discount code. Only thing that worries me with Zavvi is their shipping methods... :cautious:

It was live on Amazon earlier but showed as unavailable quite quickly. Some folks were able to order at £29.99. I ordered through Zavvi anyway, both steel and Ltd Ed Blu-ray at £17.99 each with discount code. Only thing that worries me with Zavvi is their shipping methods... :cautious:
It will be back at amazon it's not sold out

Zavvi should be fine with this release for shipping

Arrow Video
Due to overwhelming demand, we are currently experiencing technical difficulties with our Arrow Video Shop. We are working to get it back up as soon as possible.

Arrow Video Facebook

We are hoping that the Arrow store will be back up and running this weekend, but currently have no firm idea when

Arrow Films Website

15/07/2017 11:58 AM.
Unfortunately the site has been overwhelmed with demand following Friday's new release announcements.
We are working to increase capacity so that it can come back online for you all.
If you were able to place an order and got as far as make a payment on PayPal then these will be reflected on your account in due course. We have a backlog of payments to clear that we are working on.
Please be assured we working flat out on this after a night on it. There's no need to message or email for updates - they will be posted here for you when we have them.
Thanks very much for you support!